Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superper28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
hey guys,

im starting this project called iOX 7. its basically a project where ill be designing icons that would make OSX look more iOS. Its not just transfering square icons from iOS 7 to the mac but its mixing design elements from iOS7 with the existing mac icons to give you a redesigned feel while keeping the familiarity of OSX. and more on than just core app icons, i plan to design icons for third party apps and system items, such as folders and hard drives as well. I post my works in my blog. so please check it out, feel free to download any of them. Also i would love to hear from you guys on how i can improve my icons so please comment away! :)

to give you an idea what im up to, heres my desktop:
Screen+Shot+2013-09-12+at+11.35.10+AM.png

again heres the link to my blog: Project iOX 7

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I really don't like iOS 7 icons.
In my opinion their ulgly.

Windows 8 looks better, for me.

To an extent I have to agree, they are not ugly but poorly designed. There is no consistency with the design of the iconography as per the previous generation of icons.

Looking at it from a pure high level design perspective, gradients aren't consistent they go from light to dark on some dark to light on others, the level of detail within icons vary therefore none of them look as though they are of the same family (checking the Safari icon compared to the messages) and finally colour effects and shadows they are all different.

Stylistically the problem being no consistency which should be design101 for a business built on design such as Apple.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
To an extent I have to agree, they are not ugly but poorly designed. There is no consistency with the design of the iconography as per the previous generation of icons.

Looking at it from a pure high level design perspective, gradients aren't consistent they go from light to dark on some dark to light on others, the level of detail within icons vary therefore none of them look as though they are of the same family (checking the Safari icon compared to the messages) and finally colour effects and shadows they are all different.

Stylistically the problem being no consistency which should be design101 for a business built on design such as Apple.

Actually, I prefer when they don't look the same. It's easier to find them quickly. :)

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal

I couldn't agree more.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Actually, I prefer when they don't look the same. It's easier to find them quickly. :)

I'm not saying they need to look the same rather there needs to be a uniform style across the philosophy. They can use colour, symbols, etc.. to break up the continuity as you have mentioned but within a more uniform style guide.

For examples:
- All gradients styled within the same way, e.g dark top to light bottom.
- Either all icons having a slight dropshadow or none.
- Visual complexity needs to be uniform, e.g. compare the messages icon to the game centre icon they don't even seem to be in the same family.
- Decide whether or not text should be in all or none icons.
- Loss of tactileness of buttons to titles to stylised imagery, the best examples of this is in the settings.

The other main gripe I have with iOS7 there is no consistency of titles and clickable items, this is a huge fail because it's near on impossible to discern what is navigation to what is orientation element. Really?! this is basic interaction design they if not failed have overlooked.

Thus absolute no consistency of UX and designed UI items.

Last edited:

SteaKnife

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Grover CO
I don't want to trash your work, because it doesn't look bad, but if/when OS X looks like iOS 7, my Mac days are done.. :(

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
OR Apple could give OSX custom 'themes' similar to Windows, where you can upload your themes to the App Store or something where people can download/use them.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
OR Apple could give OSX custom 'themes' similar to Windows, where you can upload your themes to the App Store or something where people can download/use them.

Ha ha, Apple offering choice.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Wierdest new icon: Settings.

One could debate whether a gear is the appropriate icon for Settings.

One could debate whether a pair or set of gears is an appropriate icon for Settings.

But there should not be any debate about this: an icon showing the gears inside of a watch, is NOT an appropriate icon for settings.

I suppose younger users will miss the connection, but the new Settings icon, which the concentric gears with a frame over them looks an awful lot like a part of a mechanical watch mechanism.

And the connection to "Settings", is.... ???

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Man if Apple bring that look to OS X it'll be worse than the first bout of iOSification on OS X.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
They look great! Great job!

Also, how did you create your blog and setup? I love the design.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I myself have had a crack at designing an iOS 7 inspired theme for OS X - and was released a few weeks back.

It's a PowerPC/Leopard theme so unless any of you guys spend time in the PowerPC forum you probably wouldn't have come across it.

I tried to stray away from the 'interesting' gradients found in iOS 7 but keep that same colourful, uniform look.

Feel free to check it out! Id love some feedback.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I myself have had a crack at designing an iOS 7 inspired theme for OS X - and was released a few weeks back.

It's a PowerPC/Leopard theme so unless any of you guys spend time in the PowerPC forum you probably wouldn't have come across it.

I tried to stray away from the 'interesting' gradients found in iOS 7 but keep that same colourful, uniform look.

Feel free to check it out! Id love some feedback.

I wish it was for Tiger :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.