Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
- Still beats the crap out of Apple Maps.

I live in a major UK city, almost city center and the info/satellite image of Google dates 5 years back (can still see places/buildings that have not existed for the last few years)

So **** that! 1 year old Apple maps beat's the crap out of it for me.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I use google maps and I have not had a issues with it. On the other hand I had many issues with apple map. Apple map send me the wrong way or the place did not exists.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I live in a major UK city, almost city center and the info/satellite image of Google dates 5 years back (can still see places/buildings that have not existed for the last few years)

Come to Australia and try and use Apple Maps, I can guarantee it will lead you astray many a time.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I've removed google from my iPhone and iPad now Apple mapping has improved.
As Apple builds it's ISO system I'm finding I can remove other apps which makes for a lot easier use of the iPhone etc:cool:

----------

Come to Australia and try and use Apple Maps, I can guarantee it will lead you astray many a time.

It's not just Apple maps as TomTom and Garmin both have problems in Australia. The company which supplies the Australian government maps to these companies must have a lot of faults. I know this as we have tried all these while we are in Australia.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
- Still takes forever to start up
- Still no access to contacts
- Still no iOS7 support
- Voice directions still getting cut off

Apple Maps inability to scroll or zoom in or out of the map while navigating trumps every one of those Google issues, IMO. (personally I've not had an issue with Voice directions getting cut off and don't really care about iOS7 "support" whatever that means).

Last edited:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Google makes more money off iOS then Android...

Old news, that was kicking around before IOS 6 and Apple Maps took over.

Google's deal with Apple, in place since the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, through which it provides maps and the default search engine for its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch products, which run Apple's iOS software.

My comment still stands.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
2 seconds on an iPhone 5 from cold start to finding where I am for me. That's what you consider forever? It's probably 1 on a 5S.

I'll agree that it needs to ask for contacts use. That's the only gripe I have since they fixed the screen dimming bug? some random update ago.

it could be his cellular provider, depending on where I am at, my AT&T service will take minutes before it can draw up the map, at my home and work, I get very fast cellular service and takes about 2-3 seconds for the map to draw up.

it is google's fault for not providing 4G service nationwide!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

You don't think the fact that Apple Maps doesn't know where anywhere in Manchester actually is is a bit more of an issue?

I'm not really sure a maps app that only works as a giant jpeg from space is actually a typical use scenario.

admmasters

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
London
I don't get it. Why should google care about iOS 7's design elements, or iOS 7? They have more users on Android (their own operating system) and they have a more unique, and in my opinion better design than iOS 7. They have no reason to meet all your selfish needs haha

I think you are on the wrong forum, mate. Get back to the Android hangout and enjoy the lag.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I think Apple Maps are fine.

But the biggest reason I continue to use Google Maps on my iPhone is because I can search for stuff on my computer and my phone can access that history.

Planning a trip? I can star all the locations on my computer and my phone can see them.

In fact... anything I Google-search will show up in that history too.

It's nice when your maps app knows the last few places you've searched recently on your computer.
+1. Perhaps once Apple releases a desktop version of Maps, similar synchronization will be possible there too. I would also add live traffic conditions and public transit info as two other big reasons why I prefer Google maps. I don't really care about the ios 7 style update. I don't have major complaints about Apple Maps but it just lacks the features I want. Both Apple maps and Google maps are fairly accurate around Toronto and I can't say one wins over the other in terms of accuracy. Both have their misses too. for example when I search for "Costco" in Apple Maps while in downtown Toronto it always shows some place downtown which is many miles away from the nearest Costco location. I reported it several months back but nothing has changed. Then again, when I reported a mistake in Google Maps with some address in Waterloo showing on a wrong street I actually heard back from google saying that I was right and they fixed the error but in fact it still shows the address on the wrong street.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
+1. Perhaps once Apple releases a desktop version of Maps, similar synchronization will be possible there too. I would also add live traffic conditions and public transit info as two other big reasons why I prefer Google maps. I don't really care about the ios 7 style update. I don't have major complaints about Apple Maps but it just lacks the features I want. Both Apple maps and Google maps are fairly accurate around Toronto and I can't say one wins over the other in terms of accuracy. Both have their misses too. for example when I search for "Costco" in Apple Maps while in downtown Toronto it always shows some place downtown which is many miles away from the nearest Costco location. I reported it several months back but nothing has changed. Then again, when I reported a mistake in Google Maps with some address in Waterloo showing on a wrong street I actually heard back from google saying that I was right and they fixed the error but in fact it still shows the address on the wrong street.

Apple thinks there are two Walmarts in my town (there is only one)

I don't even know how Apple got that mysterious 2nd address. That location is actually an old factory turned indoor go-kart track.

There was an old Walmart near that 2nd address... but that was over 15 years ago.

It makes me wonder where Apple gets its POI information. There isn't a document anywhere in the world that would list a Walmart at that particular address.

Apple somehow got the one Walmart address correct... so where did they get the other address?

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Apple thinks there are two Walmarts in my town (there is only one)

I don't even know how Apple got that mysterious 2nd address. That location is actually an old factory turned indoor go-kart track.

There was an old Walmart near that 2nd address... but that was over 15 years ago.

It makes me wonder where Apple gets its POI information. There isn't a document anywhere in the world that would list a Walmart at that particular address.

Apple somehow got the one Walmart address correct... so where did they get the other address?
I'm not sure where Google and Apple get their POI data. I do recall seeing articles discussing the question and so this might be known. They certainly get it from different sources. when I compare their POI data in Toronto it's often very different. neither one is close to being complete but combined they would do ok, lol. But I'm not sure if placing a second Walmart in your town or Costco in downtown Toronto is just a question of bad POI data. These things are so badly off that it might be something else.
For example, the bad Costco location only shows up if I do a search for "Costco". If I search for "Costco Toronto" it shows the correct location.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
You do realise that a free app on IOS probably isn't the highest item on Googles list of priorities, right?

Well, since pretty much on Google is free, and it is monetised by having a large amount of users, then... not sure what you mean.

----------

I think you are on the wrong forum, mate. Get back to the Android hangout and enjoy the lag.

Don't get angry with him. Probable he wrote that message 3 months ago. His laggy android device only now delivered it..

----------

- Still the one iphone app I couldn't live without, so thank you Google!

I find annoying that google maps doesn't have a history section, with old searches. I might be wrong thou (I haven't used it for a while).

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
You don't think the fact that Apple Maps doesn't know where anywhere in Manchester actually is is a bit more of an issue?

I been using it in Manchester for over a year and from my experience it knows very well where everything is, many times better then almost a decade old google maps! So with all due respect I have no idea what on earth are you talking about?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Wow, even in this thread, Apple apologists appear to be fully engaged. I'm starting to think that if Apple put a steaming turd in a white box and smacked their logo on it, a few of you might buy that, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.