Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

js09

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
lol @ people thinking there will be a 4k monitor released this year. figures.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
Ugh what to buy first??

easy.

buy_all_things-400x300.jpg

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
iPad in Nov? That is far away....I thought iPads will be available for shipment immediately after 22nd Oct announcements. I already sold my iPad 3.

----------

I still using my 2008 first aluminum Macbook. Going great and serves my needs. Only battery capacity has fallen to 59%.

I rarely use it anyway when I have iPad for most of my daily tasks.

mine works good too. havent had a problem with it. i just got a new job and it sucks having to carry it around. its a little too bulky. and plus airplay came in 2011 and airparrot sucks

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Many potential Mac Pro customers have little use for more than 4 cores...

Can you cite a source for this? Programs like Mari, AutoCad, PS CS6 are all optimized to use as many cores as available to maximize workflows like renders.

The 4-core option gives this and also lets Apple start at a lower price.

Agreed but not sure they're interested in creating a low barrier to buy with this machine.

Nearly all Mac Pros sold were 4 core models over the past few years too.

What is your source for this information? As far as I'm aware, Apple doesn't break out sales of it's products like Mac Pro along the lines of what CPU packages are selling best.

You have several flawed notions going here...

While you're arguments are well-reasonsed I'm still skeptical that Apple is going to offer a 4 CPU package as a method of an affordable entry point for this machine. The Mac Pro is a halo machine and I'd argue that once we're talking about pricepoints this high, many potential customers are willing to absorb even a $500+ higher entry point for more brute muscle.

As I've had the business folks at the Apple store tell me many times, most Mac Pros are sold to businesses which treat them as fixed assets that are depreciated over three to five years. As such, the customers they deal with tend to speck out their machines and pay more on the front-end because they know it will mean it lasts longer on the back-end.

Moreover, while a 4 CPU base package may be generally more competitive than all but the highest spec iMac today, I wouldn't expect that to be the case in 3, 4 or 5 years which again is the time horizon that many businesses buying these machines have as their accounting and replacement cycle.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
My 2009 iMac died (technically the graphics card is dying, either way the cost of service isn't worth it), and I'm really considering a Mac Pro. I just want to know if I have a remote chance of getting one with a display for $3Kish.

Since there will probably be 4K screens out next year, you may want to keep the iMac (if it is 27-inch Late 2009) as a monitor if it will stay in target display mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924). If it is just a fan failing and overheating, you may want to try fixing it yourself. Plenty of guides online. I have replaced fans in most of my four year old Macs to get a bit more life out of them. My guess is it will start out at more like $2500 without a monitor. You would probably need to buy a non-Apple monitor to hit that price.

Last edited:

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Although the Mini probably will not get any attention if they do update it, it may be due for a more significant update. The move to the new SSDs may result in them dropping the drive bays at some point. Particularly if they add at least 2 thunderbolt ports.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Can you cite a source for this? Programs like Mari, AutoCad, PS CS6 are all optimized to use as many cores as available to maximize workflows like renders.

PS CS5 has problems.
http://macperformanceguide.com/PhotoshopCS5-performance-cores.html

> $1,000 for individual software titles typically don't have a problem driving higher hardware foundation costs. Mari and higher end AutoCad aren't going to drive high numbers of entry configration Mac Pros. Mid and upper ones? Yes. Primarily targeted at the lowest possible price point one? No.

Most more mainstream software titles are targeted at what most users buy as opposed to what they could buy if money was no object. Most software users have budgets. Which means there are folks out there with Mari/AutodCAD/etc who are going to be using iMacs and MBPs in addition to Mac Pros. They will scale by many titles will be highly tuned for 4 because that is what most people have.

Agreed but not sure they're interested in creating a low barrier to buy with this machine.

They are trying to sell less Mac Pro then they were previously? That they want to put it on a downward growth spiral ?

Apple doesn't put much effort into downward spiral products. Quick look at the iPod classic and iPod touch hightlights that quite clearly.

The current Mac Pro wasn't very successful. Apple wouldn't have left a successful product drift for this long and go completely dark in the EU markets.

While you're arguments are well-reasonsed I'm still skeptical that Apple is going to offer a 4 CPU package as a method of an affordable entry point for this machine.

There is nothing that stop folks who want more that 4 cores to buy more than 4. However, if looking for an affordable entry point then extremely likely going to use affordable components. The E5 1620 v2 is affordable.

You are balancing the entire Mac Pro line up on the relatively small overlap area it has with the BTO iMacs. That isn't a strategic placement issue for the Mac Pro configurations.

The Mac Pro is a halo machine

No it isn't. It is a machine for folks who have work to do.

and I'd argue that once we're talking about pricepoints this high, many potential customers are willing to absorb even a $500+ higher entry point for more brute muscle.

Correct so that folks will skip the $2,499 E5 1620 v2 and go to the $2,999 E5 16250 v2. if they think $500 is worth more "brute muscle".

The iMac cranked up to match the E5 1620 v2 and FirePro GPU (just one) is up in the $2,399-2,499 range. ( add 3.5GHz CPU package and 780M --> 2,349 . swap a 256GB SSD to even out the storage and it is $2,549).

What you are doing is comparing lower powered and lower priced iMacs to the entry Mac Pro. Even out the systems where the iMac is supposedly "more powerful" and the gap is quite small. The trade-off is between getting a screen versus getting better expansion options and mulltcore performance.

. As such, the customers they deal with tend to speck out their machines and pay more on the front-end because they know it will mean it lasts longer on the back-end.

And they will skip the entry model Mac Pro. However, there are a substantial number of other folks who don't primarily buy at Apple stores that won't skip it. ( they get better pricing/service elsewhere).

Moreover, while a 4 CPU base package may be generally more competitive than all but the highest spec iMac today, I wouldn't expect that to be the case in 3, 4 or 5 years

Eh? So now the Mac Pro 2013 has to compete with the iMac 2018 ???? What does that have to do with a purchasing decision to be made in 2013-2014. You can't buy a 2018 iMac now. It can do no work, or accomplish anything for several years.

This is seems to be drifting into some "pay more to future proof" sideshow. Nothing is future proof. Computers 4-5 years from now will be faster than the current stuff. For a business what matters is whether the machine is generating revenue/benefits now. The machine won't get slower over time.

which again is the time horizon that many businesses buying these machines have as their accounting and replacement cycle.

Depreciations cycles are from 3-5 years. Since the assest has been completely written down in 2018 the Mac Pro 2018 can compete against the iMac 2018.

Some folks like sitting on a fully deprecated asset for longer periods of time. As long as it is making them money.... but in that case a 2018 iMac is going to cost money and the Mac Pro 2013 won't.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Most likely scenario:

10/22 - Run a big new ad for Mac Pro (no more tech or price details). Lots of gushing about how cool it is going to be (but please keep waiting).

On the day Apple introduces new iPad and iPad mini they spend big ad dollars on a Mac Pro ?????? Eh, no.

Mac Pro will get some stage time only because they actually haven't announced the prices and configurations yet. But as far as being the focus??? Besides the iPads if just look at this rumor the products that will be immediately available are the MBP. If there is a Mac product that gets some focus on it, they would probably be the one they are actually selling.

If MBP 13" sales collapse the whole Mac ecosystem has major problems. The Mac Pro isn't going to have that kind of impact even in the desktop subset of the Mac ecosystem.

This whole wind-up hype phase for the Mac Pro pasted the ridiculously long stage a while back. The Mac Pro is going to go on month 10 of being blocked in the EU markets before they uncork this. The chest beating takes on more characteristics of being misdirection from just how jacked up the product management has been on the Mac Pro.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
My 2009 iMac died (technically the graphics card is dying, either way the cost of service isn't worth it), and I'm really considering a Mac Pro. I just want to know if I have a remote chance of getting one with a display for $3Kish.

Unless you're dying to have a thunderbolt display then im willing to bet you could at least get the entry level mac pro.

devilofspades

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I completely agree. My guess is that a barebones nMP will be in the $2,499 to $2,799 range and that's for the 8 core model with a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM and the base dual Firepro video card option.

We'll have to see how much of the internals can be upgraded but given the completely unique design I'm guessing that if you don't specify some of the options as BTO you'll be out of luck down the road. This is likely going to drive many of us (myself included) to opt for more mid-tier models that will push the price closer to $4k.

As for the ACD, I'm still holding out hope for a 4K matte display...or at least the matte display is an option. As I've said before, they made such a big deal about the nMP being capable of pushing up to 3, 4K displays and editing 4K video that it seems weird to me that after all that teasing, they wouldn't offer such a beast. That said, a 4K display in the 32" range is going to set you back between $2,500 and $3,000.

So, for a mid-tier nMP and 4K display (if released), I'd say around $6,500 should do it. My 2008 MP and ACD has carried me well for more than 5 years. If a nMP and ACD go the same distance at the price mentioned above I'm looking $3.50+ a day for cost of ownership.

im going on a limb and guessing we might see a sub $2k price point ($1999.99) for the basiest of the base models. i can hear tim cook now,

"not only have we moved production to right here in the u.s., but are offering it a lower price point then ever before. it's just simply incredible. the beauty and the blah blah blah <insert apple buzz word here>"

i think apple has to make an attempt to lower the price to show their design change has more impact then just performance. if they really are "optimizing production", then lower costs should be apart of that equation. again, this is just a stab in the dark and purely a guess at their new marketing techniques.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
mine works good too. havent had a problem with it. i just got a new job and it sucks having to carry it around. its a little too bulky. and plus airplay came in 2011 and airparrot sucks

Agree...AirPlay will be awesome but I am going to live with it unless and must have new Macbook.

I paid almost $1700 in Oct 2008 and will squeeze out as much as I can from this :D

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
some food for thought...

I'm guessing Apple is going to refresh only the rMBP this time around (and thus will be phasing out the classic MBP line) but not I'm so sure if they're going to add a discrete GPU card into these 2013 rMBP based on earlier reports of the benchmark results which makes me wonder if the 2014's MBP lineup is really the ones worth holding out for with regard to seeing much more significant improvements to both processing power AND battery efficiency within the same system?

Strumzilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Since there will probably be 4K screens out next year, you may want to keep the iMac (if it is 27-inch Late 2009) as a monitor if it will stay in target display mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924). If it is just a fan failing and overheating, you may want to try fixing it yourself. Plenty of guides online. I have replaced fans in most of my four year old Macs to get a bit more life out of them. My guess is it will start out at more like $2500 without a monitor. You would probably need to buy a non-Apple monitor to hit that price.

Thanks for this suggestion, I will give this a try. If it's able to bypass the iMac video card, then maybe it will still be usable as a monitor. I don't think it's an overheating issue, it manifests as soon as it's powered on, even if it's been turned off overnight. It's the big black blocks covering certain but not all windows. It essentially renders the iMac unusable. If the TDM will work, that will at least get me some more monitor life out of it. I'd rather wait on a 4k display if those are around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.