Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It would be really interesting to see where mobile phone photography, and photography in general will be in a decades time. God bless technology!

Panaroma advancements, then 3D? Have no idea if practical but could be interesting.

I guess you fail at simple math. If each picture is about 8mb x 4000 = 32000 or 32 gigs. 64 gig iPhone can easily handle...

All due respect, the "you fail" comments are not only rude, insulting and unnecessary, but as tiresome as "is it snappier?" (don't reprimand me for using "snappier" maflynn, reference use only).

Try this instead:

"Actually, calculating the math results in..."

You'll catch more flies while proving internet anonymity doesn't always turn people into smug ****** (not a bad word, but not taking chances). :)

On point, if that pic is from the new 5S camera, that is impressive.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You and you're math. The post was obviously satirical. Plus once you put your music, a ton of apps, toss in a few videos...the poster actually has a point.

Honestly, it was the first thought that popped into my head as every few days I have to purge a ton of pictures from my phone if I want to take more. What can I say, I love my cats.

EDIT: I mean your rather than you're in the first sentence...dang autocorrect

Perhaps the pro photog has actually figured out how to use his equipment instead of bitching about it online.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Would like to see a no bias, factual comparison with the Nokia/Windows, Samsung and 41MP images from normal light to dark settings.

There are a lot of reviews on the internet already. I would recommend to read through Anandtech's in depth review.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I thought this was great until I read the guys description of the camera. Sounds like it's straight out of a commercial. I mean come on, "intoxicating" "stunningly" "amazingly" - those all sound like they were picked out of the samsung booklet.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Can't wait, just purchased a Mac book Air, 11 inch, but really want the 5S, I am still running around with a 4 and it works great, but photography is very so so at best. :eek:

I had an iPhone 3G, and it was nice to be able to take pictures with it, but they weren't anything I wanted to share.

Then I had an iPhone 4, and its camera was an order of magnitude better. I took some great pictures with it, of the English and Welsh countryside, the Olympic peninsula, the Great Wall of China. They even look good printed out in a book from iTunes.

The photos from my iPhone 5 are even better. When I upgrade to the iPhone 6, I expect all the improvements that are in the 5S, plus maybe a little more.

I'm impressed by the photos from the Nokia 41MP camera phones. Not enough to switch. I owned the first iPhone, which didn't have a camera. The camera is not the primary criterion I used to select a phone. But I'm glad that the iPhone cameras let me take good pictures.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I owned the first iPhone, which didn't have a camera. The camera is not the primary criterion I used to select a phone. But I'm glad that the iPhone cameras let me take good pictures.

First iPhone had a 2 megapixel camera. It didn't have autofocus, which made it hardly useful for any kind of photography, but it was there.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I can't believe a professional said this:

"Best of all it shoots square pictures natively, a real plus for me since I wanted to shoot for Instagram posting."

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :eek:

Ouch. I can understand personal photo sharing, but as a professional photographer attesting to the "stellar" quality of a phone camera, such a comment seems... misplaced in context.

driphone

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Maybe I am a simple being but a cell phone taking pics like these...?

I AM impressed.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Can't wait, just purchased a Mac book Air, 11 inch, but really want the 5S, I am still running around with a 4 and it works great, but photography is very so so at best. :eek:

It might just be that the screen is better. Initially reviewers thought the 5 camera was miles better than the 4s, only to transfer them to a computer and realize they were virtually indistinguishable.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
The white balance of that photo is horrible. It is way too cool and there is too much magenta as well. It also looks about a stop underexposed - where are the highlights?

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
What's with all the Instagram hate in this thread? It's exactly like Twitter. You curate your own stream and only see selfies if you follow selfie-inclined people. There are plenty of talented photographers sharing breathtaking work on Instagram every day.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The white balance of that photo is horrible. It is way too cool and there is too much magenta as well. It also looks about a stop underexposed - where are the highlights?

And yet here you are posting on MR, and he's getting press as a photographer for NG.

My experience is that the people who know just enough about the technical aspects of photography, but have the artistic touch take WAY better pictures than people who know all the tech, but have no touch.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's excellent I agree.

Recently on a trip I decided to not even bring out my D800E for my quick excursions out. The iPhone 5s was more than adequate when the lighting conditions were sufficient.

Even with printing, it was excellent.

That said in low light settings, it's nothing compared to a real camera.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Don't need Storage

He can take up to 25,000 with no size limit and not run out of space.
All photos taken immediately are uploaded into iCloud. He can have no space on his iPhone and still take 25,000 pictures. Within the month, he can simply sync up to iPhotos automatically. Better if his macbook was online connected to the internet, it will automatically import the photo streams within couple of seconds after the photos were taken.

My Photo Stream upload limits:
Uploads to My Photo Stream per hour: 1000 photos
Uploads to My Photo Stream per day: 10,000 photos
Uploads to My Photo Stream per month: 25,000 photos

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4858?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013
I think I have seen this news several weeks before elsewhere... :p

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10274705/Nokia-Lumia-1020-smartphone-photos-to-appear-in-National-Geographic.html

http://www.nationalgeographic.com...

BTW, will any of these iPhone 5s photos make it to the actual magazine like the Lumia did? I couldnt' find that in the article. It seems the photographer just want to put the images in Instagram. If that's the case, I am not sure if there is a huge difference between 5s and 5 or even 4s (all having similar, evolutionary, imaging systems).

Still, iPhone 5s has a great camera for what it is (A phone, with a very slim profile), that's for sure. :)

Marc

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I think I have seen this news several weeks before elsewhere... :p

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10274705/Nokia-Lumia-1020-smartphone-photos-to-appear-in-National-Geographic.html

http://www.nationalgeographic.com...

BTW, will any of these iPhone 5s photos make it to the actual magazine like the Lumia did? I couldnt' find that in the article. It seems the photographer just want to put the images in Instagram. If that's the case, I am not sure if there is a huge difference between 5s and 5 or even 4s (all having similar, evolutionary, imaging systems).

Still, iPhone 5s has a great camera for what it is (A phone, with a very slim profile), that's for sure. :)

Marc

The 5s is superior to the 4 for sure. Where the 5s wins out is the dynamic exposure. You get bloom/blowout on the other 5 and 5c.

Also, here's a great site comparison with a TON of photos.

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c-vs-iphone-5-camera-shootout

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
He can take up to 25,000 with no size limit and not run out of space.
All photos taken immediately are uploaded into iCloud. He can have no space on his iPhone and still take 25,000 pictures. Within the month, he can simply sync up to iPhotos automatically. Better if his macbook was online connected to the internet, it will automatically import the photo streams within couple of seconds after the photos were taken.

My Photo Stream upload limits:
Uploads to My Photo Stream per hour: 1000 photos
Uploads to My Photo Stream per day: 10,000 photos
Uploads to My Photo Stream per month: 25,000 photos

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4858?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Incorrect. No matter how many photo your device uploads to iCloud Photo Stream, only the most recent 1,000 are kept there.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
In other words, "It's very good at what it does." However, for the things it doesn't do – such as optical telephoto, action, and selective use of depth of field – there's still a lot of very good reasons to carry a dedicated camera.

Rhymecrafter

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Ashland, OR USA
It might just be that the screen is better. Initially reviewers thought the 5 camera was miles better than the 4s, only to transfer them to a computer and realize they were virtually indistinguishable.

That may be, but I have a 4 not a 4S and from what I can see the 5S is light years ahead of that... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.