Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Not that anyone cares, but I managed to solve a problem for myself after stupidly updating one of my apps.

I use the My Alarm Clock app by Apalon for my bedside clock each night. They just released a version 2.0 of the app a day or so ago that's optimized for iOS 7. The App store didn't warn me about any conflicts and it didn't specifically prohibit iOS 6 so I updated it. The app started but all I got was a blank screen.

So I emailed the dev. We got as far as me mentioning I was jailbroken before he cut me off. Apparently Apalon doesn't support jailbroken iDevices. :rolleyes:

It was suggested that my JB was the problem. Which is BS because the app was working just fine before I updated.

So, after thinking a while I decided to put iFile to good use. This is where having more than one jailbroken device with mutual apps installed is good. My iPhone 3GS has an older version of this app because I don't update it much .Using iFile on my iPhone 3GS I zipped the app up and transferred it to my iPhone 5 via Dropbox. I then unzipped it and renamed it with the name of the current 2.0 version of the app and then deleted the 2.0 version. I then booted into Safe Mode and ran the app. It worked. Another reboot and the older version of the app is working just like it used to again.

In the future I will avoid any updates to this app until I'm on iOS 7.

Again, not that anyone really cares, but maybe this might help somebody.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
How exactly did you ZIP the app ? Did you extract the IPA on the phone and transferred the IPA to iPhone 5 or did you zip the entire folder of the app and extracted the folder back in iPhone 5 ?

Asking because i was trying to see if there is a way to fetch the app's IPA from within the device.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I selected the app folder in ifile and used the zip file creation tool in iFile to create it. It compressed it in to one zip file which I then moved to Dropbox from my 3GS.

Using iFile on my 5 I moved the zip file from Dropbox to the applications folder on my 5 and unzipped it using iFile.

I paid for iFile so I don't know if this is a feature on the free version (I know connecting to Dropbox isn't).

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Man I wish I had done something like this when i accidentally updated to the newer youtube app. It broke protube extensions for me.:( I don't have an older copy of the version laying around anymore.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I think I heard that now the app store in your iPhone downloads the latest version possible for your phone? Might be wrong though.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I think I heard that now the app store in your iPhone downloads the latest version possible for your phone? Might be wrong though.

It does except in the case of YouTube, both the oldest and the version before the oldest works on the phone so then it downloads the latest version

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
That's my understanding. However, the dev claims that the My Alarm Clock app still works on iOS 6 despite being optimized for iOS 7. He claims that because he's not heard anything from non-jailbroken iOS 6.x users that's proof that it functions on iOS 6. My jailbreak of course is the problem.

I call BS because the previous version works with my jailbreak and has since February when I originally jailbroke.

Note, originally I just copied the app folder to Dropbox. But I went back and used a zip file because my thinking was that it would preserve permissions. I did a cursory check of that and it seems that I was correct in that assumption. But, IDK because I didn't try it just by moving the app folder over itself.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
That's my understanding. However, the dev claims that the My Alarm Clock app still works on iOS 6 despite being optimized for iOS 7. He claims that because he's not heard anything from non-jailbroken iOS 6.x users that's proof that it functions on iOS 6. My jailbreak of course is the problem.

I call BS because the previous version works with my jailbreak and has since February when I originally jailbroke.

Note, originally I just copied the app folder to Dropbox. But I went back and used a zip file because my thinking was that it would preserve permissions. I did a cursory check of that and it seems that I was correct in that assumption. But, IDK because I didn't try it just by moving the app folder over itself.

My 4S is still running iOS6jb, but the app cost 0.99, if it was free I would have tried it out for you. I would say leave a bad review on iTunes for the current version, devs hate that and will try to see whats the issue. I use Wake N Shake myself because I'm a heavy sleeper.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My 4S is still running iOS6jb, but the app cost 0.99, if it was free I would have tried it out for you. I would say leave a bad review on iTunes for the current version, devs hate that and will try to see whats the issue. I use Wake N Shake myself because I'm a heavy sleeper.
Well, the free app is actually named differently. It's Alarm Clock+.

But I bought this app a long time ago. I like the LED clock and it works in landscape mode and has weather. I keep my iPhone in a business card holder by my bed at night so this app is easily the one I use most on a daily basis. I have 1001 other clock apps too, many of which I also purchased but I keep coming back to this one.

I might give a bad review though…that's a thought. Oh…yeah, I also have the app running on my Mac Pro at work. The company makes it for OS X too.

Not to knock your suggestion but I generally avoid anything that requires me to shake my phone in the morning (and in general). I'm a klutz and I don't need to be using my Applecare+ ADH because I was trying to shut off an alarm while half-asleep. :D

I have to be a light sleeper when it comes to alarms. My wife is a light sleeper and if my alarm wakes her up there is hell to pay.

That said I will take a look at it though because I like clock apps. Thanks!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Well, the free app is actually named differently. It's Alarm Clock+.

But I bought this app a long time ago. I like the LED clock and it works in landscape mode and has weather. I keep my iPhone in a business card holder by my bed at night so this app is easily the one I use most on a daily basis. I have 1001 other clock apps too, many of which I also purchased but I keep coming back to this one.

I might give a bad review though…that's a thought. Oh…yeah, I also have the app running on my Mac Pro at work. The company makes it for OS X too.

Not to knock your suggestion but I generally avoid anything that requires me to shake my phone in the morning (and in general). I'm a klutz and I don't need to be using my Applecare+ ADH because I was trying to shut off an alarm while half-asleep. :D

I have to be a light sleeper when it comes to alarms. My wife is a light sleeper and if my alarm wakes her up there is hell to pay.

That said I will take a look at it though because I like clock apps. Thanks!

Ha, yeah I live alone and sleep too little and have to get to the hospital on time or else. Wake N Shake can adjust how much shaking you need to unlock it. I have tried many clock apps and so far it's the only one that wakes me up w/out having to use a dock w/ music alarm since mine is 30pin one. If you are a light sleeper then is overkill and your wife might kill you lol Also the WnS app only has one alarm, if you want multi is an add-on for an extra $1 which is stupid.

Downloaded the free version on my 4S w/ iOS6jb and works fine, I tested the alarm.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Ha, yeah I live alone and sleep too little and have to get to the hospital on time or else. Wake N Shake can adjust how much shaking you need to unlock it. I have tried many clock apps and so far it's the only one that wakes me up w/out having to use a dock w/ music alarm since mine is 30pin one. If you are a light sleeper then is overkill and your wife might kill you lol Also the WnS app only has one alarm, if you want multi is an add-on for an extra $1 which is stupid.

Downloaded the free version on my 4S w/ iOS6jb and works fine, I tested the alarm.
Yeah, I was back to using the free version (Alarm Clock+) for awhile until I decided to try my hand at reverting. I actually however, use the standard iOS Clock app alarms. Jailbreaking is cool in this because I use an alarm sound that I had on my previous phone (HTC Touch Pro) that I was able to copy over. My reasoning for that is that sometimes there may be a reboot of the device or a power failure or anything that causes a reboot. The iOS alarm will still sound at the lockscreen if that happens, which means I still get woken up. An alarm set by one of these clock apps won't trigger unless the app is open, which can't happen at the lock screen. Too, while I like the aesthetics of the My Alarm Clock app, I don't care at all for it's alarms or the interface it uses to shut them off. Too much chance of waking my wife!

I'm actually a very heavy sleeper, but the possibility of getting killed by my wife is one of those few things that can make me wake up instantly when my alarm goes off, hehehe! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.