Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix has updated its iOS app to version 5.0, bringing various new features including HD video quality and support for AirPlay streaming for devices on iOS 7, with the latter requiring the user to disable the AirPlay mirroring feature. The update also contains playback optimizations and general stability improvements.

netflix_hd_2.png
Netflix released the last major update for its iOS app in April, which brought a minor design and the addition of an episode selector on the iPad. The company also added a multiple profile option for its app on Apple TV in August, and added a "Super HD" option for all users and additional devices last week, including support for the feature on the 3rd generation Apple TV.

Netflix is a free app for the iPhone and iPad and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Netflix Updates iOS App with HD Video and AirPlay Support

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
School me on the need for the AirPlay feature - if I have an AppleTV to AirPlay to, then I have a Netflix app on my TV...

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
School me on the need for the AirPlay feature - if I have an AppleTV to AirPlay to, then I have a Netflix app on my TV...

It might come in handy at friend's house who doesn't have a Netflix account, yet has an Apple TV?

alex.sebenski

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Schooled

Example: You're on your way home from work on the bus watching Orange is the New Black and halfway through the episode you get home and want to finish watching on your couch. You turn on the TV, hit the AirPlay button and sit down.

VS.

You get home, stop the app, turn on your TV, grab the Apple TV remote, start up the Apple TV Netflix app, browse to Recently Watched, hit Orange is the New Black, hit the episode you were watching, hit resume playback.

You skip approx. 4-5 steps in this use-case which makes it a lot faster and easier to use.

----

For those of your who are going to say "who uses cellular date to watch Netflix", replace bus/work with toilet/other room on Wifi. Still works.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Example: You're on your way home from work on the bus watching Orange is the New Black and halfway through the episode you get home and want to finish watching on your couch. You turn on the TV, hit the AirPlay button and sit down.

VS.

You get home, stop the app, turn on your TV, grab the Apple TV remote, start up the Apple TV Netflix app, browse to Recently Watched, hit Orange is the New Black, hit the episode you were watching, hit resume playback.

You skip approx. 4-5 steps in this use-case which makes it a lot faster and easier to use.

----

For those of your who are going to say "who uses cellular date to watch Netflix", replace bus/work with toilet/other room on Wifi. Still works.

Then you have to leave the Netflix app open on your iPad or iPhone. I like to be able to use my device while watching netflix on my AppleTV

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
there was no HD on Netflix before? Or was it 720p only? Looked good on the iPad (retina) already though...
For an example of proper high definition streaming, HD television shows on Hulu looks (or has looked) a whole lot better than Netflix on the iPad.

oliverlubin

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Super HD

Netflix on Apple TV now shows format as "Super HD" after software update. Don't think it said this before, but maybe? I have notice more picture degradation recently so while they may be pushing better HD, there's something not working about streaming it well.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Then you have to leave the Netflix app open on your iPad or iPhone. I like to be able to use my device while watching netflix on my AppleTV

The Netflix app can continue streaming in the background while you use your iOS device for other things - just like if you send a video from the Video app or Youtube.

NekoFever

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005

AirPlay is in more than Apple TV. XBMC has it, as do many AV receivers. I'm sure there are implementations that I'm not aware of as well.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You could browse and control Netflix using your iPad instead of the terrible infrared remote that the Apple TV comes with.

Exactly this. The Netflix / Home Sharing type interface for selecting content is far better than scrolling through long lists with that remote, or even using gestures in the Remote app.

In my experience (on an ATV2) though, the video quality is far worse when doing this (very compressed, and low framerate) in comparison to using the Netflix app on the ATV2.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Reviews on the app store are claiming that airplay is sending audio only. Can anyone confirm?

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Seems to have the same problem with HD as the browser based Netflix in that for some reason some shows/movies aren't available in HD.
If a page for a show/movie like Breaking Bad says "Available in HD on your TV" that means it won't be in HD on your iPad :mad:.

RedBear

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
Well, yes and no

Reviews on the app store are claiming that airplay is sending audio only. Can anyone confirm?

It's only AirPlaying the audio for me.

Wait, no. In the middle of writing this post it started playing the video on the Apple TV as well. WTF? I almost didn't even notice when it changed.

So, yeah. I can both confirm and deny. LOL.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
This update broke support for AirServer and no longer allows mirroring even if you want to.
I have to do this because my house is in a rural location and we have no phone lines or cable. Only cellular data to watch netflix on my unlimited data plan. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.