Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad5_2-200x276.jpg
Countering earlier reports about the possibility of Apple launching a larger, 12.9-inch iPad next year, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo states in a new research note that the company will instead release a new sixth-generation 9.7-inch iPad with 30-40% higher pixel density than seen in both the current and upcoming full-sized iPad.
Contrary to speculation that next year's iPad next year may come in a 12" form, or larger, we think it will not change from the current 9.7" format as we think a 12" iPad would not provide a good mobility experience given today's technology limitations.

In light [of] advancing Oxide and a-Si technologies, the PPI of iPad 6, which we expect to come out at end-2014, will exceed that of 2013's iPad 5 by 30-40%, which will offer more competent visuals.
In his research note, Kuo also touches on the third-generation iPad mini, which would be expected to launch alongside the higher-resolution iPad 6. Kuo believes that the second-generation iPad mini expected to be introduced at Apple's media event later this month will adopt a Retina display and that there will be no further changes to resolution for the third-generation iPad mini next year.

Apple is expected to unveil both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini during an October 22 event that will also showcase other Apple products such as Mavericks and the Mac Pro.

Article Link: iPad 6 with 30-40% Higher Pixel Density Expected in 2014

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well..

This is good news as, to me, a 12 inch pad, almost defeats the purpose of a pad. Of course samsung will make a 14 inch pad that doubles as a phone. Cant wait to see some dweeb with that up to his head talking! Or better yet, at some concert taking photos with it!

Ent

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
This site should be called AnalystRumors. Seriously. Nothing they say is ever credible.

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I wonder how they would spin that to make people think they need it VS the already great Retina displays.

I'm getting pumped for this year's announcement, never mind next year. I really miss my iPad 2 I sold a couple months ago. Can't wait to get a new one!

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I don't even think the human eye could perceive a difference. Apple needs to focus on specs that really matter...

Some people may not perceive a difference, but when you have a pair of good eyes then put an iPhone 5 and a LG G2 side by side, you can tell the difference.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is there really any point to increasing the pixel density of the iPad?

I have fairly good eyesight, and at a normal viewing distance (about two feet) I CAN'T SEE the pixels on my iPad 4. What's the point increasing density, creating more pixels that the GPU has to push (slowing things down) at this point?

Even with the iPad closer to my face I can barely see the pixels, and only if I really look for them. Text looks like a printed page. Images look like photographic prints. The current PPI is more than enough.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I thought the whole point of a retina display was the human eye can't detect the individual pixels...will the difference be noticeable? Definitely not something i would buy before i see it, and even then I'm pretty sure current retina is enough, especially with the premiums apple charges. Now, if it's just something to differentiate the iPad from the iPad mini, whatever.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Who even thinks about this stuff? The resolution is good for now and likely won't be increased any time soon. If anything, the mini's resolution will be increased. They're not going to throw that many resolution changes at the devs that fast, who are they, Google?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I'd like to see Apple using the extra pixel density to finally add camera pixels in to the display. It makes sense on so many levels:

1. You can make eye contact while video-calling people
2. It could be used to support non-capacitive input devices like pens or paintbrushes
3. It gets rid of the front-facing camera hole, allowing for sleeker devices and less bezel

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What a ridiculous analyst guess. What would be the point? It would decrease battery life and performance for almost no benefit.

Somebody needs to make a "macrumors without idiot analysts" safari extension.

gooberwilson

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2012
Canada
Increasing the pixels does make a little bit of difference from what I understand. Even your 1080p TV is retina from reasonable viewing distances. Yet there are still 4K TV's coming and they do make a difference in quality. So I could see how it would make sense, but I don't see it happening.

And, bring on the retina mini!!! :D

henrypham120190

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
I don't even think the human eye could perceive a difference. Apple needs to focus on specs that really matter...

I also think retina is sufficient! And that's why iphone 5, 4s, 5s and 5c / ipad 3,4 have the same pixel density. Increasing pixel density would only increase the battery usage, unless they are going for IGZO or something. :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is this based on supply chain "chatter" or him just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks?

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I think they're increasing the pixels so if they do introduce a 12 or 13 inch iPad, the pixel density for most apps will be upconverted seamlessly. It's like the iPad mini using iPad 2 resolutions, and the smaller size makes it less noticeable that it's not retina. The larger iPads will probably have a less dense pixel density, and use the same resolution from these 6th gen iPads to save battery life.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Complete ********.

If Apple introduced iPad screens with a non-linear (i.e. non-double) pixel count, it would be for a different sized iPad.

Otherwise, app developers would have to develop two different screen sizes for the same size iPad ? Never going to happen.

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.