Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a brief promotion earlier this week in which Best Buy reduced pricing on the iPhone 5c by $50 just two weeks after launch, an internal document obtained by TechnoBuffalo reveals that the retailer will offer a minimum $100 gift card toward the purchase of the iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c for any working smartphone. The promotion will begin this Friday, October 11 and run through October 19.

bestbuy_iphone100.jpg
The offer requires that the device being traded in is able to be powered on. Water damaged devices and devices with cracked screens are also not eligible for the program, and customers who bring in packaging or original accessories may see the value of their trade-in increase. The offer also extends to customers who have current reservations for either phone.

The 16 GB models of the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s start at $99.99 and $199.99 respectively, with iPhone 5c supplies remaining plentiful throughout Apple's distribution channels, giving retailers some incentive to reduce pricing to help drive sales. That availability contrasts with significant shortages seen for Apple's flagship iPhone 5s since launch nearly three weeks ago.

Article Link: Best Buy to Offer $100 Gift Card for Purchase of iPhone 5s or 5c with Trade-In of Any Working Smartphone

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Best Buy has always had a good trade-in program. I guess now people with ancient Blackberry devices and Palm Treo devices can make a little cash, too.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
requires 2 year contract?

As with any iPhone purchase made when buying at the subsidized price.

Also, this is great for very old phones but those with anything from a 4S and up, I would say trading it in for a couple hundred is better than the $100 GC.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Hmm, got a couple 3G's I could flip for 5S's. What's the resale value of an unopened 5S these days?

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Best Buy has always had a good trade-in program. I guess now people with ancient Blackberry devices and Palm Treo devices can make a little cash, too.

I have two old centros that I never got rid of, and luckly I still have the cables for them and all.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't see anything about a limit on how many devices you can trade in? Can you use the $100 gift card toward your purchase of a 5C or 5S? It doesn't sound like you can.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Even though it outsold the Galaxy S4 on many carriers in September when it only had 10 days to do so?

You're comparing new phone sales with one that came out 4 months ago? With that logic, we know that the Galaxy S4 outsold the iPhone 5 when it launched. :cool:

kevinpdoyle

macrumors member
May 2, 2012
You're comparing new phone sales with one that came out 4 months ago? With that logic, we know that the Galaxy S4 outsold the iPhone 5 when it launched. :cool:

Yes, but the 5C is just a 5 with a different exterior. Therefore the 4 month old S4 was outsold by a phone with 12 month old internals.

hrabadia

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
San Diego
hmmmm i have reserved a gold iPhone 5S already about two weeks ago, on the ad it says i have to reserve a new one, i have a samsung blackjack 2 eating dust, and an HTC wing, i wonder if they would let me trade those in and not make a new reservation

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have a 3GS which is pretty flawless and a 4S with a shattered back... Do you think they'll care about the 4S's back?

Also, I always wonder about these products becoming vintage. If I hold onto them for 3-4 decades, will they be worth a lot more than (present day) $100? What about my iMac and MBA? They're so old that I don't think their values will drop much more, but if I keep them in working condition over that time, will their value go up substantially?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't see anything about a limit on how many devices you can trade in? Can you use the $100 gift card toward your purchase of a 5C or 5S? It doesn't sound like you can.

It's $100 for the trade-in... so it will probably go toward the sale of the phone.

My question is can I trade in my old as hell Windows Smart phone? It turns on and works still. It just sucks as a phone. :p

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
sounds like $100 gift card on top of the trade in value. i also got on the $50 gift card deal earlier this year and will go to best buy next week. last i read they were offering $300 for 16GB AT&T white iphone 5 and if i can get a 5S for $50 or so out of pocket its worth it

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Is that information listed somewhere? "Smartphone" is a pretty generic term, so surely they define somewhere what qualifies and what doesn't. :confused:

Yup. In the fine print they say that not all models may be eligible and that stores may have additional conditions. Considering a 16gb iPhone4 was worth around $20 on the last offer it isn't as good a deal as advertised. I asked about the Treo when they last had it and it was not eligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.