Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I have a projector I use daily for watching stuff. It requires the room to be dark, the darker the better. My desktop computer is placed in the same room, and I would really prefer that its monitor be off when I use the projector.

For VLC I can just "black out" the monitor while something is viewed on the projector, but it's not good enough -- too much light emanating from the monitor, still.

If I simply turn off the screen, OS will automatically make the projector the "main" display -- menu bar, all open apps are moved to the projector and upon turning on the monitor again I have to manually select it as the main display AND drag all the apps to the monitor.

Anyone with a great workaround/app for this?

Running 10.8.5 on an i5 Mac mini (2011)
Monitor: Dell U2711
Projector: Epson EH TW3200
Note: I don't mirror displays in order to maintain each device's natural resolution

Last edited:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
The only thing I know of is to try going into your monitor's settings with the buttons on the side or bottom and just turn the brightness all the way down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.