Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAnon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
I have a copy of Vista, and I also have an Upgrade Edition of Windows 7 Ultimate.

It would be a pity to waste the Vista license just so I can use Windows 7 in Bootcamp, and I want to avoid it if necessary.

I have a previous copy of Windows, so this isn't against the forum rules is it? If it is, mods then close this thread!

I've heard of clean installs with the upgrade disc and modifying the registry key OOBEInstall, but how would I go about doing this through Bootcamp?

Apparently another method involves not entering a product key, and then installing Windows on top of itself again with a product key, then it upgrades from itself? Is this possible in Bootcamp?

Previously all you had to do was insert the old OS disc and the upgrade disc would work!

PS: My MacBook Pro Early 2011 with Lion & Bootcamp 4.0 doesn't support Vista, so I can't put that on anyway!

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
  1. Download Official Windows 7 SP1 x64 ISO (This way you don't have to waste half an hour upgrading to SP1 after the install)
  2. Burn ISO to DVD or Make Thumb Drive
  3. Run Boot Camp Assistant
  4. Install Windows 7
  5. Go through the Windows 7 User setup wizard and click "Skip" on the Product Key entry dialog
  6. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit.exe" and press Enter
  7. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/"
  8. Double click "MediaBootInstall" and change it from "1" to "0"
  9. Close Regedit
  10. In the Start Menu search box type "cmd" then Right click on the result and choose "Run as administrator"
  11. In the now open Command Prompt type "slmgr /rearm" (and wait for it to finish)
  12. Restart
  13. In the Start Menu search box type "activate" and press Enter
  14. Follow the wizard and enter your Product Key to activate
  15. Install Boot Camp Driver Package
  16. Run Apple Software Update until there are no updates left
  17. Run Windows Update until there are no updates left
  18. Run Disk Defragmenter Once (skip this step if you have a SSD)
  19. Restart

Last edited:

MrAnon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks!

OK, thanks for that Quad5Ny!

Sounds great - I'll have a go later!

:D:cool:

MrAnon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Working 100%

1. Download Official Windows 7 SP1 x64 ISO (This way you don't have to waste half an hour upgrading to SP1 after the install)
  4. Install Windows 7
  5. Go through the Windows 7 User setup wizard and click "Skip" on the Product Key entry dialog
  7. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/"
  9. Close Regedit
  10. In the Start Menu search box type "cmd" then Right click on the result and choose "Run as administrator"
  11. In the now open Command Prompt type "slmgr /rearm" (and wait for it to finish)
  12. Restart
  19. Restart

Works like a charm - activated perfectly!

Cheers Quad5Ny!!! :D

jlrathke

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
This is my question exactly, except I have an original copy of XP that isn't used anymore and an upgrade of Win7 Ultimate that is no longer used. I didn't want to install xp (old, no service packs) then upgrade. I'm downloading the file from DR right now...hope it works.

Jerry

jlrathke

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
This worked perfectly for me as well. Simple, yet effective. How about making it a sticky?

Jerry

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Install the boot camp driver package and restart first (after step 12). That way your network adapters are working.

Or you can activate over the phone.

makonl

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
  4. Install Windows 7
  9. Close Regedit
  12. Restart
  19. Restart

That is one elegant solution!
Thanks for bringing a frustrating few hours to a successful conclusion.

eo19

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
  4. Install Windows 7
  9. Close Regedit
  12. Restart
  19. Restart

Where do I run the Apple software update, #16?

I believe I need to run the disk defragmenter per number 18. I just bought an iMac.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Where do I run the Apple software update, #16?

I believe I need to run the disk defragmenter per number 18. I just bought an iMac.

Should be in the Programs menu in the start menu after you install and restart. And yes, run the defragmenter because you probably have a regular hard drive. Try downloading Auslogics. It's a freeware disk defragmenter that I've had slightly better luck with compared to the built-in one.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
  4. Install Windows 7
  9. Close Regedit
  12. Restart
  19. Restart

I just did a custom install the first time and then did the upgrade the second and Windows activated without a problem. Did not have to use the command prompt at all.

eo19

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I did finish it up. It worked like a charm. Sure am glad I didn't buy a new full version!

I was then able to install my RealFlight 6 simulator!!!!

alex-n

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
  4. Install Windows 7
  9. Close Regedit
  12. Restart
  19. Restart

I burned the .iso from that link to a DVD but bootcamp still claims "the installer disc could not be found." What gives?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I just did a custom install the first time and then did the upgrade the second and Windows activated without a problem. Did not have to use the command prompt at all.

Yeah that's another proven method. The method mentioned above simply tricks windows into thinking that the upgrade was started from within Windows instead of booting from a disk. So basically by installing first you're having windows do the registry edits for you :)

bearsloft

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Much Thanks

Just wanted to say many thanks for posting the instructions on how to use the upgrade disc for a clean install. I just used it to install Win 7 on my new iMac with it's shiny new 3TB drive (now that said drive is supported).

Thanks.

Bear

brent.hp

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
I am having difficulty with step 10. When I right click on "cmd", I do not get "run as administrator" as an option. The last line is C:\Users\Brent>. We just got the MacBook Pro and I am the only user.

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I am having difficulty with step 10. When I right click on "cmd", I do not get "run as administrator" as an option. The last line is C:\Users\Brent>. We just got the MacBook Pro and I am the only user.

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Go into the start menu, all programs, accessories, then right click on command prompt and select "run as administrator."

jcox1214

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
  4. Install Windows 7
  9. Close Regedit
  12. Restart
  19. Restart

Should this method work on my MBP? It's a mid-2010 model. I just want to double check before I try it because I've set out to try other things without covering all my bases more than once..

Also, does this method work regardless of if I use a disc or an ISO? Given my model, creating an ISO through Boot Camp 5 is not an option. Perhaps, this isn't the only way, though. I've created disk images on a flash drive before.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Also, does this method work regardless of if I use a disc or an ISO? Given my model, creating an ISO through Boot Camp 5 is not an option. Perhaps, this isn't the only way, though. I've created disk images on a flash drive before.

In general, this method will work regardless of the media used. However, in the case of a recent MacBook Pro with a built-in SuperDrive, you need to use that in order to install Windows (yes, there are workarounds if you don't want to use a DVD but they are time consuming and results are not guaranteed). Take the downloaded .iso and burn it to disc using the ISO 9660 format versus UDF.

hodda

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Hi old thread reinvigorated recently but im trying to do this as well - I have a win 7 retail upgrade with key but DL the link with SP1 etc so have got the ISO of the upgrade on a USB, start bootcamp assistant and it starts to install and gets to the first screen setup ie the default or custom etc

if I choose default installation: it states that the bootcamp partition 4 cannot be installed to / upgraded to as it is not NTFS formatted

If I choose custom it states something like "you have started installation with disc, remove disc, close down and then try again bla de bla" but if I do this it goes to black screen "no bootable disk"

Anyone know what to do? Apologies can follow instructions but this has stumped me as not massively tech savvy!

I was such a dumbass, already had a few beers by this time last night, forgot I had to instruct a format of the partition!! - anyway sorted now by following this and all done - brill!

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Should this method work on my MBP? It's a mid-2010 model. I just want to double check before I try it because I've set out to try other things without covering all my bases more than once..

Yeah it works regardless. The only thing that this method does is make windows think that you triggered the "upgrade" from windows rather than booting from the disk directly.

ajhard

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I have exactly the same situation but with a Win 8 upgrade licence and previous copy of both Win 7 (32bit) and Win XP - what should I do?

Is it the same as above but using a Win 8 ISO - if so how do I get that?

Cheers

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I have exactly the same situation but with a Win 8 upgrade licence and previous copy of both Win 7 (32bit) and Win XP - what should I do?

Is it the same as above but using a Win 8 ISO - if so how do I get that?
Since you have a valid Windows 8 product key, you have to use a computer running Windows 64-bit (or 32-bit) to download a copy of Win 8 64-bit (or 32-bit) ISO as explained in this guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.