Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Had this happen to me today while using safari. Definitely not a full reboot though, only a respring but with the Apple logo showing up briefly. I know this because touch ID still worked; I didn't have to enter my pass code to enable it again.

I can also confirm that Apple's diagnostic that support uses are not detecting iOS 7.0.2 on their computers. When I bought AC+, his computer said I was still on 7.0, not .2.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Same story here. Random resprings, sometimes involving multitasking, sometimes not. Dropped frames in games that aren't intensive. Apps crash, including Settings.

I was thinking about going to the Genius Bar but maybe it's a software thing since a lot of other people are dealing with this.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
So just tonight I was opening a document in pages when I hit the home button I got the bsod for the 1st time! :rolleyes:
I really think it's ios7... one of my friends is getting the reboots on his iPhone 5 after he instealled ios7. He is also a high user of the phone and multitasks a lot. This was never an issue with previous phones/ios's

Today, the same thing happened too me, tried to copy and paste text from pages document into safari and got blue screen. This happened each and every time I tired it. Give up in the end. I'm on 7.0.2 on 5S

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Im wondering if its the launch Daemon that "takes control" of the device when an app/program become unresponsive after a given time; which in turns is making the idevice crash

better description:
Code:
com.apple.AdminLite.plist - This daemon tries to return control of
your device to you if it thinks that you are waiting for a lengthly process to
respond. It does this by force-quitting the process

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I've experienced a spontaneous reboot of my iPhone 5s when restoring the backup of my iPhone 5 with iTunes (so this was on day 1). In the diagnostic&usage data page, I've found 3 crash reports, all created at the same time (when the reboot happened). All of them were talking about a "DWT timeout" or "Watchdog timeout" (which is the same, according to a quick Google search).

I've contacted Apple about this. They called me back, I uploaded the logs, and one of their technicians (not the first level lady I spoke to) said that "it doesn't look bad, it may have been an isolated problem with the restore process" and to contact them again if it keeps happening.

Indeed, that very same problem didn't show up anymore.

Instead, I've experienced a re-spring when killing apps in the multitasking screen. Specifically, it happened when I was scrolling through an app that was still showing video in its preview (Vine). Not sure if it's related, but I've been unable to reproduce it again so far. No crash log was created for that one.

By reading the forums here and there, I definitely think it's a software issue.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
For what it's worth I had a Kernel Panic during the first sync after restoring my phone. I've had several Springboard crashes since then.

I don't doubt it's software, but the question is will Apple fix it. There's a number of other major problems with iOS 7 and ironically the crash is one of the "lesser" ones.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
How's everyone's HD space? I went from a 32GB to a 16GB and have run out of space a few times. Maybe having low space is related?

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
I'm having the same issue with my 32gb silver unlocked 5s on AT&T. Once a day or so, I'll be using it and right in the middle of switching from one app to another, it'll just crash back to the Apple boot logo. Hopefully 7.0.3 fixes this; it's a fast restart, but still annoying.

joecartoon22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
i have mine crashing that turns into a quick respring. not a complete restart but just a quick flash of the apple logo and then things just pick back up. slightly annoying if you are in the middle of a game or looking at girls on instagram

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Well, my 48 hours of penance was up today and yes, I still had Safari crash on me when nothing else was on the phone besides what Apple put on there. Sooo, my senior advisor set me up an appointment to take the phone back to the Apple store, again, to get a replacement, again. :rolleyes: My 3rd 5s in less than 2 weeks. I figure that's gotta be some kind of record.

After I get the new phone, I'm to call Apple back for explicit instructions on setting it up and installing the apps I use. I refuse to go another 48 hours without having apps on the phone; it has been tortuous as it is these past 48.

You know, my dad had to do my original upgrade for me because I was in the hospital undergoing tests for increased intracranial hypertension. One of my former professors made a joke that maybe all the bad vibes from my head transferred into my phone, and I almost wonder if there isn't something to that. Not the bad vibes thing, but I had a head CT scan, and and MRI of my brain, and I wonder if there aren't lingering EMF or radiation levels that could be affecting my phone. It would be a huge leap I'm sure, and probably outside the realm of possibility, but who knows, right? Maybe I'm going to turn into the Incredible Hulk at any moment. :D

Until next time, my good people. Keep reporting those BSOD issues so Apple knows about them and they don't think I'm just some crazy woman! (Though I am crazy, but they don't need to know that....) ;)

Has anyone heard anything from Apple? Is everyone still experiencing this?

And here as well.....
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...sh-rate-crashes-half-as-likely-on-iphone-5-5c

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
The Music app crashed when I tried to resume it. When I tried to launch it again, the phone itself crashed to the Apple logo. Third one of those this week.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
Well, my 48 hours of penance was up today and yes, I still had Safari crash on me when nothing else was on the phone besides what Apple put on there. Sooo, my senior advisor set me up an appointment to take the phone back to the Apple store, again, to get a replacement, again. :rolleyes: My 3rd 5s in less than 2 weeks. I figure that's gotta be some kind of record.

After I get the new phone, I'm to call Apple back for explicit instructions on setting it up and installing the apps I use. I refuse to go another 48 hours without having apps on the phone; it has been tortuous as it is these past 48.

Until next time, my good people. Keep reporting those BSOD issues so Apple knows about them and they don't think I'm just some crazy woman! (Though I am crazy, but they don't need to know that....) ;)

Well, I did everything I was supposed to do. Got my 3rd 5s, called Apple and got my marching instructions for setting it up, had a weird glitch with the App Store that required me to complete purchases in iTunes on my MBP, was offered a free case for all of my troubles and thought that just might be the end of my story.

Nope. Not even close. Had the phone a week and have the longest diagnostic crash list I've ever had on any phone. But most of it was just nuisance stuff. The problems with the App Store and some apps (especially facebook) crashing. But as the phone itself was still operating pretty perky and no blue screen of death like I had on the previous two, I was content to let things go, figuring it'd all be worked out down the line. Then today, it happened again. BSOD and reboot. It took every ounce of self control I had in me not to fling the phone at the wall. Immediately contacted the good people at Apple *again* :rolleyes: and they re-opened my previous case. Tomorrow, I get to revisit my local Apple store (I might as well start living or working there the amount of time I'm spending there) to get yet ANOTHER replacement. Yes, my good people. 4 phones in 3 weeks. :eek:

I've examined my diagnostic logs, and aside from today's "panic" BSOD/reboot, and the weird iTunes Store errors, everything else comes down to "Low Memory" crashes. Now, while I only have a 16GB phone, my thinking is that the low memory is coming from the RAM side devoted to the OS and processor (?) (I'm not a tech whiz by any stretch of the imagination, so don't jump down my throat if I'm assuming some wildly impossible thing here, lol). It is my understanding the 5s has 1GB of RAM to basically be the ring of power and bind everything. My guess is that is *not* enough. Because on the capacity side, I have almost 4GB still available (3GB more than I had available on my 4S which didn't have these problems). I'm running fewer apps at a time than I did on the 4S. I'm not even attempting to run the iWorks apps yet. At the time of the panic crash, I had facebook, safari, mail, settings, messages, phone, instagram, and cnn running.

So, tomorrow, I'll go back to the store. I'll be given another phone. And we can continue to track this problem. Hopefully the more information that comes in to them, the better they can nail down what is causing it. I highly suspect a flaw in the design with the amount of RAM dedicated to running the OS (either the OS and apps draw too much from it and the OS needs to be reworked to fix that, or there's just flat out not enough RAM in which case we're doomed....)

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
If I were you...

I would wait to see what 7.0.3 has in store. I really think this is a software issue and that your phones themselves are not having an issue but it's all about the software. You could go through hundreds and I believe with the right level of "stress" they would all do it too...
Well, I did everything I was supposed to do. Got my 3rd 5s, called Apple and got my marching instructions for setting it up, had a weird glitch with the App Store that required me to complete purchases in iTunes on my MBP, was offered a free case for all of my troubles and thought that just might be the end of my story.

Nope. Not even close. Had the phone a week and have the longest diagnostic crash list I've ever had on any phone. But most of it was just nuisance stuff. The problems with the App Store and some apps (especially facebook) crashing. But as the phone itself was still operating pretty perky and no blue screen of death like I had on the previous two, I was content to let things go, figuring it'd all be worked out down the line. Then today, it happened again. BSOD and reboot. It took every ounce of self control I had in me not to fling the phone at the wall. Immediately contacted the good people at Apple *again* :rolleyes: and they re-opened my previous case. Tomorrow, I get to revisit my local Apple store (I might as well start living or working there the amount of time I'm spending there) to get yet ANOTHER replacement. Yes, my good people. 4 phones in 3 weeks. :eek:

I've examined my diagnostic logs, and aside from today's "panic" BSOD/reboot, and the weird iTunes Store errors, everything else comes down to "Low Memory" crashes. Now, while I only have a 16GB phone, my thinking is that the low memory is coming from the RAM side devoted to the OS and processor (?) (I'm not a tech whiz by any stretch of the imagination, so don't jump down my throat if I'm assuming some wildly impossible thing here, lol). It is my understanding the 5s has 1GB of RAM to basically be the ring of power and bind everything. My guess is that is *not* enough. Because on the capacity side, I have almost 4GB still available (3GB more than I had available on my 4S which didn't have these problems). I'm running fewer apps at a time than I did on the 4S. I'm not even attempting to run the iWorks apps yet. At the time of the panic crash, I had facebook, safari, mail, settings, messages, phone, instagram, and cnn running.

So, tomorrow, I'll go back to the store. I'll be given another phone. And we can continue to track this problem. Hopefully the more information that comes in to them, the better they can nail down what is causing it. I highly suspect a flaw in the design with the amount of RAM dedicated to running the OS (either the OS and apps draw too much from it and the OS needs to be reworked to fix that, or there's just flat out not enough RAM in which case we're doomed....)

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
I would wait to see what 7.0.3 has in store. I really think this is a software issue and that your phones themselves are not having an issue but it's all about the software. You could go through hundreds and I believe with the right level of "stress" they would all do it too...

You'd think it was software, but the people at Apple, all the way up to the engineers that worked the issues with my last phone, believe it to be hardware related. I just do what they tell me to do. If they want to keep giving me a new phone every week (though, I'll be fair--this one lasted longer than the other two did before giving me the BSOD. The second one gave me the BSOD less than 12 hours after I brought it home from the store!), then I'll let them. From what I've read, 7.0.3 fixes bugs with iMessage and some issues with the iPad (which I've refused to update to iOS 7--if it aint' broke, I'm not going to break it!). My iMessage has worked perfectly, though my niece was using a 4 and my best friend a 4S and they both had to turn iMessage off because it stopped working for them. I think that if 7.0.3 was going to address these crashes, the Advisor I chatted with today would not have been so anxious to shuttle me in for a replacement (it was their suggestion, not mine).

Whatever. I'm almost over this phone. Such a shame because I was so excited for it coming out, to the point that because I was in the hospital on release day, I had my Dad drive an hour from his house to come get my 4S from me, take it to Best Buy to trade it in and do the upgrade and bring the new phone back to me in the hospital. He was like, can't it wait until you get out of here? In retrospect, I suppose it could've. At least for the past three weeks I would've had a phone that didn't crash on me *all* the time at *any* time.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
There's no point swapping phones. It is software. Both my iPhone 4S and 5S both occasionally spring crash when switching apps.

It's my experience that Apple Geniuses are misnamed. Phone support isn't much better.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
That article claims the crashes are do to lack of testing do to not having access to the iPhone 5S.

What excuse does Apple have when it's own apps and iOS crashes?

This is quiet normal for a launch of a product for apple. Thier reaction is head in sand , make no statements and then roll out a patch week and weeks in the future. Apple has no concept of an emergency patch/fix.

My favourite one is still the iMacs that would crash when wifi was turned on, I think it too 3 to 4 weeks for a fix to be released , and by that time apple had replaced to many machines for no reason , never acknowledged what the issue was and rolled out a patch eventually . It's just the apple way, few month from now it will be old news.

----------

For so many reason the iPhone blue screen of death is karma...... Instead of the lame commercial Microsoft did, they should do one featuring the iPhone blue screen of death. Everyone in the industry will see the humour in that one.

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
My 2 days-old 5s freezed in Spotify yesterday. All the buttons were unresponsive (home and power included). Only the combination of home+power got me out of that madness.

Mrphildog

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
I've had my 5s since launch. I've had 2 resprings one lockup on lock screen and a couple of freezes for a couple of seconds that fixed themselves in that time. I don't see any pattern in these things and for the time being I'm just assuming it is software related with the 64bit version of ios being new. When I first got my iPhone 3G I had similar glitches that were fixed with updates.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
There's no point swapping phones. It is software. Both my iPhone 4S and 5S both occasionally spring crash when switching apps.

It's my experience that Apple Geniuses are misnamed. Phone support isn't much better.

I guess the difference between my experience and the experience of many people is that my crashes aren't occurring when I'm multi-tasking/switching apps. I'm just in an app and usually in that app for quite awhile when it crashes. Maybe that's why they're treating my issues differently? And I'm glad that you guys are only having occasional crashes. However the list of my app crashes in the week that I've had this hand set is seriously longer than my arm when you print it out. That's not right at all. That's not simply occasional. That's something that seriously infringes upon usage of the phone that I paid good money for. I'm not exactly rolling in money like many Apple users may be. :eek: So, I expect my phone to work more often than not, and that's not the experience I've had since getting the 5s.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
It's possible the apps you are using aren't compatible with iOS 7.

Personally I see a springboard crash every few days, with random app crashes in between on my iPhone 5S. My iPad 2 doesn't have any springboard crashes, but most apps get killed because of low memory.

My guess is one of the iPhone only apps is triggering this. I'd bet on weather since it runs in the background periodically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.