Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Hey folks - I have an old iPad 1 that won't turn on or do anything.

What should I do with it? I'm afraid to sell it in case someone can fix it and somehow access data on it, since it stopped working before I had a chance to clear anything off.

Any suggestions?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

What should I do with it? I'm afraid to sell it in case someone can fix it and somehow access data on it, since it stopped working before I had a chance to clear anything off.

Any suggestions?

find an old, old microwave, and a long extension cord. Put the microwave in the middle of a parking lot, and toast the iPad and microwave at the same time.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Ha - well that's one option.

I thought about a 2 story drop test. Or hammer. Or "will it blend". LOL.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If there is an Apple store near you, you could bring it there to confirm it can't be resurrected.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
If there is an Apple store near you, you could bring it there to confirm it can't be resurrected.

Yeah - I already did that. They said they could replace it for $200. LOL. I said no thanks and just replaced it with an iPad2 refurb for about the same price. (This was a while back).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yeah - I already did that. They said they could replace it for $200. LOL. I said no thanks and just replaced it with an iPad2 refurb for about the same price. (This was a while back).

I wasn't suggesting that you replace it -- since you were concerned about somebody being able to lift data off your device, I thought if Apple couldn't revive it, then that'll be a pretty good indicator that nobody could.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I wasn't suggesting that you replace it -- since you were concerned about somebody being able to lift data off your device, I thought if Apple couldn't revive it, then that'll be a pretty good indicator that nobody could.

Oh - got it. Unfortunately, they were not very helpful. They just confirmed they couldn't get it to boot up after trying some things in the back. Maybe I'll just hang onto it for posterity. ;)

Corey Gibson

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Morrisville NC

Any suggestions?

You should bronze it and turn it in to a time piece that you can show your grandkids or keep as a momento.

"This was cutting edge in my day...."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.