Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm connecting my 2012 Macbook Air via MiniDisplayPort to an old Apple Cinema Display (one of these displays)

Since my only thunderbolt port is occupied to connect to the display, is there a thunderbolt splitter that I could use so that I can also plug in my ethernet cable as well (via the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter)? Or any other alternative?

Flat-Line

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Only with a Matrox or Belkin thunderbolt hub.
Or if the Sonnet or Caldigit thunderbolt hubs are out yet, but not sure.
Thunderbolt Display is the probably the best option for your needs. You get the ethernet and extra ports plus higher resolution and more real estate.

Edit:
Plus you can use actually use the firewire 800 opposed to the firewire 400 that's left hanging on that Cinema Display, but you lose the matte display (vs the glossy).
Cost wise those thunderbolt hubs are $200+ which may be better spent put towards the cost of a newer display. Apple refurbs are $799.99 now I believe.

Last edited:

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Only with a Matrox or Belkin thunderbolt hub.
Or if the Sonnet or Caldigit thunderbolt hubs are out yet, but not sure.
Thunderbolt Display is the probably the best option for your needs. You get the ethernet and extra ports plus higher resolution and more real estate.

Edit:
Plus you can use actually use the firewire 800 opposed to the firewire 400 that's left hanging on that Cinema Display, but you lose the matte display (vs the glossy).
Cost wise those thunderbolt hubs are $200+ which may be better spent put towards the cost of a newer display. Apple refurbs are $799.99 now I believe.

Will this work? http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC704ZM/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter

Flat-Line

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
That will work however it might be a bit slower compare to the Thunderbolt to Gigabyte Ethernet adapter. (10/100 vs Giga). Haven't used the USB adapter myself but have had good experience with the Thunderbolt version.

Flat-Line

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
I just remembered there is another device that'll work besides the hubs mentioned before called the LandingZone. It's a docking station that has built in ethernet and USB's, a slot to fit your MagSafe. If I remember correctly it only supports mini display port passthrough and not Thunderbolt but in your case of using a DVI to MiniDP that should work. I believe there were two version, a lower end and higher end unit, priced around $100 and $200. The lower end only was essentially just a dock (video passthrough and charging, maybe a USB) and the higher end with Gigabyte plus more USB's or something like that. Still a bit high priced but if you're in need of an all-in-one docking station to use with existing peripherals than could be an option. I'll see find I can find a link and post it later.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just remembered there is another device that'll work besides the hubs mentioned before called the LandingZone. It's a docking station that has built in ethernet and USB's, a slot to fit your MagSafe. If I remember correctly it only supports mini display port passthrough and not Thunderbolt but in your case of using a DVI to MiniDP that should work. I believe there were two version, a lower end and higher end unit, priced around $100 and $200. The lower end only was essentially just a dock (video passthrough and charging, maybe a USB) and the higher end with Gigabyte plus more USB's or something like that. Still a bit high priced but if you're in need of an all-in-one docking station to use with existing peripherals than could be an option. I'll see find I can find a link and post it later.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll look into it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.