Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While gold and silver models of the iPhone 5s have seen very tight supplies since the device's launch last month, a number of potential customers have noted that availability of even the more plentiful space gray models has been declining. Using Apple's in-store pickup availability system, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has been tracking supplies of the various models and has quantified a significant decline in iPhone 5s availability over the past two weeks.
Supply of the iPhone 5S has declined in the US from 27% of total SKU's available two weeks ago to 6% over the past week, based on our checks of 60 Apple stores. Separately, the percent of stores that had at least one SKU declined from 90% two weeks ago to 40% over the past week.
iphone_5s_availability_oct11.jpg
Munster believes that the decline is a positive sign for demand in the U.S., but also attributes some of the increased shortages to Apple potentially holding back some supplies in order to prepare for upcoming international launches starting later this month.

As another tool for tracking demand, Munster has also been looking at resale prices through eBay and Chinese site Taobao. According to Munster's data, iPhone 5s units have been selling at a 32% premium compared to retail pricing in the U.S., providing further evidence of strong consumer demand. iPhone 5c and Samsung Galaxy S4 units have been selling at 12% discounts to retail pricing, which Munster believes points to demand in line with supplies of the iPhone 5c.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Supplies Tightening in Apple's U.S. Retail Stores Ahead of Upcoming International Launches

leepalisoc

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Here in Canada, there are no enough supplies of iPhone 5s in Apple Stores. That's why I ordered one online. And now, it says it'll be shipped by Oct. 24-28 and delivers by Nov. 6! Tsk tsk!

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Smart thing is to wait for November or early December when all the initial rush is over. Then walk in and get one easily. That's what I'll be doing.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wish rumor sites would quite giving Gene Munster the time of day. This is a guy who does surveys based on standing outside the Apple store at Mall of America for two hours. And the guy who predicted the 5C wouldn't have Siri or a read facing camera to make it cheap. Another Minnesota embarrassment (and we have a lot of them). :rolleyes:

Pastries

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
Or maybe the supplies are constrained right now because of last weeks Chinese holiday that ended monday. They were making barely any phones for a week due to a lack of workers.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Got my delivery notification this morning (UK)

Ordered a Silver 32G 5S on Sept 23rd from Apple UK store.
(no contract, unlocked).

This morning I get the "dispatched" email notification.
(It's in "SHENZHEN, GU CN" according to tracking)

So they must have just completed building the next 10million units based on the demand for the first 10m.
(figure plucked out of my ass based on 9m sold in first weekend)

I've been wondering all day if Tim will divulge the colour sales break down for the 5S? (e.g. is it 75% Gold, 30% Silver, 20% Black) It would be interesting to know just how much bling is out there.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
The iPad3 and the 5s launch make me hate Apple soooo much. They obviously have immense contempt for their loyal customers.

Hey. Sometime supplies for initial launches are slim, but they make up for it in service.

Just recieved a new iPad (at no cost) to replace one I bought one year ago since the headphone jack started acting up.

RexXX

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Could I even get my 32GB gold before international launch? LOL
I ordered it on 9/20.
Oh, btw, I'm going to buy a rMBP after the new model launched. Maybe the rMBP will come before the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.