Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last December, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in response to a challenge preliminarily invalidated the so-called "Steve Jobs patent", a massive 364-page patent with 293 pages of drawings dating back to September 2006 and covering many details of the original iPhone. Steve Jobs is listed as the first of over two dozen inventors on the patent, and it is considered perhaps the most famous of his over 300 credited patents.

steve_jobs_patent_with_figure.jpg
But as noted by FOSS Patents, the USPTO has now completed its reexamination of the patent and ruled that all twenty claims have been confirmed as patentable, significantly strengthening a patent that has been used against several of Apple's competitors in court.
As we speak, the Steve Jobs patent is even stronger than it was before someone (presumably Samsung and Google) challenged it anonymously. On September 4, 2013, the USPTO issued a reexamination certificate confirming the patentability of all 20 claims because the prior art neither anticipated this invention nor renders it obvious.
A number of Apple's key patents have been challenged for reexamination as its competitors have sought to derail Apple's claims against them in various court battles. While the USPTO has issued preliminary "first office actions" invalidating those patents in some cases, Apple has been successful in arguing its case and ultimately restoring the validity of at least the most important claims of those patents. In an example from earlier this year, a key claim of Apple's "rubber banding" patent used against Samsung was confirmed after having been preliminary invalidated last year.

Article Link: Apple's Massive 'Steve Jobs Patent' for the iPhone Reconfirmed in its Entirety

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Looking back at it all, the iPhone is so incredible. Even the first one from almost 7 years ago still blows my mind. I'm glad that I've been alive to see this kind of stuff.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Nice, not sure what it really means, but seems pretty awesome that it was restored in full.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Scott Forstall is the #2 listed inventor. I know it sounds conspiracy nutty but I still think Scott wasn't 'forced out' but strategically put out for a 'time in the wilderness' so he can return later (if Apple gets off track, like in the 90's) as Steve Jobs #2, returning to fix the mess.

Or if they don't go off track, they are fine. They just have a plan either way.

I know. Nutty.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Scott Forstall is the #2 listed inventor. I know it sounds conspiracy nutty but I still think Scott wasn't 'forced out' but strategically put out for a 'time in the wilderness' so he can return later (if Apple gets off track, like in the 90's) as Steve Jobs #2, returning to fix the mess.

I know. Nutty.

LOL, love your post. Might be time for you to have your coffee. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm assuming this is not the bounce back/rubber banding patent but something different?

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
This is like Star Wars. We watched episodes IV - VI. And now we will see I - III.

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
This doesn't make the patent "stronger," so it may be best to correct that error. But it is a strategic victory for sure.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
What it means:

Android isn't and won't continue being "free".

(MS, Nokia, and Apple and others have lots of non-SEP iP that is being/could be licensed or otherwise give a better experience on MS/Nokia and Apple)

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007

I know. Nutty.

Ive is the new Steve

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
7 years? Wow...glad its finally over and a decision was made in favor of the true innovators here. :)

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007

I know. Nutty.

The order of inventorship is irrelevant.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009

I know. Nutty.

Nope. Forstall was a trouble-maker whose screw ups started to outweigh his contributions. I really doubt he's on any list, short or long, to return for any position, much less CEO.

----------

So now the patent is definitely valid until the patent office declares that it's not. It's got to be maddening to companies to never know if what they are building is protected or not. We're almost seven years in and we are still arguing about whether the iPhone is a unique device.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Nope. Forstall was a trouble-maker whose screw ups started to outweigh his contributions. I really doubt he's on any list, short or long, to return for any position, much less CEO.

----------

So now the patent is definitely valid until the patent office declares that it's not. It's got to be maddening to companies to never know if what they are building is protected or not. We're almost seven years in and we are still arguing about whether the iPhone is a unique device.

Since it's all about money, they'll eventually all cross license each others patents and be done!

It just takes enough legal money to look wasted to get that done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.