Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Hi all

I am hoping for some advice, but feel like a bit of a plonker asking really. Having recently just passed my driving test I have never been in this position before.

I had a problem with the gearbox/clutch on my car. when the clutch is pressed my car makes a clicking/tapping/rattling noise. I took it to a local clutch 'expert' who advise me it is definitely not the clutch. I took it to a garage that was recommended to me, who had a quick look over and advise me it 'sounds like the gearbox' - so he orders me a second hand one in.

my question: if it is not the gearbox, and the sound persists where do I stand? I could be spending around £300 on something that is not broken.

I don't want to be an idiot about it, however I did go to him for advice and he suggested that. Or is it the case with garages that suggestions are made in good faith?

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Is the car moving at all? Why don't you take it to another garage to have a look and see what they say? You should always get multiple quotes if you don't know the garage or what he problem is.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Is the car moving at all? Why don't you take it to another garage to have a look and see what they say?

Yeah car moves ok. it does struggle in certain gears (mainly 3rd) - when climbing hills (but going fast enough) the noise is very prominent. It also but sometimes struggles to go into 1st and 3rd.

kggf

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
Sounds like some of the teeth inside the gearbox might be grinded down. I guess someone grinded it until it fits.

Whats the milage?

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
its a Ford Fiesta 2004 (Sep) with 92k on clock

oh yeah, it also grinds the gears (crunching noise) if I go from neutral to reverse, but 1st to reverse is fine

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.