Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today Apple sent out invitations to its October 22 media event, which is expected to focus on the fifth-generation iPad and the iPad mini 2. The event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, but as it did with the iPhone launch, Apple plans to stream the proceedings to a separate London satellite event that international media members have been invited to attend (via 9to5Mac).

For the iPhone event, Apple sent out invitations to media in Berlin, Tokyo, and Beijing, hosting satellite launches in each country. Each event featured a video stream of the announcement in Cupertino, and it is likely the London event, which begins at 6PM local time at the Kings Place hall, will be run in a similar manner.

oct_22_2013_invite.jpg

Along with the London stream, Apple is said to be setting up live streams for its employees to watch the event in Apple offices around the world, and the company will also offer a replay of the event on its website and iTunes after the event has concluded.

Apple did not provide a live stream of the September 10 iPhone event to employees, nor did the company provide an event stream for iOS devices and the Apple TV. In the past, however, Apple has streamed its events live to customers. For example, the 2012 iPad event was available via its website for Mac and iOS users, and there was a dedicated channel on the Apple TV. Apple also streamed its WWDC announcement to the Apple TV.

Apple has not yet announced plans to provide streaming coverage of the event to the general public for the upcoming October 22 event, but it is possible that live streaming will be available given the company's plan to provide feeds for employees.

Update: According to Gizmodo Japan [Google Translate], Apple will also be holding a gathering for members of the Japanese media.

Article Link: Apple to Hold Simultaneous Satellite Event in London for October iPad Unveilings

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Apple has been really nit-picky and restrictive LATELY about streaming their events....WHY APPLE? You used to do this all the time for the general public via online stream...and now NOTHING??? Really, Apple? Shows lack of care for their customers and fan base.

phillies262834

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Apple has been really nit-picky and restrictive LATELY about streaming their events....WHY APPLE? You used to do this all the time for the general public via online stream...and now NOTHING??? Really, Apple? Shows lack of care for their customers and fan base.
I believe that they have only streamed the September 2012, October 2012, and WWDC '13 events.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011

Yeap, total catastrophe.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
So there probably will be an iPad 5L coming? L for London or Lite? :cool:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
something big and unexpected coming?

highly doubt it. Apple's events have been pretty predictable.

iPad mini with Retina, faster processor, possibly 128GB option and possibly TouchID.

iPad 5th gen. with faster processor, redesigned enclosure and possibly TouchID.

new MacBook Pros/Mac minis with faster processors and better battery life.

information about Mavericks. Mac Pro price and release date.

can't imagine they'd say anything else...

kenosecon

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012

iPad mini with Retina, faster processor, possibly 128GB option and possibly TouchID.

ehm? isn't this big for you?...
what else do you want? a company like sony that makes everything but bad done?

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

Possible surprise, me thinks.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Why do they need a big huge event for a lame iPad iteration that did nothing but bump up the processor and get rid of the useful side bezels?

Lilleskotte

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
As long as we get some info on Mac Mini and/or 17" Macbook Pro's, I'm satisfied beyond measurements!

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

Why is that lacking in care exactly? Or is that an overly dramatic statement?

----------

Why do they need a big huge event for a lame iPad iteration that did nothing but bump up the processor and get rid of the useful side bezels?

Sales.

----------

ehm? isn't this big for you?...
what else do you want? a company like sony that makes everything but bad done?

I don't think anyone is arguing whether it is big or not... But it is entirely predicable.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Want live cover-age!

I think that there probably will be live streamed coverage in the end. If they are providing a satellite feed then the hard part of streaming out the same pictures and sound over the web is already mostly done.

I'm looking forward to the updated iPads and the new MacBook Pros!

The Banana

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
I actually don't mind just following keynotes with Macrumors updating what happens with live text and photos, actually love it :)

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I'm busy you know, at work, during the event anyway. Wouldn't be able to watch the live stream anyway. Bring on the podcast.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
It'll be interesting to see them launch a completely brand new product. This is hopeful but not likely.

I can only wish that the launch have a surplus in supply as the iPad 3 did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.