Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiwi56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I need to do a lot of my work from home and I cannot use any applications for e-mail without IE. This is the message that I got form my IT dept when I asked them for help.

"From the screenshot I can see you are using Safari and not internet explorer, there is a version of Internet explorer available for Mac computers. As our system is Microsoft system you only get the full benefits when using another Microsoft product.
Sorry for the inconvenience"

However looking at this forum there does not seem to be a version that is available for Macs. Can anyone help?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Ask your IT dept which version number of IE they want or need you to use on Windows. That will establish exactly which capabilities are needed.

Then ask them to tell you which IE version to use for Macs. Because I'm pretty sure IE never went beyond version 5.2.x on Mac OS X.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_Mac
Discontinued 2003 (10 years ago)
I could be wrong about this, but if your IT dept requires IE 6 or something similarly old, then your only choice would be to run Windows. You can do that under a virtualizer like Parallels or VirtualBox, or by running Windows as a separate OS under Boot Camp.

Another suggestion would be try Firefox and Chrome and see how they work. At least it will give you a comparison.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I run an all Mac shop ( okay so servers are Unbuntu; <sadface> were Solaris </sadface> ) and I work with alot of all Windows shops. I've never needed IE for anything.

Would you give a little more information? It sounds like lazyITitus.

For example: Mac Mail App will communicate perfectly with a Windows Exchange network.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No IE love for OS X for quite some time now. You must have a copy of Windows to either Bootcamp or visualize. There might be a way to get it running in a compatibility layer such as WINE.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I.E. is around 12% of overall browser in use. The IT department is just being lazy (but don't tell them that).
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Ask them if the email can be accessed through Microsoft Outlook.

I need to do a lot of my work from home and I cannot use any applications for e-mail without IE. This is the message that I got form my IT dept when I asked them for help.

"From the screenshot I can see you are using Safari and not internet explorer, there is a version of Internet explorer available for Mac computers. As our system is Microsoft system you only get the full benefits when using another Microsoft product.

However looking at this forum there does not seem to be a version that is available for Macs. Can anyone help?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Dear IT

Just to keep you up to date, Internet Explorer has not been available for Macs for over seven years, and cannot be run on the Intel processors that Apple has used since 2006 because it was compiled for Motorola PowerPC CPUs.

Please explain what proprietary technologies you are using for something as basic as web-email, which should run in any browser, using open standards; and how you plan to cater for those who don't use Microsoft products.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
personally I have a Virtualbox VM with XP for running IE when I need to check my websites for browser compatibility - I keep several versions of the VM for differing versions of the IE browser. Its a pain, but a necessary evil.

its probably the only way you will get 'easy' use of IE on the ac desktop, without boot camping. Its a pain having to have an XP license, but then these can be found fairly cheap on ebay nowadays. (I paid £20 for mine many moons ago).

localhost8080

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
probably the best way to run ie for testing websites is to download the microsoft provided test images. yeah, microsoft give disk images in a load of formats for you to download and use. for free.

if you install virtualbox on your mac (its free) or parallels then you can get various versions of windows with various versions of ie installed.

eg, you can get windows xp with ie6 right up to windows8.1 with ie11.

grab the images from: http://modern.ie

I just got a windows8 with ie10 2 days ago...

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I'm not sure what they are on about. You can use Microsoft outlook web access from most modern browsers. You can set up an exchange account in iOS an OSX. You can VPN in and use Microsoft Remote Desktop (or other apps) with iOS and OSX.

They're just being stupid.

What issues are you actually having setting it up?

Kiwi56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Hi Wackymacky,
I cannot use colour, bold, different font sizes etc or forward images that are in the body of the e-mail. I can receive e-mails with these features but not send them. This means that I have to paste the e-mail into a work document if I want to use eg highlight text in colour or bold, all very time consuming.
Any help would be gratefully received.

Kiwi56

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Sounds like they may be using Exchange 2003 - which you cannot connect with Mail and only has basic Webmail support on anything but Windows IE (not even Mac IE will help even if it was going to run - which it cannot).

Heck, they may not even offer VPN either or that VPN technology could be based on proprietary technology that is IE only and may very well be Windows only (like the one at my company).

You may be stuck in that case with the fact that your IT department may be using old tech that isn't well supported on Mac's and your only recourse is running Windows on Mac using the techniques listed above.

I doubt it's just "lazy IT people" like most people are saying. Most of the time IT has a pre-determined list of what they know works and what they will support. if you want things fully supported.

I can tell you that their knowledge of IE for Mac is quite lacking since it won't work no matter what you are looking for. They are wrong there.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
The IT department @ my compnay has thing locked down too.
I generally use Firefox to access the Outlook webaccess for email.
I can do what i need to do. I don't do any fancy formating.
Outlook WebAccess seems to have a different look on the various browsers.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I.E. is around 12% of overall browser in use. The IT department is just being lazy (but don't tell them that).
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Ask them if the email can be accessed through Microsoft Outlook.

IE is closer to 50%. The stats you quoted are only for the w3schools website, so they are VERY skewed.

From the statistics below (collected from W3Schools' log-files over a period of ten years), you can read the long term trends of browser usage.

Plus, if their using some crap software that requires ActiveX, he has no choice but to run the software over IE in Windows.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yes, the data you showed that I.E. is not the leading browser anymore, which is my point.

Irreverent. IE has a lot of exclusive technologies (such as ActiveX) that business use. It has nothing to do with laziness like you claim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.