Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I do believe there may be issues with 1.5V ram, which you can still get for the iMac however new modules from known brands should be 1.35V. I think (just a guess), this might cause the overhearing in some cases.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Seems odd to me that an iMac would have issues with 1.5V RAM when JEDEC's definition of the DDR3 standard says the voltage should be 1.5V. If a system REQUIRES 1.35V it should be labeled as DDR3L RAM.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Got a mail back from Crucial.

CT2K8G3S160BM sold on amazon and CT4949518 listed on crucial

is the same thing! I hope this puts the issue to rest. Seems like what we confirmed in the thread is true, Crucial just add different model numbers for exactly the same product. It's something a lot of companies do. Mind at ease now and also, it allows you to search for 'older' part numbers which may be cheaper

"Yes it is the exact same RAM as the one listed on our web site for the (27-inch, Late 2013) iMac.

The code on Amazon is the technical description of the part, this tells us the type of memory, density, form factor, that kind of thing.

The shorter code on our web site, uniquely identifies that part to your particular system (27-inch, Late 2013) iMac, and is used to guarantee compatibility."

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Got a mail back from Crucial.

CT2K8G3S160BM sold on amazon and CT4949518 listed on crucial

is the same thing! I hope this puts the issue to rest. Seems like what we confirmed in the thread is true, Crucial just add different model numbers for exactly the same product. It's something a lot of companies do. Mind at ease now and also, it allows you to search for 'older' part numbers which may be cheaper

"Yes it is the exact same RAM as the one listed on our web site for the (27-inch, Late 2013) iMac.

The code on Amazon is the technical description of the part, this tells us the type of memory, density, form factor, that kind of thing.

The shorter code on our web site, uniquely identifies that part to your particular system (27-inch, Late 2013) iMac, and is used to guarantee compatibility."

Does this mean the OP's iMac is defective? Which RAM from crucial will work flawlessly with 2013 iMac 27?

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
i just ordered this ram and there are a few others in the reviews of it that are complaining of it overheating...im not taking any chances in my new 3,000 dollar imac thats on the way.

fotofan

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
New Jersey USA
So did I

i just ordered this ram and there are a few others in the reviews of it that are complaining of it overheating...im not taking any chances in my new 3,000 dollar imac thats on the way.

I have it sitting here on my desk waiting for the iMac to be delivered. Not sure what to do now. Will Crucial take it back if the RAM package isn't opened yet?
Where did you see those reviews?

tseven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Ram pictures

I've updated the original post with my conclusion.

Attached are pictures of the ram I bought from Amazon.com, Crucial.com and the stock memory that came in the machine.

I hope my journey helps others down the road.

Attachments

• all_3_front.jpg
    all_3_front.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 244
  • packaging.jpg
    packaging.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 167

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for the update on the original post! I hope this will help folk during their upgrades in the new iMac. Glad it all went alright for you at the end!

arncalars

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Denmark
Just one more thing...

I've also installed Crucial ram with the right specifications and everything seems to function all right.

To test my machine and added RAM I'll perform an Apple Diagnostic's test tomorrow and if it shows that it's OK I'll not worry about this issue anymore.

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Actually, it's not Apple's specs that are applicable, it's Intel's specs for the CPU. For the 4th generation desktop CPUs, which includes the i7 4770k used in the 3.5GHz iMac, the RAM spec is for DDR3/DDR3L modules at 1.5v. The CPU's memory controller will supply the appropriate voltage for the memory. If both 1.35 and 1.5 volt modules are used simultaneously, the higher voltage will prevail. In actual usage, 1.35v RAM will run at 1.5v, and 1.5v RAM will run at 1.35v as long as overclocking is not required.

As a matter of interest, the Haswell name is no longer used by Intel. The 4th generation CPU family is now referred to as ARK.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
I played it safe and refused delivery of the crucial ram from amazon and bought from OWC....there's complaints of some of the modules from crucial not fitting correctly also...cant risk it on a 3500 dollar machine...thanks for the info in the thread.

arncalars

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Denmark
I've also installed Crucial ram with the right specifications and everything seems to function all right.

To test my machine and added RAM I'll perform an Apple Diagnostic's test tomorrow and if it shows that it's OK I'll not worry about this issue anymore.

No problems found running Apples Diagnostics test ;-))

Chipster21

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
I've updated the original post with my conclusion.

Attached are pictures of the ram I bought from Amazon.com, Crucial.com and the stock memory that came in the machine.

I hope my journey helps others down the road.

If you look to the pictures, you'll see that the modules from Amazon are DDR3 and those from Crucial are DDR3L (L= Low Power), so probably the overheating is related to this diffrence.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
If you look to the pictures, you'll see that the modules from Amazon are DDR3 and those from Crucial are DDR3L (L= Low Power), so probably the overheating is related to this diffrence.

I got my crucial from amazon and it's DDR3L

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
I got my crucial from amazon and it's DDR3L

Maybe he got the old stock 1.5v that was left over? If you also order from someone that is not amazon inc you could end up with something older or not the correct part either. I stopped ordering from anyone other than amazon inc for years now because of this. I also rarely order Prime full filled ordered as well, but if the seller has really good feedback and its not in stock from amazon its self then i might.

I ordered mine from crucial and its listed as 1.35 DDR3L as well. My guess is that the op got old stock. Sending it back for a new one might have been all he needed, but he's good now with the crucial ram he ordered directly from them.

ian2000

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Conclusion/Update Fri, Oct. 11:
My conclusion is that Tunabelly's software is not reading the memory temperatures accurately.

I'm wondering about this too. I've installed 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM in my new 27" iMac (Kingston KHX16LS9P1K2/16) and ran 'Rember' to test that everything was ok with the memory.

During the test I also used Tunabelly's Temperature Gauge and, like the OP, I saw an alarmingly high temperature for 'Memory - TM1a'. This rose to a steady 116c / 241F, but interestingly the iMac fan stayed at idle RPM (the CPU wasn't under load). I used Temperature Gauge to force the fan to run at maximum speed, and the TM1a temperature quickly dropped to a stable 95C / 203F. The Rember test completed with no errors.

So it appears that it's not just Crucial RAM that gives high indicated temperatures with Temperature Gauge. Perhaps these readings aren't correct or maybe I shouldn't be concerned. I was surprised that the system fan speed didn't rise above idle (it works fine under heavy CPU load). Does anyone else have any experience with this?

cpc6128

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Hi all, long time reader of MacRumors.

I have recently ordered a i7 27" iMac with 16gb - I understand there is 2 x 8gb ram sticks and 2 slots leftover.

I have a Corsair Vengeance sodium 16gb kit (2x8gb Model CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10) which was in my mac mini - I was wondering if this ram would be safe sitting alongside with the ram supplied in the iMac? I only just caught up on the whole 1.35v and 1.5v versions being discussed here..

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Seems odd to me that an iMac would have issues with 1.5V RAM when JEDEC's definition of the DDR3 standard says the voltage should be 1.5V. If a system REQUIRES 1.35V it should be labeled as DDR3L RAM.

Exactly, the MBP Retina specifies DDR3L on the configuration page of the website but the iMac shows DDR3 :-/

Haswell can handle up to 1.5v ( +5% so a max of 1.575v).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.