Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javtrincoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
CT
Hey All (sorry if I posted in the wrong section),

I was wondering what some other institutions use in terms of imaging their hardware and apple releasing later builds of that hardware which require new images?
EX: We order Apple hardware frequently and our latest iMac image was made on a 10.8.3 late 2012 iMac. We just received a new shipment of late 2013 iMacs and now I have to go and create a whole new image since the old one won't work on this machine.

Is there a more efficient way of creating images/updating them without having to start from scratch each time they release a new major build? I know the OSX server has the ability to create/restore images but does it allow you to update certain aspects of an image (let's say just update the version from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5)?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hey All (sorry if I posted in the wrong section),

I was wondering what some other institutions use in terms of imaging their hardware and apple releasing later builds of that hardware which require new images?
EX: We order Apple hardware frequently and our latest iMac image was made on a 10.8.3 late 2012 iMac. We just received a new shipment of late 2013 iMacs and now I have to go and create a whole new image since the old one won't work on this machine.

Is there a more efficient way of creating images/updating them without having to start from scratch each time they release a new major build? I know the OSX server has the ability to create/restore images but does it allow you to update certain aspects of an image (let's say just update the version from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5)?

Are you using the server version of OS X, it's designed for distributing images over networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.