Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rizajj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I've got a 4s running untethered JB of 5.1.1. Everything works great.

Getting a 5s tomorrow. I realize I will lose all my JB stuff. But, is there a way to save that info for the future? For instance, if I use AptBackup prior to doing a final backup with iTunes on the 4s, will I someday later be able to get all my Cydia apps back and configured when iOS7 is finally jailbroken, whenever that is?

Hope this question makes sense!

thanks!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Some JB tweaks might not be caompatible with the next iOS version.

Going from 1 major iOS to the next (5.1.1 to 7) it is recommended to setup your phone as new.

It is a hassle to set it up again, but it will prevent problems with non-compatible tweaks or settings.

rizajj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks!
So you think weird tweaks might carry over into the non-JB 5s?

Do you think it's at least worth trying once to do a restore onto the 5s, and if it seems wonky, I can just start from scratch?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Thanks!
So you think weird tweaks might carry over into the non-JB 5s?

Do you think it's at least worth trying once to do a restore onto the 5s, and if it seems wonky, I can just start from scratch?

Yes. You can always try; just make sure that if you're doing risky stuff, apple is still signing a jailbreakable firmware

I'd also recommend starting from scratch too as some tweaks may not work if not updated

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Obviously, setting up as new is always the preferred choice.
And I would not restore to backup since this can introduce bits of orphaned jailbroken code into your "clean" firmware.

Restore content using the tabs in iTunes.

And doing a mass restore of jailbroken hacks is dangerous. Since many will not be iOS7 compatible, you will have a mess figuring which of the many hacks are causing your new phone not to function correctly.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It makes sense only if you want a headache, start it all from scratch on the new phone and save yourself issues.

rizajj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
one last JB question (unlock/SAM?)

OK, I will just go for setting up as a new phone.

Last question (didn't want to make another topic unless I dont get any answers here):

I'm going to request an unlock (and execute it) for my 4S prior to activating my new 5s. This is the preferred order of operations, correct?

How do I do this without losing my JB (I have no SHSH blobs saved) on the 4s?

Can I just use SAM? Will that work in this case without doing an iTunes restore?

thanks!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I HIGHLY recommend you back up all your App Store apps using AppBackup (not to be confused with AptBackup) on your 4s. This way when then 5s is jailbroken, you can restore all your game saves/progress, app settings, and app data. I do this for every upgrade. I have app data from several years ago. Can't say enough great things about AppBackup. iCloud is a step in the right direction, but no where near as useful as AppBackup. Just my 2¢. Only valuable if you want to keep your specific App Store app data.

Edit: I have a link to a tutorial if you'd like it.

Last edited:

rizajj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Tutorial please!

Would love a link to the tutorial if possible.

Thanks for the tip on AppBackup, I will check it out now.

anyone else have thoughts on the unlock situation I mentioned above?

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
The only things I really hate about starting from scratch are because of Apple's idiotic backup and restore policies. If you restore as new, there is no way to get your sms/iMessages with attachments onto the restored as new device. I believe the same holds true for voicemail and call history. There is info on the web about getting your sms/iMessages transferred over using iBackupBot but I tried and it does not work with the iPhone 5s/iOS 7. You can get your photos back using iTunes photo syncing but only in medium resolution and you can't put them back in the camera roll. If you want the full resolution photos restored, you have to use something like iTools.

And I am, of course, talking about non-jailbroken devices in the above statements.

I buy 64GB devices because I like having everything with me.

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Would love a link to the tutorial if possible.

Thanks for the tip on AppBackup, I will check it out now.

anyone else have thoughts on the unlock situation I mentioned above?

Here you go! Let me know if you have any questions. I've done this soooo many times. I swear by it. What's awesome is, once you have the backups saved to your computer, Dropbox, USB, whatever, you don't have to install any of those apps until you want/need to. For example, the infinity blades takes over a GB of space on your device. So if you want to save space and not install it, then you now have that option. Then in the future, if you ever get the urge to play, you just install the app, restore the backup using AppBackup, and you can pick up right where you left off! The absolute best part about this app, you can ALWAYS restore as new every time you restore your iOS. This obviously has great benefits like preventing stability issues due to jailbreak code carrying over and better battery life.

Anyways, I can go on and on about why this is a must have package for every jailbreaker. Here's the link to the tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://m.imore.com/app-data-appbackup-jailbreak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.