Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
In the Google Maps app, you can zoom with one finger by tapping then sliding, like a double-tap but the second touch is a slide. I find this quite useful because I often hold and use my phone with one hand while the other hand is writing/typing/eating/carrying things/etc.

So I'm wondering if there is a tweak that enables tap-then-slide up/down to zoom in every zoomable view, or at least in every webview.

If there is not, how difficult would it be for me, as someone who has programmed in C/Objective-C/Matlab/a few other languages but never before made a jailbreak tweak, to make it as my first foray into the realm of iOS modding?

I've seen a few resources for hooking into the runtime and modifying methods, but if you have any good links/tutorials that would be helpful. Also, if you happen to know what exactly I'd have to make it listen for in order to grab tap-then-slide gestures the "right way", I'm all ears.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
In the Google Maps app, you can zoom with one finger by tapping then sliding, like a double-tap but the second touch is a slide. I find this quite useful because I often hold and use my phone with one hand while the other hand is writing/typing/eating/carrying things/etc.

So I'm wondering if there is a tweak that enables tap-then-slide up/down to zoom in every zoomable view, or at least in every webview.

If there is not, how difficult would it be for me, as someone who has programmed in C/Objective-C/Matlab/a few other languages but never before made a jailbreak tweak, to make it as my first foray into the realm of iOS modding?

I've seen a few resources for hooking into the runtime and modifying methods, but if you have any good links/tutorials that would be helpful. Also, if you happen to know what exactly I'd have to make it listen for in order to grab tap-then-slide gestures the "right way", I'm all ears.

Double tapping with one finger zooms in. A single tap with 2 fingers zoom out

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010

This is both factually inaccurate and unhelpful.

Try the Google Maps app to see what I am talking about: free zooming as if pinching with 2 fingers, while only using 1. I do not want step-by-step zooming, I want continuous zooming.

Nanook

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
LA, CA

Gee thanks. Tell me how you can tap with two fingers with one hand easily.

OP, I was overjoyed when I discovered Google Maps did that. Finally true one handed operation. I would pay money for a tweak that enabled that in all zooming apps.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
This is both factually inaccurate and unhelpful.

Try the Google Maps app to see what I am talking about: free zooming as if pinching with 2 fingers, while only using 1. I do not want step-by-step zooming, I want continuous zooming.

I apologize; I did not realize you were talking about continuous zooming

----------

Gee thanks. Tell me how you can tap with two fingers with one hand easily.

OP, I was overjoyed when I discovered Google Maps did that. Finally true one handed operation. I would pay money for a tweak that enabled that in all zooming apps.

No need to be harsh about it; I misunderstood the question and most people don't even know you can tap with 2 fingers to zoom out

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I'm accustomed to doing it using 2 fingers, the way google maps has it feels uncomfortable for me, maybe because I have been using just iPhones for the last 3 contracts.

My guess is the tweak can have issues on safari, unless you create your own internet app using the available API and just mods the zooming in.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I'm accustomed to doing it using 2 fingers, the way google maps has it feels uncomfortable for me, maybe because I have been using just iPhones for the last 3 contracts.

My guess is the tweak can have issues on safari, unless you create your own internet app using the available API and just mods the zooming in.

Erm, you are aware that Google Maps still uses standard 2-finger zooming as well, right? It simply adds an additional option to zoom with 1 finger. That way people can seamlessly use whichever method they prefer, without any hassle.

Having both options is strictly superior to just having one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.