Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I just updated my ATV and I get this.

ubu6ege8.jpg

I don't have a computer at this residence to plug my Apple TV into. Nor will I in the foreseeable future.

Btw I was on software version 6. This update was just pushed to me moments ago.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
yup, need a micro usb and iTunes

Fug! Lol

(Grabs jacket) off to the Apple store! Maybe they can just fix it for me if not I'll try to get it replaced. I really need to buy a computer for this place!

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Fug! Lol

(Grabs jacket) off to the Apple store! Maybe they can just fix it for me if not I'll try to get it replaced. I really need to buy a computer for this place!

Apple will fix it for you. It was a pretty decent sized problem for people, especially on the forums with this update.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Well I was able to stop by a business associates house and use his computer. It wouldn't restore for a "unknown reason".

Lacking the time to fool with it we swung in Best Buy where I bought it on 9-13-13. But they said they have a 15 day replacement policy.

So we swung back to his house. Updated his iTunes to try that. Then the computer would detect the Apple TV but it wouldn't show up in iTunes so we were unable to restore it again.

I could only laugh at this point. I'll just have to swing into the Apple store Saturday night or Sunday.

Side note, Best Buy is a joke. I've always been on the fence with them and this pushed me over to never use their stores or services for anything.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Well I was able to stop by a business associates house and use his computer. It wouldn't restore for a "unknown reason".

Lacking the time to fool with it we swung in Best Buy where I bought it on 9-13-13. But they said they have a 15 day replacement policy.

So we swung back to his house. Updated his iTunes to try that. Then the computer would detect the Apple TV but it wouldn't show up in iTunes so we were unable to restore it again.

I could only laugh at this point. I'll just have to swing into the Apple store Saturday night or Sunday.

Side note, Best Buy is a joke. I've always been on the fence with them and this pushed me over to never use their stores or services for anything.

Yes, yes best buy is in fact a joke. But don't worry they won't be in business forever.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You need to connect both USB and power cables for AppleTV to enter recovery mode and iTunes to detect it as such.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
You need to connect both USB and power cables for AppleTV to enter recovery mode and iTunes to detect it as such.

Lol, we did.

Took it to the Apple store tonight. They were unable to restore it also and pronounced it dead. They gave me a new one and all is good in the world.

I didn't bother asking for a refund I think I'm gonna get a Roku and play with that and decide which goes into the guest room.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Lol, we did.

Took it to the Apple store tonight. They were unable to restore it also and pronounced it dead. They gave me a new one and all is good in the world.

I didn't bother asking for a refund I think I'm gonna get a Roku and play with that and decide which goes into the guest room.

Roku is a solid device hardware wise, but my god the UI is just horrible. If apple ever allows apps on the atv it will crush the roku.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Roku is a solid device hardware wise, but my god the UI is just horrible. If apple ever allows apps on the atv it will crush the roku.

That's good to know. The reason I don't use my PS3 is because I wasn't happy with some of the apps quality!

Aside from that issue I had I've been happy with the Apple TV.

Can you explain how this third party app thing works? I have netflix, hulu, etc. Aren't those 3rd party or are those apps written by Apple?

If they are written by Apple I'd much prefer Apple write more apps to work with other streaming services.

Does the ATV3 have enough storage space to allow for more apps?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Lol, we did.

Refunds are a retailer issue so you'd have to go to best buy for that. And we know what they would say already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.