Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HTC today unveiled its newest device, the HTC One max, a 5.9-inch smartphone that includes a dedicated fingerprint sensor. Unlike the convenient home button location of the fingerprint sensor in the iPhone 5s, the One max's sensor is located on the back of the device, near the camera.

The sensor is activated via a swipe and can be programmed to recognize three different fingers. Each finger can be tied to a different function, allowing quick access to frequently used apps. One finger, for example, can unlock the phone, while another might open up the camera.

onemax.jpg
While that sounds useful in theory, reviews of the HTC One max have likened its fingerprint sensor to little more than a gimmick. While the iPhone 5s received rave reviews for the Touch ID's utility and ease of use, the One max fingerprint sensor appears to be less functional due to its location and the need to wake the phone from sleep before use. The Verge has a detailed review of the feature, calling it an "exercise in frustration."
Firstly, it's placed in exactly the wrong place. Sitting immediately below the camera lens and requiring a swipe, it pretty much compels you to smudge the lens every time you want to identify yourself. The need for a vertical swipe is also problematic, since your hand's natural position is at an angle to the sensor, demanding an unnatural and uncomfortable motion to activate it. Inevitably, that leads to regular failures to recognize your epidermic signature.

Equally enervating is the fact that you have to wake the One max from sleep before swiping to unlock it. The whole point of these fingerprint sensors is to speed up security processes, not make them more finicky, and that's exactly where the HTC One max fails. There's plenty of potential here, as you can enroll up to three different fingers and assign each an app to launch, but that only works from the lock screen -- why not universally? As it is, the fingerprint scanner implementation here is clumsy, awkward, and comfortably in line with the long history of failed attempts at making this technology work.
Pocket-lint agrees, noting the difficulty in using the fingerprint scanner without swiping the camera lens.
But it's irritating that you have to press the standby button before you can swipe to unlock the phone, so it's a two-stage process and we'd much rather it was one.

Much as we hate to say it, the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5S is much better when it comes to unlocking: you press the button, it scans, and you're in. It's one process. On the HTC One max, we suspect that some will find it fiddly from the off, and disable the feature in favour of regular on-screen security.
In addition to a finger print sensor, the One max features a 1.7Ghz quad-core processor, a 1080p display, 16 to 32GB of expandable storage, a 4-megapixel UltraPixel camera with an f/2.0 aperture, and a 3300 mAh battery for up to 25 hours of talk time.

The smartphone will be available on Sprint and Verizon later in October.

Article Link: HTC Launches One Max Smartphone, Fingerprint Sensor Garners Negative Reviews

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Another crap Android ripoff. I'm surprised Samsung wasn't first to the show.

Last edited:

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
That was fast (less than a month)

Apple does not always do things first (finger print scanner has been on a mobile phone before) but they seem to be able to do things correctly (or pretty damn close) first.

Other than the fingerprint sensor, the phone looks pretty cool! 6" screen seems a bit too large for a phone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm an Apple fan and I much prefer the iPhone implementation....

BUT

I would like to point out that you also have to wake the iPhone before using the scanner, making that part of the argument rather moot.

EDIT: PLEASE STOP QUOTING THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE OTHER COMMENTS. I'VE ALREADY RESPONDED TO ENOUGH POSTS SAYING EXACTLY THE SAME THING IN RESPONSE.

Last edited:

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
and here come the rippoffs. as far as android phones go, the htc one models are probably the best, but this looks like failed implementation.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I always found the 'One' name ironic, seeing as they keep releasing different variations of the phone, as opposed to just focusing on one really excellent product.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Literally the worst place you could put a fingerprint scanner....

Last edited:

rcjh22

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
Here comes the rush from other companies to match Apple but make an inferior product.

DIRSGT

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
NC
I would like to point out that you also have to wake the iPhone before using the scanner, making that part of the argument rather moot.

But with Apple's implementation it is a seamless step as you push the button in activating the phone at the same time scanning your finger. HTC's implementation as I read it, is a separate motion; thus, it is an actual extra step.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Um, the 5s needs to be awake from sleep to be able to use it's fingerprint sensor too. :confused:

EDIT: I get that it's a one step process though. Pushing the button is essentially the same step as keeping your finger there for scanning.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Literally the worst place you get put a fingerprint scanner....

Actually, I could suggest a worse one... :p (and I might, to anyone who tried to sell me that phone!).

The HTC One is very nice in person, but the design didn't allow for the fingerprint sensor in the same location as the 5S without a significant redesign. I'm surprised they bothered to put it in at all, it's not as if it's a must-have feature; and if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008

BUT

True, but waking and fingerprint unlocking can be done from the same place on the iPhone 5s.

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
"Much as we hate to say it, the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5S is much better when it comes to unlocking"

Man, people just want to hate Apple for the sake of hating.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Um, the 5s needs to be awake from sleep to be able to use it's fingerprint sensor too. :confused:

Not in the same way. You can do it in a single motion. Click the home button, leave your finger on it, and your in. Here you have to wake the device, then swipe your finger across the sensor on the back. So it's two steps over one.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I expected Samsung to come out with a half-assed copy of Apple's fingerprint sensor by now.

But instead, we get this "quarter-assed" one from HTC ;)

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

You do want something to prevent accidental waking of the phone. If you reach into your pocket and just touch the homescreen, do you want it to unlock?

You can click and remain there for a moment to unlock, pretty easy.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA

BUT

Yes, while this is true, it can technically be considered as a "1 step process" or 1.5 step process if you will. When unlocking, you can if you please just place your finger there, press the home button and let your finger rest. Definitely not as cumbersome as this is.

ThePaul

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013

BUT

The pain is negated by having the fingerprint sensor on the button used to unlock the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.