Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I keep my screen at about 45% brightness . Wifi all day at school / work . Auto update apps off. Stock app fetch off , push email off .

iMessage
Browsing mac rumors
Browsing imgur
4 or so phone calls about 1 hour in total
And listening to music about 3 hours a day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 141

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I still get 8-10hours battery life with my 5S, depending on usage.

But IMHO it uses a lot of % in standby over night....anyone else noticed this?

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I still get 8-10hours battery life with my 5S, depending on usage.

But IMHO it uses a lot of % in standby over night....anyone else noticed this?

The first cycle charge I did if got what seemed to be decent battery life for me....was over a day and a half of standby and 7 hours usage or close.

I was just about to go to sleep and started a game of Running With Friends and my phone just rebooted, apple logo popped up and then phone restarted. I played my game and then charged the phone, next morning I unplugged and used as normal, I check battery % about mid day and my standby and usage were the same. Last night I got home and had about 30% battery and I went to sleep about 11....woke up at 8am and the phone was dead. Strange to me since it seems it should have made it thru the night since the phone was just sitting there

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
For those that have battery problems turn off frequent locations under privacy and location services it's under the system services section. This prevents the ios from turning on gps to save location data every time you move or drive.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Coming from a 4S, battery life on the 5s has been fantastic. I've noticed that when I am not using my iPhone, the drain is minimal. My 4S would just eat battery while I was doing NOTHING.

Swinn

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Loving the battery life on 5S. Locations off, used mostly wifi for surfing, had about 3 hours of phone calls, sent and received text messages (some pics included) used FB, checked email, played a few games of solitaire. I still had 8% left. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 93

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Posting a pic without info on how you achieved that is pointless. Help us out here!

Sorry!! My phone is plug to the wall all night, fresh iOS 7 install, wifi everywhere, BT off, 30% brightness, location services is on but only the stuff (Find my phone,Weather, Siri and maps) I use, system services only Cell Network Search is on, frequently locations off, background app refresh off.

That's about it... my usage is all Pandora, iHeart, some Twitch steaming, text, few calls, facebook and 2 exchange accounts plus gmail.

Last edited:

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
how can you do 7-9 hours of usage ??? Never be able to do more than 6hrs30.

Here's my settings :

Wifi ON
Bluetooth OFF
Notification ON only for Phones, Message, Calendar, Mail, Facebook, Twitter
Background App Refresh at OFF
Auto-Brightness at OFF and set to 30-40% standard
Location services ON for Camera, Facebook, Safari, Siri, Twitter
Find My iPhone ON
System services all OFF except Cell Network Search
Mail at Push

Unplugged the phone at morning, instantly drop to 99 or 98%.

What can i do to get better battery life ???

Turn off your cell network search. During my testing the most significant drainer is poor cell coverage, especially with LTE.

iphoneuserinyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks i will try for sure...

And for the battery (drop to 99 or 98% when i unplugged the phone), do you have an idea ??

Mine does that too. But if I power down the phone right after I unplug it, when I turn it back on, the battery reads 100% and seems to drain at a normal rate.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Thanks i will try for sure...

And for the battery (drop to 99 or 98% when i unplugged the phone), do you have an idea ??

I never experience that, sometimes even it stays at 100% for almost like half hour usage before drop to 99%. I believe it's battery reading issue.

drain it till totally off and charge for 8 hours, see if it works

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Mine is worlds better than my previous 5 running iOS 7. I have 4 hours 9 minutes (mostly Safari and taking videos/pictures) with 46% left. With all the iPhones I have owned (many) I have never been able to get greater than 8 hours battery life.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Much, much better than iPhone 4S on iOS7

The battery life on my 4S was marginal when I upgraded to iOS6 (and stayed that way through iOS6.3), and was probably even worse on iOS7. I even went to the Apple Store to have them check the battery under Apple Care+, and they claimed the battery was fine.

The battery life of the 5S is significantly better. I generally leave BT and WiFi on all the time, turn off background updating, and try to keep apps with location services on to a minimum. I also keep LTE off as the AT&T faux-4G speeds are plenty fast for what I need when off WiFi (and I suspect that's a huge part of the power savings, but the 4S didn't have LTE.) Whereas I sometimes couldn't get through the morning without feeling the need to recharge the 4S (have cords at home, at the office and in the car, plus an external battery pack for emergencies), that's not the case with the 5S. I'm not sure it's an all-day battery with heavy usage, but it's a lot better than the 4S (and the 5, from what I gather), and I've been pleasantly surprised. I can't quantify the additional run-time, but I know it's better just by how less frequently I am charging.

Ironically, I bought a Mophie Juice Pack Plus case for the 5S. It's quite nice without being too bulkly, and the added weight is not too bad given that the 5S feels quite a bit lighter than the 4S. But now I can use it mainly for trips/weekends when I'll be away from an outlet, and that's all good.

I'm glad I waited for the 5S. Will wait for the 6S (or equivalent two years from now) before another upgrade. For the form factor/size, the iPhone is just about perfect. I couldn't use a larger phone with one hand. TouchID is it or miss for me, though, which is disappointing.

Last edited:

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Care to share your settings?

Sure! I turned off frequent locations just recently since it doesn't really apply for me.

Only system services that I allow Location to is Compass Calibration actually.

Auto brightness, haven't touched that setting.

Connected to Wifi and bluetooth headset a lot, turn it on airplane mode when I am in class.

Anything else I'm missing?

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Not bothered. I have chargers everywhere I go.
At home, both upstairs and downstairs, in the car, and at work.

I don't think my 5s battery has gone down past 90% :p

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
What do you guys mean "been through 5 charge cycles" does that mean 100% to 0% then charging back to 100%?

strikingviking

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
Battery draining excessively

I followed all of the instructions in previous posts regarding what to turn off except for WiFi. But even with my phone not being used overnight, as I check it every few hours, it drains an average of 2% per hour.
I drained it to zero three times and recharged it fully plus an hour but nothing has helped.
I bought my phone through AT&T--do I need to go to an AT&T store or an Apple store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.