Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Hey Guys,

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.1.2 and jailbroken. I want to backup and restore only my SMS to a factory restored iPhone. Is there any way I can do it?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hey Guys,

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.1.2 and jailbroken. I want to backup and restore only my SMS to a factory restored iPhone. Is there any way I can do it?

As far as I'm aware of, you need to restore from an iTunes backup to get back texts (on a stock iOS device)

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Hey Guys,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I just got a replace iPhone and I want to restore my SMS without restoring all of my apps. I'm trying to "clean house" so to speak. lol

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Did you ever find a solution for this? I just got a replace iPhone and I want to restore my SMS without restoring all of my apps. I'm trying to "clean house" so to speak. lol

I am afraid there is no easy way around this. What I finally did was that I backed up app data manually to the computer. If any of your games doesnt use icloud sync then there is no way to back that up unless you do a restore form backup.

Then I deleted all the apps from my phone and then took an icloud backup. Now this is almost what i would have wanted. Ya having to manually install the apps would be a pain. But i wanted a clean install like system without losing the messages. And this is the closest I could got.

Hope it helps. :)

Dianner

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
There's an app called iphone backup extractor or something that lets you extract only what you want out of a phone backup. I've never used it but I've heard good things.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.