Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Both Apple's iPhone and iPad continue to remain popular with U.S. teenagers, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster's latest semiannual teen survey. 55 percent of teens now own an iPhone, compared to just 48 percent from a survey conducted in April and 40 percent in the fall of 2012.
Our most recent semi-annual Teen survey demonstrates that Apple remains the most popular tech brand amongst teens. As of Fall 2013, the iPhone represented nearly 55% all phones used by teens and the iPad family remained at close to 70% share of tablet ownership. We believe that while Samsung seemingly had some momentum with teens over the past year, Apple's brand and product quality has enabled it to remain the top choice for teen consumer electronics.
When it comes to tablets, 56 percent of teens own one, up from 51 percent in April. 68 percent of those own an iPad (60% full-sized, 8% mini), which is the same percentage that owned an Apple tablet in the spring, though ownership has shifted slightly towards the mini (63% full-sized, 5% mini).

As for future ownership, 65 percent of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone, up from 62 percent. Of teens that expect to get a tablet in the next six months, 64 percent plan to get an iPad. Android tablets have seen increasing interest from the younger age group as well, thanks to low-priced options like the Kindle Fire HD.

teensurveyiphonesipads-800x483.jpg
For those teens who expect to purchase a tablet in the next 6 months, 64% said they plan on buying an iPad, thus it appears that Apple should be able to maintain its tablet share. Given iPad segment ASP changes, it is apparent that the iPad Mini is growing in popularity; however, based on the purchase intent for teens, it appears that the full-sized iPad remains highly desired. We note that a design change in the near future could help demand and consequently ASPs.
Though Samsung has attempted to portray the iPhone as a device for "uncool" parents, Munster's newest survey suggests that the iPhone continues to gain market share among teens while Android phones become less popular with the group.

Younger customers have always been important to Apple as it gives the company a chance to create lifelong customers. Apple's recently released iPhone 5c seems to be targeted at a younger crowd in particular, with its lower price point and colorful design.

Though iPads have lost market share among teenagers over the last two years, they could see a significant popularity surge in the future, as Apple prepares to launch a redesigned fifth-generation tablet iPad and a Retina iPad mini.

Article Link: iPad and iPhone Usage Remains Strong Among U.S. Teenagers

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
But but...everyone said Apple wasn't cool anymore.

Remember this chick Tina Wells from Buzz Marketing.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/10/iphone-surface-teen-survey-287400/

BTW that article has disappeared from their own marketing website...wonder why Tina Wells...wonder why. Apple insider posted this...great piece on it.

The continued U.S. growth of iOS at the expense of Android and Blackberry is also noteworthy given that this summer was marked by incessant reports of Apple's supposed failure to "innovate," along with frequently stated concerns about Samsung's purported encroachment upon Apple's business.

Among these memes was a widely published report stating that 'teens no longer found Apple "cool,"' instead preferring Samsung's Galaxy brand along with Microsoft's Surface. After months of being broadly syndicated, largely without criticism, that headline now generates 189 million search results from Google.""Teens are telling us Apple is done” - Tina Wells, Buzz"

Those reports can be traced back to one source: Buzz Marketing Group, run by Tina Wells, who issued the report and was subsequently quoted by Fortune as saying "Teens are telling us Apple is done.”

Wells added, "Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older [Millennials], but I don’t think they are connecting with Millennial kids [who are] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy."

Since January, however, Apple's iPhones subsequently outsold Samsung's higher end Galaxy phones, despite a series of flashy new product launches and aggressive smartphone discounting and promotion by Samsung. Meanwhile, the Surface turned out to a huge dud for Microsoft across all demographics, generating a write-off of nearly a billion dollars.

All mention of the "iPhone isn't cool" study, which was formerly prominently featured on the research firm's website, has since been removed.​

Last edited:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
These stats are why I laugh (in a bad way) at the Nokia commercials where the 1 dude says to the 50+ year old lady "aren't you a little young to have an iPhone". Nokia is trying to say iPhones are for old people I guess, but they are way too trendy among the youth to make that commercial credible.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Personnel experience.

I know lots of people with an android device or have no cell phone that want an iphone. Then they get the iphone, use it for several years then buy a non-apple phone.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Though Samsung has attempted to portray the iPhone as a device for "uncool" parents, Munster's newest survey suggests that the iPhone continues to gain market share among teens while Android phones become less popular with the group.

More of them own an iPhone than in Spring 2013 (55% versus 48%). But the chart doesn't mention Android ownership. It does show that in Spring 2013, 23% thought their next phone would be Android. In Fall 2013 it's now 24%, so that's actually *more* popular in terms of future purchase plans (although I'm sure that it doesn't even fall into the margin of error, so it's basically no change).

So I don't see based on the information in the chart how you can say it shows that Android is less popular than it was. Not trying to be difficult, but I think it's better to say iPhone is still more popular in terms of ownership and their popularity increased more than Samsung did for intended next purchase, but it doesn't show that Android is less popular than it was before, per se.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Simple minded people use simple to use devices.

My (mid-30's) friend at work says exactly that, and that is why he loves his iphone. He finds android too geeky and complicated. Apple nailed the pick up and play market - no shame in that.

Edit:
Some people on here seem to be taking your comment rather personally, getting all defensive (and attacking) when you were making a general observation. Actions do speak louder than words.

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
iPhone 5c for Christmas.... I'm predicting it will be the most popular smartphone in December 2013 in the USA.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Or maybe people just want their phone to work for them, instead of the other way around…

I'm a tech person. A very successful and well paid tech person. I've bought, owned and sold 6 Android devices (Actually gave 2 of them away). But when I want a phone that works and does what I need it to do, I use an iPhone.

I don't need to impress you or anyone else with my tech prowess. I just need my device to be reliable, secure and work well.

Last edited by a moderator:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Or maybe people just want their phone to work for them, instead of the other way around…

I'm a tech person. A very successful and well paid tech person. I've bought, owned and sold 6 Android devices (Actually gave 2 of them away). But when I want a phone that works and does what I need it to do, I use an iPhone.

I don't need to impress you or anyone else with my tech prowess. I just need my device to be reliable, secure and work well.

If you own an HTC One or Samsung S4 - it's easy to use right out of the box. You don't need to be a techie. You don't need to customize anything. They (and iPhones) are ALL great phones.

All tech has SOME learning curve for new or migrating users.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Personnel experience.

I know lots of people with an android device or have no cell phone that want an iphone. Then they get the iphone, use it for several years then buy a non-apple phone.

Wow. Can you define several years for me? Several implies 4-5 at minimum (a year being one, couple 2, a few 3). First iPhone 2007 (6 years), G1 (first android phone to mass market - October 2008, so five years). So let's assume these lots of people include a lot of non techies, so they buy phones on two year contracts. G1 in October 2008. Then iPhone 4 in 2010. What android phone did they get in 2012? Just curious.

More of them own an iPhone than in Spring 2013 (55% versus 48%). But the chart doesn't mention Android ownership. It does show that in Spring 2013, 23% thought their next phone would be Android. In Fall 2013 it's now 24%, so that's actually *more* popular in terms of future purchase plans (although I'm sure that it doesn't even fall into the margin of error, so it's basically no change).

So I don't see based on the information in the chart how you can say it shows that Android is less popular than it was. Not trying to be difficult, but I think it's better to say iPhone is still more popular in terms of ownership and their popularity increased more than Samsung did for intended next purchase, but it doesn't show that Android is less popular than it was before, per se.

Agreed. An increase of 1% for android is not at the expense of android.

vortextheory

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
lesson be learnt

you can never tell the market what is cool or not,
the market decides.
samsung is definitely uncool for trying.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
iPhone 5c for Christmas.... I'm predicting it will be the most popular smartphone in December 2013 in the USA.

I agree with this. I buy my phones off contract so it is still priced a bit too high for me to choose the 5c over the Nexus 4, but you are right in that parents of teens that are already on a family plan contract with AT&T, Verizon, etc. will spend $99 on a 5c or 2 for Christmas. They are going to pay the same bill anyway. Might as well use the upgrade and make the kid really happy.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I'm more offended at your insinuation that all teenagers are "simple minded" than you saying iOS devices are "simple to use".

iOS devices being simple to use is a complement, not an insult. And it's not good to stereotype.

Did he ever say it was an insult to iOS that it is simple to use?

----------

Teenagers that spend all day texting other teenyboppers isn't an indicator of computer genius.

I didn't mean because of that. A lot of teenagers are actually good with tech, though few of the girls are (let's be honest). Kids used to not know what a megabyte was or what a server was, but now, any average kid who plays something like Minecraft knows. Of course, there are plenty of "gamer kidz" who are idiots but know how computers work. Computer science class enrollment is increasing. Oh, and I don't know why, but all the kids born in 1996 are well above average.

On the other hand, I know professional computer scientists who know a lot about computers but are too old to be accustomed to new technology like smartphones and PCs.

----------

I thought so before, but now, it doesn't look like it... the 5S is outselling it for now.

Last edited:

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
But... but... but Apple iPhones are no longer cool with the younger set because they only want smartphones with big displays... or something like that. :rolleyes:

I wonder where they get this idea that younger people don't care much for iPhones. I'm sure Android smartphones are liked because they have large displays, but Apple is still a very hot brand and well-known around the world. One thing for sure, teenagers are not using Windows Phones or BlackBerrys in any large quantity.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
But...but...the Samsung commercials...

samsung-ad-parents.jpg

You mean to tell me the Samsung commercials were wrong...

My mind is blown...

samsung-apple-ad.jpg

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If all devices are so simple to use like the iPhone, then how can nerds teach girls how to go to some obscure sites to download some .apk free games and use 50 steps to install a custom ROM?

"See? I'm so charming because I can use these 50 steps to make your phone's system font cursive?" ;)

I totally understand this feeling. I used to go to girls' dorm room to install anti-virus to their Windows XP pre-SP1 machines, which automatically download 100s of viruses / malwares just by plugging in the LAN cable. And some miracles happened.. :D

Corporate IT guys and tech nerds have a vested interest in making all devices difficult to use.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Go the teens

Of course, who else would lead in the "Apple" eco-system .

I often wonder who who does these so-called "accurate' statistics.

Seems every time I look Kindle is always loosing.....

No love for Amazon.

If Apple iOS devices were as configurable as Android's were, i'd STILL be on-board.... just as long they don't change the look, i'm happy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.