Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holmes88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
Ok so I am a little confused. My computer was working great it's a 15" Macbook Pro early 2011. One day it wouldn't turn on, I was freaking out! Then I hooked up my charger and it turned on except it had a X on the battery icon and said Batteries Not Available. Not knowing what that meant I googled it and was told to do a SMC restart... did that hoping it would work. No luck then I was told it was hardware problem. So I ran a test and only thing that came up was error for a battery :mad:

Now the weird part. I try and look at my battery info and it doesn't even show up. Like nothing. Anyone have any ideas please??

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
The X shows up when there is no battery connected. This was more common on the pre-unibody MBPs when it had a removable and user serviceable battery. If you've done an SMC reset and the battery is still not being recognized, then you have a hardware problem. It could be something as simple as a drop dislodging the battery, the battery connector going bad, or something with the battery itself or even logic board. Best bet is to take it in to an Apple Store so they can figure out what's going on. If you have screwdrivers take of the back cover and see if there is anything obviously wrong, but I wouldn't recommend poking around with a power issue.

Holmes88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
The X shows up when there is no battery connected. This was more common on the pre-unibody MBPs when it had a removable and user serviceable battery. If you've done an SMC reset and the battery is still not being recognized, then you have a hardware problem. It could be something as simple as a drop dislodging the battery, the battery connector going bad, or something with the battery itself or even logic board. Best bet is to take it in to an Apple Store so they can figure out what's going on. If you have screwdrivers take of the back cover and see if there is anything obviously wrong, but I wouldn't recommend poking around with a power issue.

I took off the back cover and besides lots of dust everything looked good. The problem is we do not have a Apple store that is close it's about 3 hours to go there. Then it's like 80$ just to get a test done, then could be 100-600$ in repair. So trying to hold off for a bit. :(

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
A completely dead battery usually shows up in desktop with an X. You should download Coconut Battery and see what it says. If it shows 0%, your battery is dead.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
It just says N/A :(

I think that it clearly points to a disconnected (or not detected) battery. However just to be sure, open up the laptop and disconnect the battery (iFixit will be your guide). You don't need to remove it. Power on like that and see if there's any difference in the battery indicator. If not, then dust off the connector, plug the battery back in and try again.

Also, what does the battery indicator on the left of the laptop display when you press the button?

Regards
Raptor

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I took off the back cover and besides lots of dust everything looked good. The problem is we do not have a Apple store that is close it's about 3 hours to go there. Then it's like 80$ just to get a test done, then could be 100-600$ in repair. So trying to hold off for a bit. :(

$80 to get a test done? I have always set up a genius appointment and had it tested for free out of warranty. Do you have AppleCare? If so, you can get EVERYTHING done for free (except for gas)

lawhuiyiu

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
Reset SMC and then boot into the OS. Go to the System Information and check the 'Power' under the Hardware tree. It should display the battery information. If you cannot see anything there, it means that the battery is 'Service Battery'. You need to get a new battery.

Holmes88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
I think that it clearly points to a disconnected (or not detected) battery. However just to be sure, open up the laptop and disconnect the battery (iFixit will be your guide). You don't need to remove it. Power on like that and see if there's any difference in the battery indicator. If not, then dust off the connector, plug the battery back in and try again.

Also, what does the battery indicator on the left of the laptop display when you press the button?

Regards
Raptor

The battery indicator blinks with the 8 green led lights in a flash for about a second or two. No steady hold on the led.

I have tried to disconnect the battery but I do not have a tri-wing screwdriver and I tried using a flat head but looked like it was going to strip them if I kept trying.

----------

$80 to get a test done? I have always set up a genius appointment and had it tested for free out of warranty. Do you have AppleCare? If so, you can get EVERYTHING done for free (except for gas)

No AppleCare left. It's free to set up a genius appointment and get a test??

----------

Reset SMC and then boot into the OS. Go to the System Information and check the 'Power' under the Hardware tree. It should display the battery information. If you cannot see anything there, it means that the battery is 'Service Battery'. You need to get a new battery.

Originally I had a 'Service Battery' warning thing up top, but it didn't say anything like dead battery or anything.

I have tried a SMC reset, but not sure what you mean by boot it into the OS?

Holmes88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
Well I have scheduled an appointment with an Apple store for tomorrow since they run a free test. So just decided to take a road trip before work. Hello 6 hour drive before work :(

Hopefully the test just comes back that it's the battery and I can get that replaced right away.

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Originally I had a 'Service Battery' warning thing up top, but it didn't say anything like dead battery or anything.

Then it sounds to me like it might just be the battery is completely shot. The service battery warning comes on for a couple different reasons, usually when the battery capacity is below 50% of the original capacity, but it can also indicate the battery is beginning to fail. Hopefully all that happened is the battery itself completely died and you just need a new one.

Genius bar appointments are free until they actually have to replace parts or work on the computer. While your 3 hour drive is a pain, they will be able to tell you exactly what is wrong. If it does have to be repaired and you need to let them take the computer, there are ways for them to ship it back to you. I did that a few times for the customer. Just politely explain to them your situation and hopefully they can work something out with you.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Well I have scheduled an appointment with an Apple store for tomorrow since they run a free test. So just decided to take a road trip before work. Hello 6 hour drive before work :(

Hopefully the test just comes back that it's the battery and I can get that replaced right away.

Well, it's either the battery or the battery connecter. In any case, you stand for a battery replacement, which you should get without any issue. I wish you a fruitful 6-hour-drive-before-work.

Regards
Raptor

Holmes88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
Just got back from the drag of a drive, but everything is working great now! :D
The battery was at 2% with only 400 cycles. They seemed kind of shocked by it, but paid the 130 for a battery and was in and out in 10min. Def worth the drive, and I have my computer back and don't need to have it plugged in to use it.
Thanks for everyone that replied in this thread! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.