Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
This product has a limited life span, especially given the battery/system improvements Apple is making. I've never had any issues with my mba's magsafe 1, although I think it is the better design given the cable runs parallel to the mba instead of perpendicular. Better for not having a propensity to be knocked off by shearing force, that is.

I can only see magsafe disconnects as a problem if your mbp or mba battery is shot and you to be tethered to the magsafe all the time. Once that happens, you're not really using a laptop anyway. Maybe people who think they have this problem should be managing their time better to take into account battery charging when the laptop is on a desk?

The whole point of a laptop is freedom from being tethered to cables/desks, is it not?

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
i manage about 100 macbook pros. of which ~30% are magsafe2. of which 100% of the people complain that the magsafe2 connector pops out extremely easily. myself included. try rocking it up and down slightly and it disconnects. the old one didn't have that problem. practical/real world application? sitting on the couch with my macbook pro on my knees. almost every single time i move/shift at all, the screen dims because the adapter unplugged itself. the original magsafe maintained a much better connection to the computer than magsafe2 does, including medial movement.

just because you might use your computer in a way that it sits stationary on a desk and never moves and never "had a problem" doesn't mean there aren't 100 people behind you that have had problems.

i work at a math and science foundation, these are MDs and PhDs, not idiots that don't know how to use a computer.

you're trying to use the "you're holding it wrong" argument - that didn't work for steve jobs, it's not going to work for you.

Interesting how many people can find solutions for problems that don't exist, and band-aids for problems that stem from improper use. I have here a MagSafe 1 adaptor from the original MacBook Pro that has never had a problem - I just make sure that anyone using it uses it properly. Problem solved. It gets used almost every day, connected/disconnected several times a day by many different people over the years.
I also have a MagSafe 2 equipped 13" Retina. I have never noticed a propensity to disconnect unexpectedly. If I'm putting force on it, I expect it to disconnect - adjust workflow/workspace appropriately.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Try telling that to a 3 year old. I thought the age would be axiomatic.
And it wouldn't even be close to a choking hazard for adults anyway. There's pills bigger than this that adults take everyday.

Only an idiot would give one of these things to a 3 year old to play with. Once it's on the plug it won't come off without a special tool.

Are you against tiny screws and bolts and washers as well? 3 year olds could swallow them and die. Same with plastic bags. Stoves? Fireplaces? Lawn mowers? Electricity?

You should be way more worried about the electrical socket into which you plug the power adapter.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Only an idiot would give one of these things to a 3 year old to play with. Once it's on the plug it won't come off without a special tool.

Are you against tiny screws and bolts and washers as well? 3 year olds could swallow them and die. Same with plastic bags. Stoves? Fireplaces? Lawn mowers? Electricity?

You should be way more worried about the electrical socket into which you plug the power adapter.

Giving a three-year-old any of those things? Absolutely not, that would be a failure in parenting.
The three-year-old getting his/her hands on those things, on the other hand, you cannot control.
Most parents are against giving their baby a small coin to play with, since obviously the kid will put it in his/her mouth and maybe swallow it. Will that mean the kid absolutely won't get to the coin? No.
It's a choking hazard, not a choking guarantee. They put those labels there for the ifs in life, so the manufacturer is relieved of any responsibility if a child should actually choke on its product.

mrwheet

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2003
I've seen folks where it has. And I have killed one Mac because of the power adapter. It was an old Lombard G3 Powerbook.

When these things have internal batteries, I'd gladly trade the annoyance of having to replug so I don't have to deal with the frustration of a damaged laptop.

Yeah, I used to work at a Mac service shop, and we had plenty of pre-MagSafe machines with broken internal power connectors (at the board). Which is just to say that it definitely was a problem. On some machines it was on a daughter card, but not all of them -- if it was soldered right into the logic board, we'd have to deal with some truly unhappy customers (and for good reason, imho).

Personally, I have had a few times where I, or someone else in the room, has tripped over my laptop cable, and it's been no problem at all with the MagSafe connection.

Also, like others here, I've never had a problem with a loose MagSafe 2 connection. The amount of magnetism seems about right, to me.

profbobo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Got my snuglets today. They work as advertised, though perhaps a little too well? I have to put a little oomph into connecting and disconnecting the magsafe now on my RMBP. I'll see how I live with it for a few days before passing judgment, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.