Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Anyone else play the demo yet? It looks to be a real treat for fans of Heavy Rain and Quantic Dream in general. Will definitely be picking this up on Tuesday.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
it got a 6.0 on IGN.

"Beyond: Two Souls is an ambitious opus, let down by lack of meaningful player choice and an unfocused plot"

"Poor combat Mechanics, unfocused plot, choices feel inconsequential"

Obviously its just one review, but not a great start.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The David Cage hate continues. I still don't get the hate on interactive movie or QTEs. I don't mind hating on him if the story he creates are bad but hating on it because its basically an interactive movie...I don't get that.

Bless

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I enjoyed Heavy Rain and will likely get Beyond: Two Souls. But I can see why it and Heavy Rain maybe didn't do so well ratings wise. QTE's are hated in most games and let's face it, these games are pretty much pure QTE and dialogue trees. The brunt of games sold (and hence gamers) are hated when they have too much QTE's and too much story. It's taking the part that the majority of game players dislike and making that the only thing in it.

Without having played it myself, I think the Rev3Games is likely a good review. It doesn't discount the game for having story and QTE but still let's you know the pieces they didn't care for. If you don't like the genre as a whole, which many reviewers might not, then you're not going to enjoy the game.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I played indigo prophecy / Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain, so I will pick up Beyond : Two Souls at some point, however at the moment I just have too much to play and finish. I've barely scratched the surface of many new games like GTA V.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I've been very impressed with this game so far. At first I was a little underwhelmed, but as I continue replaying certain scenes, I realize just how well David Cage balanced a set narrative with player choice. He claims there are 23 endings. At first I was convinced there were only 5, and all the "EVERY ENDING!!!1!!!11!!!1!" videos on YouTube seemed to confirm this

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I intentionally failed the final QTE against the entities, and Jody DIES. No choosing between the Beyond or Living, no various endings to decide between. She dies. You fail. Game over. It made me wonder if the player could make this happen even earlier in the game. That's when I realized there probably are 23 unique endings. And I have to see them all. This game is so well made.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm playing through it and loving it so far - but I also enjoy these kind of games and thoroughly enjoyed Heavy Rain. The plot's a little confusing right now but I imagine it will clear up as more chapters go by.

Curse the spoilers in the last comment, I couldn't resist reading :p

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I'm playing through it and loving it so far - but I also enjoy these kind of games and thoroughly enjoyed Heavy Rain. The plot's a little confusing right now but I imagine it will clear up as more chapters go by.

Curse the spoilers in the last comment, I couldn't resist reading :p

Sorry Hastings! There's still plenty left unspoiled if that makes you feel any better :)

blueTattoo

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
it got a 6.0 on IGN.

"Beyond: Two Souls is an ambitious opus, let down by lack of meaningful player choice and an unfocused plot"

"Poor combat Mechanics, unfocused plot, choices feel inconsequential"

Obviously its just one review, but not a great start.

IGN review- 6.0 "okay"

IGN community rating- 9.1 "Amazing" out of 511 ratings (so far)

So, should we want to make everybody happy, let's just give it a 69 score and notice that the game really, really sucks...or maybe it's the reviewer. :D

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
After first 30 minutes... I realized that this game is better than Heavy Rain... I have no idea how they managed to create this masterpiece. Bravo!

Ellen Page > Madison Paige?

Nahhhhhh. HR > B2S.

This game didn't live up to its expectations at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.