Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hi

I have 6 external drives, in each drive I have some 3 to 6 tv shows with several episodes each.

Each show has about 150 episodes of one hour in SD. And they are saved in different amounts on each drive. I mean, the episodes for each TV show are not contained into one drive but spread.

Drive 1:
Show A: 1 to 20 episodes
Show B: 6 to 30 episodes
Show C: 36 to 45 episodes

Drive 2:
Show A: 21 to 95 episodes
Show B: 1 to 5 episodes
Show C: 11 to 35 episodes

And so on...

Each show is about 1.6 TB total when collected and the drives have barely 90MB of free space, no headroom to move entire folders, it is better to move file by file.

I need a way to make the computer to transfer each show and consolidate them into its own folder, to put A in one drive, B in another and C in another.

Is there a way to do it with Automator or any other software?

I bet there is a brilliant mind here who knows about it.

Thank you!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You're going to have to do this by hand and I see 2 options:
  1. Use space on another drive temporarily to move 5 to 10 episodes of a show to. Then you start moving 5 to 10 episodes at a time around.
  2. If you have another drive the size of the drives you are using, you could move all of one show to that extra drive and then you'll have room on the other drives to move shows around. This is the easier option but requires a disk you may not have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.