Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSponge

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Previously on my i4 I had gmail setup as exchange and used the stock MAIL app and it did everything I wanted.

Now that I upgraded I lost the exchange functionality as apparently google removed it for us iPhone users forcing us to use the GMAIL app.

Is anyone finding the APP slow? Sometimes just terrible and not loading always promptly?

What are my options? Want to keep PUSH for my gmail account on my iPhone 5S.. Is GMAIL app the only one?

dominsbeard

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Yes, I just tested it. mail is pushed for my gmail account.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/#faq
Does Mailbox support push notifications?
Yes! Push notifications on Mailbox will alert you of incoming messages even when your app isn't open. To enable push, make sure it's toggled ON in Mailbox Settings and iPhone Settings < Notifications.

Last edited:

TheSponge

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Yes, I just tested it. mail is pushed for my gmail account.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/help/#faq
Does Mailbox support push notifications?
Yes! Push notifications on Mailbox will alert you of incoming messages even when your app isn't open. To enable push, make sure it's toggled ON in Mailbox Settings and iPhone Settings < Notifications.

What are you using Mailbox with?

Because apparently gmail email had support for exchange, but gmail decided to remove it for free customers and its on a pay basis. Unless you use the official gmail app.

Unless you had it configured previously you were grandfathered into this.. like me on my iPhone 4 once they deactivated it I was still able to do the exchange route with gmail. But now with the new iPhone and trying to reset it up it won't work..

http://www.imore.com/did-you-lose-g...aded-new-iphone-5s-or-iphone-5c-here-are-your

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
To get push notifications I forward my gmail accounts to my iCloud account and then just use Mail. I've set it up so I can choose whether my response has my iCloud address or one of my gmail addresses.

kshen1

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
To get push notifications I forward my gmail accounts to my iCloud account and then just use Mail. I've set it up so I can choose whether my response has my iCloud address or one of my gmail addresses.

That's smart. But we really shouldn't have to go down those routes to get push :(

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013

Can you explain where you got this or how to do this?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I ment in detail how you set it up

Forwarding to iCloud is done through the Gmail settings on the web interface.

On your phone, setup your iCloud account since this is where your incoming mail is being forwarded to. In addition, you need to setup a mail account for any Gmail address you want to send mail from. The post I linked explains this in more detail.

What part are you having trouble with?

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Forwarding to iCloud is done through the Gmail settings on the web interface.

On your phone, setup your iCloud account since this is where your incoming mail is being forwarded to. In addition, you need to setup a mail account for any Gmail address you want to send mail from. The post I linked explains this in more detail.

What part are you having trouble with?

I tried the settings listed in your other post but I keep getting an error. I went to new account> other. I entered my name, gmail address and password. For incoming servers, I put my iCloud information and for the Outgoing I put my gmail information. Already have the emails from Gmail forwarded to my iCloud. Just I want my gmail address to show when I send messages.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I'm not sure what the purpose of setting up your Gmail account as "other" is. I set it up as Gmail. You will receive email through iCloud (after forwarding your Gmail to iCloud) and when you reply, click "from" and change from iCloud to Gmail.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
The Gmail app is useless to me for day-to-day email. I keep it on my phone for when I'm searching for something as it excels at that.

Push is nice but the delay to actually open the app and download the message is too long and nearly negates any advantage. I am disappointed that Google has not updated it to take advantage of some of the new background app refresh features in iOS 7 to alleviate this issue. Opening the app and seeing emails that are no longer actually there while it refreshes is annoying; or opening the app to an error screen and having to tap back and refreshing to get it working again.

As for Mailbox, it is a great tool however I'm somewhat against unnecessarily introducing a third party and another server between me and my email.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I'm not sure what the purpose of setting up your Gmail account as "other" is. I set it up as Gmail. You will receive email through iCloud (after forwarding your Gmail to iCloud) and when you reply, click "from" and change from iCloud to Gmail.

Do you keep the mail on Gmail's servers after you forward? I need to, so I assume that if I set it up as a Gmail account I would get double messages in my inbox (one from iCloud and one from Gmail).

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Do you keep the mail on Gmail's servers after you forward? I need to, so I assume that if I set it up as a Gmail account I would get double messages in my inbox (one from iCloud and one from Gmail).

Instead of "forward and keep in inbox" I select "forward and archive". It is still saved in Gmail, just not the inbox.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I tried the settings listed in your other post but I keep getting an error. I went to new account> other. I entered my name, gmail address and password. For incoming servers, I put my iCloud information and for the Outgoing I put my gmail information. Already have the emails from Gmail forwarded to my iCloud. Just I want my gmail address to show when I send messages.

For incoming servers don't use your iCloud information, use incorrect information. For outgoing use your gmail info. This way you won't receive email from your gmail account, but you can send from it. Set up your iCloud email as a normal iCloud account.

Techiegirl's suggestion will work too. See her post for how she set it up.

Instead of "forward and keep in inbox" I select "forward and archive". It is still saved in Gmail, just not the inbox.

Hmmmmm, thanks for that tip. If I ever have to set it up again, I'll try that, but right now since it ain't broke......

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Is it possible to set the stock app or Mailbox to only receive mails in "General"? I have set up the Gmail app to do this, but i like the stock one better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.