Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waffles100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
I was only able to find 1 other read asking about iPad minis and backpacks. I just got an iPad mini and I'm planning on bringing it with me to school which means it'll go in my backpack. Any recommendations on cases that would protect the mini from getting damaged in my backpack? I don't put heavy textbooks in my backpack if that information is relevant. I'd prefer to not spend more than $35 but if the case is really worth the money, then feel free to recommend it. Also for those of you who do put it in a backpack or bag do you place it in the back of your bag? Thanks!

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I'm using a Smart Cover and a Caudabe back protector shell. It's transported everyday in my Timbuk2 backpack. There's a small compartment in the back of the bag, closest to my back that it goes in. I don't have any books, but occasionally my work laptop is in there. It's a Lenovo W500, so there's some decent weight and size to it. No issues with the mini and no damage to it whatsoever. Got an authentic Smart Cover on eBay for under $20 and I think the back was around $15 on Amazon.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I have a very inexpensive portfolio-type case (Poetic Slimline, <$15), and feel my mini is very well protected for throwing into a bag.

JCPH

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
I'm very happy with my iPad case from Tom Bihn (the Cache). I believe they make an iPad Mini version, which should be under your price point. It provides good protection without being bulky. You can also get it in either vertical or horizontal orientations, so you can get one that'll work well with your existing bag.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The US company Twelve South make nice leather cases for iPad Minis - they are designed to look like an old leather book. Another US company, Saddleback, makes exceedingly rugged products, (also of indestructible leather), which include a case for iPads and iPad minis. And then, there is the company called Colonel Littleton (also US) which is also in the business of making high quality leather covers for iPads (and also for the iPad mini).

None of these are cheap, needless to say, but all are of excellent quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.