Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Could anyone elaborate on this application/process? I see it in my Activity Monitor, and I have no idea what it is. I have Googled high and low, only to come here knowing less.

Does everyone have this application? For me it is located in MacHD>Library>ImageCapture>Support

If so is it in your Active Processes?

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
I do have this application. As far as it being in my active processes, no.

The attached photo has an explanation of what Image Capture is.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 4,101

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Thread revival!

For some reason in Yosemite this extension goes crazy for me. I often find it taking up over 3 GB of RAM, even when Image Capture / iPhoto / Aperture aren't open. Kinda annoying, considering my MBP only has 8 GB of RAM in total.

dfbills

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
Thread revival!

For some reason in Yosemite this extension goes crazy for me. I often find it taking up over 3 GB of RAM, even when Image Capture / iPhoto / Aperture aren't open. Kinda annoying, considering my MBP only has 8 GB of RAM in total.

I'm seeing the same thing. Mine reads 7.81GB currently.

jccrtv

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
Image Capture Extension and Memory

Mine too, in Yosemite my new mac pro with 64 Gig of Mem was "out of memory" this morning. It was Image Capture Extension. Annoying.

sentient

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Having the same problem since upgrading to Yosemite.

Activity Monitor showing Image Capture Extension using 3GB of memory.

dvand

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Same Issue - Image capture extension at 64GM

Image Capture is taking 65GB virtual at this point - and I am not using it except for PhoneView where I have cut off the storing of images into iphoto, so iphoto is supposed to be disabled.

Kirby Krieger

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Piling on ...

I'm seeing similar: Image Capture Extension is taking 5.42 GB of 16 GB RAM (as reported by Activity Monitor). Performance is slower than usual. OS 10.10.

ajmichels

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
I am also having this issue on my 2013 Macbook Pro Retina. I don't think it started happening until I opened the Skype Audio/Video preferences to review how my video was going to look. I don't think Skype is the issue but this was the first time I have used the camera on my Mac since updating to Yosemite.

Joey-John

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
NZ
Thread revival!

I currently have this app taking up 4.5 GB RAM. Nothing else (bar Firefox) open. I think I read somewhere else on line that there were issues with false info in activity monitor in Yosemite- however this reading coupled with very slow performance makes me want to find the cause. When I do open video editing applications and esp after connecting a second display for editing (1920 x 1080) everything grinds to a near halt.

:(

Any solutions to this yet? Any suggestions? I have ordered 16GB RAM. Found a post that said my MBP could take 16 GB with new OS.

Thanks in advance.

MBP 13 inch 2.66GHz DUO, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD

Joey-John

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
NZ
I currently have this app taking up 4.5 GB RAM. Nothing else (bar Firefox) open. I think I read somewhere else on line that there were issues with false info in activity monitor in Yosemite- however this reading coupled with very slow performance makes me want to find the cause. When I do open video editing applications and esp after connecting a second display for editing (1920 x 1080) everything grinds to a near halt.

:(

Any solutions to this yet? Any suggestions? I have ordered 16GB RAM. Found a post that said my MBP could take 16 GB with new OS.

Thanks in advance.

MBP 13 inch 2.66GHz DUO, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD

UPDATE:

I reset the PRAM (shutdown, turn on then hold : Option + Command + P+ R before the gray screen appears and it then restarts again) and it got rid of the image capture.

I then plugged in my gopro and the gopro import softwear started up and image capture started up again. I killed the import and have now deleted the application - the gopro app. It was crappy anyway. :) The image capture application is not currently hogging any of my memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.