Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
HMMMMM prototype? Kick me down.........in the nuts NO WAY I would buy one of those as a matter of fact that looks just like the mp3 player that my local Freds Discount store had on sale a couple years back.

And everyone please note the 8gb Title vs the 16gb capacity in description cant deny its got a nice little plastic iphone 4 wannabe never gonna be thing goin on .

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Those iPods are K.I.R.F.s.. They are junk labeled as some kind of prototype.

However they look a bit iPhone 4 ish. And have ports and labeling Apple would never do. The OS/Apps also look like kirf copies.

It's pirate junk like selling you a TV, and all that's in the box is a brick.

Rocknbuyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Here are some pictures. I have removed the ID code for security purposes.

Attachments

• DSC_0010_zps72ed8b3cmmm.jpg
    DSC_0010_zps72ed8b3cmmm.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0014_zpscc232cc5nn.jpg
    DSC_0014_zpscc232cc5nn.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0020_zps2e15516d.jpg
    DSC_0020_zps2e15516d.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0013_zps49af4381.jpg
    DSC_0013_zps49af4381.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 83

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The problem is, while YOU may have legally paid cash for it, the previous owner- or perhaps the owner before him- did not. Apple does not sell their prototypes.

This.

Someone, somewhere along the line, unloaded this device illegally. As has been said several times before in this thread, Apple doesn't sell their prototypes or release their interest in them. This would've been a device that an employee was given 'carry' permission for. That device was either lost or stolen or the employee figured after a certain period of time no one would notice if he/she gave/sold it to someone else.

No matter how your friend, or their friend, or the friend before that, got ahold of this device, ultimately it's 'hot'.

Rocknbuyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
I wouldn't say this device was ever 'stolen'. The seller who sold me this often receives items regularly from a recycling plant that deals with electronic devices from all sorts of big companies(Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc.) He states that "Most of the devices they receive are destroyed since they contain sensitive information" And it struck him odd that there was only ONE of these iPhones, since most everything comes into the plant in bulk. I guess that is when he examined it closer and found it was a prototype.

Anyways, obviously it was a mistake on Apple for sending the device to the plant, as it seems it wasn't meant to be sent there.

?

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I wouldn't say this device was ever 'stolen'. The seller who sold me this often receives items regularly from a recycling plant that deals with electronic devices from all sorts of big companies(Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc.) He states that "Most of the devices they receive are destroyed since they contain sensitive information" And it struck him odd that there was only ONE of these iPhones, since most everything comes into the plant in bulk. I guess that is when he examined it closer and found it was a prototype.

Anyways, obviously it was a mistake on Apple for sending the device to the plant, as it seems it wasn't meant to be sent there.

?

I don't know how it is in the states but at least here in Sweden it's illegal to take things out of a recycling plant and/or dump. Apple paid to have these destroyed/recycled and not for an employee of said plant to take them home with him.

Rocknbuyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
i don't know how it is in the states but at least here in sweden it's illegal to take things out of a recycling plant and/or dump. Apple paid to have these destroyed/recycled and not for an employee of said plant to take them home with him.

idk.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

?

So he stole it from the plant? :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't know how it is in the states but at least here in Sweden it's illegal to take things out of a recycling plant and/or dump. Apple paid to have these destroyed/recycled and not for an employee of said plant to take them home with him.

For most people it would be illegal (theft). For the company owner of that plant it might be not illegal, but he or she would certainly be in breach of their contract with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.