Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jimmy-iovine-crop-324x285.jpg
Beats will launch its Beats Music service in the United States within the next couple of months, reports The Next Web. The service will be available via the web and an iOS app, directly competing with other available music services like Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, and Apple's newly released iTunes Radio.

According to Beats COO and president Luke Wood, Beats Music will focus on both content curation and playlists, with Beats hiring employees to create playlists based on artists, activities, and moods. iTunes Radio is also heavily curated.
"We're going to focus really heavily on playlists, because that's how we consume music and that's how most people consume music."

"We're talking about real depth of personalization and knowing who I am, who you are, what we're listening to, what we like, what we've listened to before and then offering up music that is highly relevant to our taste profile."
Prior to the launch of both Beats Music and iTunes Radio, Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine met with Apple executives to discuss its music subscription service, called "Project Daisy" at the time.

While Apple CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue expressed interest in Beats' model and rollout plans, no deal emerged between the two companies. Despite that, Apple and Beats maintain a close relationship, with Apple retail stores offering Beats products and using Beats by Dre headphones to demo iPods and other products.

Article Link: Beats to Launch Beats Music iOS App Within the Next Few Months

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Oh boy. The definitive name in music is coming out with a competing music service. How exciting.

/s

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Pandora
Spotify
iTunes Radio
Rdio
Beats
Etc.

This is going to be a very confusing era for new music lovers.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Choice is great and it helps keep a commoditized product's fairly priced. But the thing the music industry (and hopefully soon, TV and Hollywood) have never really come to terms with is that are an entertainment, a diversion. They way overvalue their voice and influence, which I suppose is why there is an endless list of music services that think THEY have something better to offer. Nothing says "hip and in" than a 60 year old who dresses like his grandkids.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Annoying pop music? No thanks, I will save my money and spend it on iTunes Radio or Spotify.

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Looks like it isn't competing with Pandora or iTunes Radio. From the sound of it, it's in direct competition with Spotify/Rdio/Google All Access but with their own flavor of a recommendation algorithm. I don't see it going anywhere, but Beats has some good marketing so we'll see.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
Beats bought MOG, probably the best of the music streaming services, about a year ago. I expect this will be a very competitive service if they keep the core technology and library MOG built.

pfc

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Beats bought MOG, probably the best of the music streaming services, about a year ago. I expect this will be a very competitive service if they keep the core technology and library MOG built.

I came here to say this. MOG failed to get the mindshare of Spotify, etc., but it's a superior product. I have no love for the Beats brand, but if it helps MOG prosper it's a good thing.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
Beats acquired Mog

It's just a rebranding of MOG whom Beats acquired in 2012. There haven't been any updates to MOG's iOS app since last year (other than ios7 support last week) which has been disappointing. Their iOS app needs a lot of love though, because it lacks lacks features.

Ellmer

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Brighton, UK
Annoying pop music? No thanks, I will save my money and spend it on iTunes Radio or Spotify.

If this is the supposed 'Project Daisy' then I'm pretty sure I remember Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails, How to Destroy Angels, The Social Network OST etc..) playing a pivotal role in the creation of the service. So I highly doubt it'll focus on just annoying pop music.

howdidislipinto

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
If this is the supposed 'Project Daisy' then I'm pretty sure I remember Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails, How to Destroy Angels, The Social Network OST etc..) playing a pivotal role in the creation of the service. So I highly doubt it'll focus on just annoying pop music.

It is indeed Project Daisy, and with the heavy involvement of the very talented Trent Reznor and Rob Sheridan, I think the results could be pretty interesting. According to Reznor, the point is to have more customization and involvement from the artists themselves -- something no other competing service can claim. Looking forward to the results.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I currently love Mog. I welcome this service, for as long as they still focus on the ALBUM format over single songs, and still give me daily recommendations! This, along with sound quality keeps me loving Mog!

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
150px-Beats_Electronics_logo.svg.png

So a really expensive shiny app (with the logo above) that does the same job as a less attractive app that costs 1/4 of the price?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Get over yourself dude.

Last time I checked (a few minutes ago actually) iTunes (and iTunes radio) also carried its fair share of 'annoying pop music'. It is a store-they can carry whatever sells.

Are you sure it is only pop music on iTunes Radio? Obviously you never used iTunes Radio or just have a narrow taste in good music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.