Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Might I be so frank as to suggest maybe the moderator could make them stick together, or is that too bold. :confused:

IMHO, that would be a massive undertaking. There are so many and many of the same people posted in different threads. If there were only two or three threads, but the number of these SSD failure threads is colossal, I certainly would not want to try and edit and combine so many threads!

Lou

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
For me, my MBA isn't even 6 months old and it has a Toshitta (Toshiba) SSD which I despise. I've repaired many toshitta laptops from the Vista era with failed hard drives.

I sent it in to Apple and that took a week because the part was "on order." My read/write speeds were crap on the original SSD but the new one seems to be much faster.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Glad you got it replaced! What brand of SSD is your new one?

This is a REAL problem Apple needs to address NOW rather than Later!!!!!!

Lou

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
^^^^Glad you got it replaced! What brand of SSD is your new one?

This is a REAL problem Apple needs to address NOW rather than Later!!!!!!

Lou

Another Toshitta -_-

Just hope it doesn't fail. I'm sure it will at some point so if it does happen I have Time Machine backups in case all was bad. What I'll most likely do is in the future buy a 256GB one from OWC and just replace it once I'm out of warranty.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^WOW It amazes me, that with all these failures Apple is still using these crappy SSDs as replacements:eek: What can they be thinking:confused: I don't believe they are used anymore in the 2013 models.

Lou

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
^^^^WOW It amazes me, that with all these failures Apple is still using these crappy SSDs as replacements:eek: What can they be thinking:confused: I don't believe they are used anymore in the 2013 models.

Lou

who knows what they're thinking over there in cuppertino.

erkovich

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
Mine failed too

Right now I'm running OS X from a Mybook studio HD. My SSD crashed 2 weeks ago, bought my Air in october 2012, so it didn't even make it through the first year. Craptastic.

I think there was a little more fan noise than usual the last few weeks, before the final freeze followed by the famous question mark folder.

Is there a way to find out what brand the SSD is, without opening the computer? Is it written on the box?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Only way I know, is software related - and you can't do that anymore. No it's not identified on any documentation, packaging materials or by exploring the SN of the machine.

Lou

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there a way to find out what brand the SSD is, without opening the computer? Is it written on the box?

I believe all the 128GB models were Toshiba. If you look in System Report the flash drive model was shown as TS... something or other (I'm going from memory).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^From an earlier post:

Yes! Look at System Information, under Storage - If the entry for APPLE SSD is followed by SM, then it's the Samsung, if it's followed by TS then it's the Toshiba, if it's followed by SD then it's a SanDisk.

Lou

Lou

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well, I can't find any info but yeah I have the 128GB.

Click the Apple at the top left then About this Mac then More info then System Report. Now under the hardware section click on the storage entry and it should look something like this. This is from my 2013 MBA, so it may look a bit different. That SM in mine indicates Samsung and a TS would be Toshiba.

4mWWGHL.png

noneother

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
My 128GB 2012 MBA purchased in June 2012 just died on me today... SAME issue.. Can't see it in utility... $280 out the door to get it fixed... Definitely a trend.... I had freaking AppleCare on my iPhone 4S.. That was never used.. Didn't get it on the MBA... All the bad choices...

Not pleased... Of course I'm also that guy who doesn't back up.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Mine is SSD TS128C, and my model is a MBA 2010 which I bought in October 2011. So far it has not failed yet. Over two years now and I have applecare. Should I be mentally prepared for eventual failure?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Mine is SSD TS128C, and my model is a MBA 2010 which I bought in October 2011. So far it has not failed yet. Over two years now and I have applecare. Should I be mentally prepared for eventual failure?

The early death seems to be happening more with the 2012 Air models. Of course you should backup anyway, but your model does not use the same flash storage device being discussed here.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
The early death seems to be happening more with the 2012 Air models. Of course you should backup anyway, but your model does not use the same flash storage device being discussed here.

Thank you. Good to know.

fathedgehog

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Ts128e

If it helps, this is on my MB Air mid-2012 with 128GB SSD made by Toshiba.

Before update:
APPLE SSD TS128E
Revision: TPVABBF0

After update:
Revision: TQAABBF0

I had the "scary nothing happened until I pressed power button", but it's fine.

Tried running the update a second time, and it says "This computer does not need this update"

Hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.