Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norbiheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Hi,

Is there any e-reader app out there (currently using Kindle & iBooks) that can highlight any type of format?

The books I buy, it's no problem to highlight and use the dictionary in Kindle. But as soon as I have a PDF from school and I need to highlight or use the dictionary, it's impossible.

Please, help me and either recommend me another e-reader that is better than Kindle and iBooks or help me figure out how I can enable to use the highlight/dictionary functions.

Many thanks!

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd recommend GoodReader for making notes on PDF files. It allows you to access multiple cloud storage options and upload marked PDFs back into the cloud.

norbiheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Thank you for he tip.

Although, isn't there an application that does all of this (so that you will not need to use 10 different apps)? For example take iBooks or Kindle, if they could besides reading books (bought) also highlight and incorporate the dictionaries in every format in the app, say PDF, EPub etc.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
iBooks cannot annotate PDF documents, hence why most people will recommend another app to annotate. GoodReader does have access to a dictionary to define words.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Thank you for he tip.

Although, isn't there an application that does all of this (so that you will not need to use 10 different apps)? For example take iBooks or Kindle, if they could besides reading books (bought) also highlight and incorporate the dictionaries in every format in the app, say PDF, EPub etc.

I haven't come across one. I use Kindle and Kobo for reading books, and iAnnotate or GoodReader for PDFs.

norbiheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Out of the question because I need the functions of highlighting etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.