Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo's image and video hosting website Flickr has released an update to its iOS app, which contains a new "Auto Upload" feature that saves images in their original resolution and uploads them directly to the service. Auto Upload can also be toggled to save images only when connected to a Wi-Fi network or enabled on both Wi-Fi and cellular connections, and all saved images are marked as private by default. The update also contains a new auto-straighten tool and fixes for users signing in with Google.

flickr_autoupload1-800x707.png
Flickr received attention earlier this year when it began offering 1 TB of free photo storage space and underwent a major design overhaul. As previously speculated, Flickr is also now integrated within iOS 7, as users can choose to share photos directly to Flickr from the Photos app or various third-party apps with the functionality.

The last major update to Flickr for iOS came in August, when live filters and professional editing capabilities were added to the app. Flickr is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Flickr for iOS Updated with Auto Upload Capability and Straightening Tool

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
No to hijack the thread, but have a question...

Are you guys able to log into Flickr through the "Settings" screen using your Google login?

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
Is this true background uploading? I really don't like that with Dropbox, it has to be running in the foreground and phone needs to be unlocked. Hope this is different here.

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Can't see a way to upload existing stuff no Camera Roll.

Doesn't seem there's such an option at the moment, would be handy though.

Other than that it's a nice way to back everything up, especially if you take lots of pics and in a possession with a 16GB device only.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Auto upload with 1 TB free storage and background uploading (set to "private" by default) at full resolution? I'm in!

Yes, it needs to be made into a universal app (or they need to release an iPad-specific version) and the UI needs to be touched up to for iOS 7 UI conventions, but it's nice to see the Yahooligans giving Flickr the attention it deserves.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can't see a way to upload existing stuff on Camera Roll.
Doesn't seem there's such an option at the moment, would be handy though.

Other than that it's a nice way to back everything up, especially if you take lots of pics and in a possession with a 16GB device only.
If you click on the camera icon in the middle of the bottom toolbar you should be able to go to your existing photos (and Camera Roll) by selecting the photo thumbnail on the bottom left of the camera screen, and from there you should be able to select photos to upload.

Or, as one of the in-app tips mentions, simply double tap the camera icon in the middle of the bottom toolbar and that should take you directly to Camera Roll to select photos to upload.

Last edited:

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Can't see a way to upload existing stuff on Camera Roll.
It only seems to upload new photos, not pre-existing photos, and based on a photo that I just took which isn't showing up on Flickr, does not work in the background. Which is pretty annoying considering they limit the auto-upload to 25 photos, so if you haven't opened the app in a while, you may have a lot more than 25 photos. And at that point, you'll have to manually queue those, which is annoying, and you probably won't. So you either have to remember to open the app every so often (quite often, it seems) or give up on this all together.

I just don't get Yahoo. They seem to get the *idea* but never seem to be able to follow through. Maybe in an update they'll enable background uploading.

badsandwich

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Why is there no iPad app? I'd love to just grab my iPad, open flickr and show people my photos. Is that really too much to ask?

Best I can do is load up flickr in the iOS version of Chrome, which fails to load properly.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Why is there no iPad app? I'd love to just grab my iPad, open flickr and show people my photos. Is that really too much to ask?

Best I can do is load up flickr in the iOS version of Chrome, which fails to load properly.

There are third party apps, but indeed, it's quite a shame and such an obvious lack of support for a device just MADE for showing photos, it's quite a pain they ignore that.

Glassed Silver:mac

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
So if I do burst mode, does it upload the full burst or just the "best of the bunch"?

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
When will they get round to adding ipad support? There must be a reason they haven't included it yet? In bed with all the 3rd party flickr ipad app makers?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
When will they get round to adding ipad support? There must be a reason they haven't included it yet? In bed with all the 3rd party flickr ipad app makers?

Instagram doesn't have iPad support and yet no one bitches about that.

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
Instagram doesn't have iPad support and yet no one bitches about that.

If I used it maybe I would. But I'd make sure to put it in a thread about Instagram, where someone able to do something about it might have a chance of seeing it, rather than under a completely different topic

jiqowoto

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
video hosting website

Yahoo's image and video hosting website has released an update to its iOS app, which contains a new "Auto Upload" feature that saves images in their original resolution and uploads them directly to the service. Auto Upload can also be toggled to save images only when connected to a Wi-Fi network or enabled on both Wi-Fi and cellular connections, and all saved images are marked as private by default. The update also contains a new auto-straighten tool and fixes for users signing in with Google.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
So if I do burst mode, does it upload the full burst or just the "best of the bunch"?

I tried it out when I got home. If you use burst mode, the auto-uploader only uploads the "Favorite".

Other questions I had and answered:
- It uploads in the background intelligently. On a cell network with the Flickr app open, it would update as I watched. With the app closed, it no longer updated over cell. (Confirmed by logging in to Flickr via a web browser). When I got on WiFi, the rest of the pictures were uploaded in the background (with the app still closed). HOWEVER, a picture I took while on Wi-Fi, after the others had been auto-uploaded, did not get loaded until I opened the Flickr app this morning. I'm not sure how it decides when to do these background uploads. I guess that's all part of the mysterious iOS7 Background App Refresh.
- You can't pick an album to auto-load. It only auto-loads the camera roll.
- Deleting pictures from the camera roll does not delete them from Flickr.

This looks like a good auto-backup solution, with one caveat: there's no easy way within Flickr to download your pics in bulk. I've heard there are 3rd party tools that will do this but haven't looked into them yet.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This looks like a good auto-backup solution, with one caveat: there's no easy way within Flickr to download your pics in bulk. I've heard there are 3rd party tools that will do this but haven't looked into them yet.

For this reason, I continue to use Dropbox as my auto-backup. Google+/Flickr/Facebook auto back up "solutions" are compressed & resize and don't get the chance to edit your photos before uploading to your sharing destinations. Flickr claims they don't compress, but I believe they use some type of JPEGMini service to save them space (take note of the file size of a photos and upload an original photo, then redownload it from Flickr - They are 2 different sizes, but look exactly the same).

Dropbox is full resolution, no compression, original photos. When I get to my iMac, the photos are there waiting for editing. After I edit and tag, THEN they go to Flickr. Flickr is a destination/consuming platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.