Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some Chinese case-makers expect the new iPad mini to be roughly 0.3mm thicker than the current model, going from 7.2mm to 7.5mm, according to a report from Mac Otakara. The cases also indicate the device will be 0.2mm wider, growing from 134.7mm to some 134.9mm.

A number of iPad mini backplates, supposedly from the new device, have leaked over the past few months, with no hint that the size of the new mini will be different from the old one. However, given the small size changes in the new report -- only 0.3mm difference in thickness -- it would likely take a micrometer to notice any change.

NewImage3.png
The third-generation iPad, which was the first Apple tablet to come with a Retina display, gained 0.6mm in thickness and 0.07 pounds from the prior generation.

The new iPad mini cases also have a small hole for a possible back-mounted microphone, something that has appeared in prototype fifth-generation iPad shells, and also on preproduction cases for the first-generation iPad mini. However, alleged second-generation iPad mini shells have not had a microphone hole in that location.

The next iPad mini will be revealed next Tuesday, October 22 and it is widely anticipated to include a high-resolution Retina display -- though it's possible the new mini will be in short supply because of manufacturing difficulties with the new display.

Article Link: Third-Party Cases for Next iPad Mini Suggest Slight Thickening to Accomodate Retina Display

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Half the thickness increase that the iPad 3 saw over the 2? I'd say that's pretty negligible. Hardly noticeable.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
No one will EVER notice .3mm

You say that now, but people noticed the difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3. Both weight and dimension. It could be the difference is smaller with the mini, but it was also very light and small to begin with. So that means these changes will be even more noticeable

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I don't have room for that kind of monstrosity! 0,3mm may not sound like much, but if you stack 1.000.000 of them, it's 300 meters MORE than old 7,2mm thin iPad mini! If that doesn't bother you, what will? I predict no one will be buying these new thick iPads.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
That's too bad because I really felt the iPad mini was absolutely perfect in terms of dimensions and weight.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
There isn't a 3rd party case manufacturer in the world that knows if apple is going with a retina for the new mini . They are gambling on it. However chances are apple will put a retina in the mini this year and update to touch id next year.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
nothing to see here, move along...

Sure, it'll be 0.3mm thicker, but more importantly... will it blend?

:p

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
I am 0.3 inch richer too, Apple, please take my money now.

I need a retina iPad mini now.

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Non-issue. Thickness is not a bad thing. It makes electronics easier to hold in one hand without clutching onto them for dear life.

If it's HEAVIER, now THAT'S a real problem...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The .3mm thickness is irreverent. Weight is more important to the mini. I expect it won't be an issue though.

Should be a nice product. I'm still liking the iPad 5 because I refer a 10" screen.

The iPad 3 was definitely heavier in feel. But the trade off was more than worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.