Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
bad-ass-cookie-galaxy-oreo-cookie-yum-Favim.com-231797.gif

Researchers at Connecticut College have found evidence that proves that Oreo cookies—at least for lab rats—are as addictive as cocaine.

Neuroscience senior Jamie Honohan devised the study in order to research the impact of high-fat and high-sugar foods in low-income neighborhoods:

“My research interests stemmed from a curiosity for studying human behavior and our motivations when it comes to food,” said Honohan. “We chose Oreos not only because they are America’s favorite cookie, and highly palatable to rats, but also because products containing high amounts of fat and sugar are heavily marketed in communities with lower socioeconomic statuses.”

To carry out the study, Honohan and two other students devised a maze. On one side of the maze, hungry rats would find an Oreo. On the other side, hungry rats would find (groan) rice cakes. Unsurprisingly, all the rats gravitated toward the Oreo, and like all cultured creatures, they would “
break it open and eat the middle first.”

The researchers compared the results of their study to a similar study in which rats were either given a shot of cocaine or morphine on one side of the maze or a shot of saline on the other. It turns out that the rats conditioned with Oreos spent as much time on the “drug” side of the maze as those who were conditioned with actual drugs.

Even more worrisome, the researchers found that the Oreos “activated significantly more neurons than cocaine or morphine.” So basically, if you give a mouse a cookie, who knows what the **** he'll ask for next. He might ask for some coke, but he'll definitely want more cookies.

In conclusion, junk food is incredibly addictive, Oreos are delicious, and that other side of the maze sounds like a terrible place to be.

gawker

Cocaine is less fattening though!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
This is completely fatuous:
The researchers compared the results of their study to a similar study in which rats were either given a shot of cocaine or morphine on one side of the maze or a shot of saline on the other. It turns out that the rats conditioned with Oreos spent as much time on the “drug” side of the maze as those who were conditioned with actual drugs.
There was no comparison made between Oros and cocaine in rats, only a comparison between two radically different studies. Rats also prefer dark places over well-lit ones. So using the same logic, darkness is as addictive as cocaine.

My thanks go to the widely respected and credible science journal, gawker.com, for bringing this exhaustive and conclusive study to everyone's attention. Clearly, their long history of unbiased and informed reporting has come through again.

/s

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Crap, Oreo's are only my favorite cookie, and when I get a bag in front of me big or small, those bad boys better watch out. Especially if I have a tall glass of ice cold milk in front of me.

Don't like the double stuff one's to much though. To much of a good thing.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
My thanks go to the widely respected and credible science journal, gawker.com, for bringing this exhaustive and conclusive study to everyone's attention. Clearly, their long history of unbiased and informed reporting has come through again.

/s

Here is cbs news if you need other news outlets..

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Here is cbs news if you need other news outlets..

But when the study is picked up by major media outlets throughout the country, it can do real damage, according to Carl Erickson, director of the University of Texas' Addiction Science Research and Education Center.

"I think that a study like this can be devastating with respect to public understanding of what addiction is and what it's not," Erickson said. "First of all, there's no science behind food being addicting in spite of what general public feels. Reporters often publish this sensationalism trying to get people to think you can be addicted to lingerie, to food, to a cell phone, to the tanning booth."

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Double Stuffed Golden Oreos. I will tell you, they make me happy when my body does its monthly "Ohhhh I'm gonna hurt you reaaal good" thing.

AKA: Shark Week....

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think anything that is packaged in potato chip like bags can be addicting. And in my opinion, it's because of the way we eat things that come from a bag.

Because when you sit down and have some lunch, you're usually focused on the specific food you're eating, like a steak, hamburger, etc.

When you're sitting in front of the TV, or doing some work, and you have a bag of popcorn, potato chips, cookies, you're usually just snacking and giving enough time for your body to digest all 50 pieces of those servings and by the time you're done, it's like you didn't eat anything at all, so you go for some more.

I actually started snacking on carrots instead for that reason. Still eat the same amount of them as I would chips, but it's healthier.

Oreos are my least favorite cookies. I'll have them with milk, but otherwise I don't care for them very much, never have. I'm very picky with the types of chocolate I eat.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Last edited:

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
So I am immune to both because I have no addiction and I just do not care about them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.