Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Need to use the Note one handed? Not a problem:

http://www.androidauthority.com/note-3-one-handed-operation-how-to-280458/

I'm really surprised this feature isn't mentioned more often.

YouTube: video

If Samsung can figure out a way to offer a larger screen while still giving people the ability to use it one handed, isn't it time to finally admit they're moving faster in the industry than Apple is? Isn't what Samsung is implementing more innovative than Apple just saying "nope, screens shouldn't be that big. Can't be used one handed. The end." ?

Kind of defeats the purpose of such a large screen then

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
This. +1 to u sir. At least someone on this forum knows the difference between usage time and on-screen time. Can't compare those two measurements; it's different. Bc there is no way ur iPhone screen is on for 8+ hours. No way.

actually usage time is on screen time on the iphone. The only time usage gets used when the iphone is off is when it checks email and getting text, and that sure doesn't build up hours of usage time. This is from Apple's on web site

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. iPhone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.

You have to remember it didn't do multitasking until ios 7 and I still get 8+ hrs on my phone. I'm one of those guys that always stare at my usage screen so if a lot mins are getting built up with out me knowing I would had noticed it. You would also see many ppl complaining on this forum about it too, because a lot of ppl also look at that screen a lot.

Last edited:

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
actually usage time is on screen time on the iphone. You have to remember it didn't do multitasking until ios 7 and I get 8+ hrs on my phone. I'm one of those guys that always stare at my usage screen so if mins were or are getting built up with out me knowing I would had noticed it.

i think the only usage when the screen is off can be Music

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
i think the only usage when the screen is off can be Music

No any sort of background task as well such as checking e-mail, syncing, playing music, and you don't really know how long it takes for the iphone to go back to sleep again after it has been woken, might be right away or could be a couple of minutes.

----------

actually usage time is on screen time on the iphone. The only time usage gets used when the iphone is off is when it checks email and getting text, and that sure doesn't build up hours of usage time. This is from Apple's on web site

You have to remember it didn't do multitasking until ios 7 and I still get 8+ hrs on my phone. I'm one of those guys that always stare at my usage screen so if a lot mins are getting built up with out me knowing I would had noticed it. You would also see many ppl complaining on this forum about it too, because a lot of ppl also look at that screen a lot.

I very much doubt people get 6+ hours of screen on time not with autobrightness on and considering the iPhones tiny battery.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.

If Samsung can figure out a way to offer a larger screen while still giving people the ability to use it one handed, isn't it time to finally admit they're moving faster in the industry than Apple is? Isn't what Samsung is implementing more innovative than Apple just saying "nope, screens shouldn't be that big. Can't be used one handed. The end." ?

Some of these functions are available in the note 2, but it's still really awkward to use one handed due to the weight and balancing issues in one hand. Still a great phone though and will miss it once its gone.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Please Share Your Opinions ?
Specially people who tried HTC ONE , note 2 , s4 and other high end android devices
1>bigger screens
2>apps
3>battery life
4>camera
5>build

GS4 user here

1) The screen is great. Big, bright and clear. Watching HD videos online or footage from my GoPro is a joy (though the hardware can't really playback 1080p @60fps :(). It's also a bit awkward to use one handed and I think iPhone screens are probably a bit better in general- like outdoor use.

2) Apps are decent. Most of the apps I use are on both platforms so no issues. I like that you have the flexibility to choose what you want as defaults though. The Play store has some good alternatives for mail etc.

3) Battery life is OK. My S4 will last throughout the day with moderate use but because it's still fairly new I'm playing about with it more then I normally would. I'd still carry around a charger on my busier days. It's probably slightly better than my 4S was.

4) The camera has a lot of shooting modes which are fun to play with, but is generally speaking poor. In the right conditions it will produce some vibrant shots, but otherwise you get blurred or noisy shots. It's currently my biggest gripe with the phone.

5) Build is OK. It's solid, the buttons are responsive etc. However Samsung absolutely do not have the same eye for detail as Apple. The front of the phone is fine. The bezels are tiny, it looks very smart and the dotted pattern under the glass has a nice aesthetic. But the sides and back let the phone down massively. Samsung also didn't bother much with the materials. This absolutely does not feel like a premium smartphone.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical. The phone is just kind of...there. It doesn't inspire any strong feelings. Maybe because it's only been a short while and I'm having withdrawal from being apart from my iPhone. Time will tell, though I doubt I'll keep this phone for too long.

farmD

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013

Again the 8 hours of usage time is a misconception. You seriously think you're using your phone for 8 hours? Doubt it. How about you actually time your screen being on throughout the day since it seems like you're on the phone for 8 hours. I would say you get 4 hours - maybe 5 hours top.

The keywords that apple define usage are "awake" and "background tasks". Phone can be awake when running in the background while the screen is off. As for android, they calculate based on the screen actually being visibly on/lit up.

I had an android phone w/ 1600 mA battery. Did the exact same daily tasks that I needed as I am doing now with my iPhone. Both were able to run its course for an entire day. Care to explain? Maybe I should somehow tackle on the hours that the android is running in the background to make the comparison more reasonable. Again, the measurements are different.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Kind of defeats the purpose of such a large screen then

How do you figure? You can switch to one hand mode when you need it, and switch back to regular mode when you want the space (like when working or watching movies...).

Best of both worlds, no?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Umm...what Samsung did was basically shrink the useable area of the screen down. So what's the difference between that and using a phone with a smaller screen?

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
I went from the Note 2, then the S4 to the 5s and couldnt be happier. Before I address the direct questions, i will say its mostly the "little things" that had me go to the iPhone. The radios in the iPhone are superior to the ones used in any Android. I can get LTE and reception in places I never could with any Android and the GPS locks immediately and accurately. Also the actual phone is better than any Android Ive had. Calls sound great and people tell me I sound great whether its regular use or speakerphone. Now to the specific questions.

Bigger screen: I do miss this at times but the 5s screen is so much brighter and easier to see in sunlight and IPS>>>Pentile.

Apps: Think this is an easy win for the iPhone. Even apps like FB and Instagram just work faster and are more responsive than their Android counterparts.

Battery life: I get better battery life from my 5s then my S4 and not much worse than the Note 2 I had. 5s battery also charges very fast which is a bonus. I could plug my S4 in to my car and only get like a 2-3% battery increase in 20 minutes or so. Can get close to 1% a minute on the 5s

Camera: This isnt even close, the 5s wins hands down. I was just able to use both the 5s and S4 together recently and the 5s was better in every way.

Build: Another area the 5s wins easily. Much more solid and quality compared to my S4 and Note 2. Its like the difference between a Mercedes using solid wood and materials to a Dodge using mostly plastic and cheaper parts.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Again the 8 hours of usage time is a misconception. You seriously think you're using your phone for 8 hours? Doubt it. How about you actually time your screen being on throughout the day since it seems like you're on the phone for 8 hours. I would say you get 4 hours - maybe 5 hours top.

The keywords that apple define usage are "awake" and "background tasks". Phone can be awake when running in the background while the screen is off. As for android, they calculate based on the screen actually being visibly on/lit up.

I had an android phone w/ 1600 mA battery. Did the exact same daily tasks that I needed as I am doing now with my iPhone. Both were able to run its course for an entire day. Care to explain? Maybe I should somehow tackle on the hours that the android is running in the background to make the comparison more reasonable. Again, the measurements are different.

Fell a sleep and my phone reads 23 mins of usage and standby is 6hr 2mins and still at 98%. What i did when i took my phone off charger? Was on ESPN app, sent a text, 1min phone call, went to operationsports, opened battery doctor, and downloaded a small app off of the app store. Did that in a 15min time span. As much as u dont like to believe my phone usage is mostly from my screen being on.

*edit*like i said before if it was the way u said it many ppl would be complaining and talking about it in the forum.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Umm...what Samsung did was basically shrink the useable area of the screen down. So what's the difference between that and using a phone with a smaller screen?

Choice.

You can switch to one hand mode when you need it, and switch back to regular mode when you want the space (like when working or watching movies...). You may never need the feature, but it's there.

Best of both worlds, no?

Last edited:

farmD

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
Note 2 and Other Android users who moved to iPhone

Fell a sleep and my phone reads 23 mins of usage and standby is 6hr 2mins and still at 98%. What i did when i took my phone off charger? Was on ESPN app, sent a text, 1min phone call, went to operationsports, opened battery doctor, and downloaded a small app off of the app store. Did that in a 15min time span. As much as u dont like to believe my phone usage is mostly from my screen being on.

*edit*like i said before if it was the way u said it many ppl would be complaining and talking about it in the forum.

Lol what you're saying makes what I justified more reasonable. The difference in your time - where does it come from. The numerical number doesn't add up and we don't even know the how much the background data contributes. We don't know the ratio between the two nor do we have hard facts in terms of calculating the "usage". Still your numbers don't add up.

The reason why I say this is that my android with 1600mA battery can last as long as the iPhone 5 with the same tasks on a daily basis. Android's 4 hour on screen time vs iPhone's 7-8 hr usage time. Just looking at the numbers, the difference looks drastic yet the both last til the end of the day.

Edit: lol just like the debate. iPhone does have tremendous standby time though. I'll give you that. Prolly the best.

Last edited:

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Best of both worlds, no?

No it's not..

When I use my phone both handed I need to have a really firm grip on it, since I mostly use it that way while riding a bike or so.
This feature only reduces the range my thumb has to go, but certainly not the overall physical size of the device. So I still can't grab it like I need to.

yeah, it's a neat feature that makes a good compromise between bigger size and usability, but its usability with one hand is far away from a phone which is smaller.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.