Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoobey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
So, I have a 2009 macPro and it is getting really slugish and hoging my hard drives, as I have 6gb of RAM, but that is obviously not enough for my 16bit 20-80mpix Photoshop PSD files.

I know it's a lack of ram, as it works perfectly when I edit at 8bit, or smaller resolution files(I checked the Appication monitor).

HOW DO I EXPAND THIS RAM???

I have no idea what modules work for my Mac? And all the info around the forums I've found links to manufacturers I don't have at my disposal. Is it any DDR3? But what if it's a t 2000+mhz? Will it still work at lower speeds that my computer supports?

Could I just add a 16gb into an empty slot? Or, do I need to sell of my existing ram? (I only have the budget for 16gb, be it in a single module or 2x8gb)?:eek:

Also, I live in an isolated country, so I can't order anything online(shipping and customs would add 100% to the price).:confused:

Could these work?

KINGSTON
16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3 HyperX Beast KHX24C11T3K2/16X

KINGSTON
16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 HyperX Predator KHX18C9T2K2/16X

KINGSTON
16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 KHX16C9T3K2/16X

I also have an option for IBM and HP, but I'd rather avoid them if possible, especially HP.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
So, I have a 2009 macPro and it is getting really slugish and hoging my hard drives, as I have 6gb of RAM, but that is obviously not enough for my 16bit 20-80mpix Photoshop PSD files.

I know it's a lack of ram, as it works perfectly when I edit at 8bit, or smaller resolution files(I checked the Appication monitor).

I have no idea what modules work for my Mac? And all the info around the forums I've found links to manufacturers I don't have at my disposal. Is it any DDR3? But what if it's a t 2000+mhz? Will it still work at lower speeds that my computer supports?

Could I just add a 16gb into an empty slot? Or, do I need to sell of my existing ram? (I only have the budget for 16gb, be it in a single module or 2x8gb)?:eek:

Also, I live in an isolated country, so I can't order anything online(shipping and customs would add 100% to the price).:confused:

Could these work?

KINGSTON
16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3 HyperX Beast KHX24C11T3K2/16X

KINGSTON
16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 HyperX Predator KHX18C9T2K2/16X

KINGSTON

I also have an option for IBM and HP, but I'd rather avoid them if possible, especially HP.

While I have seen posts with people putting in the non-ECC PC ram and it working your MP uses ECC ram at 1066mhz, it is probably best to get them to ensure compatibility. And yes the theory is that higher speed ram will work it is supposed to drop its speed to what the machine requests it to run at however sometimes if you mix higher speed modules with lower it will screw up the boot process.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States

It might be prudent to play it safe and just buy a new set of Ram. OWC sells ram that is guaranteed to be compatible with the 2009 Mac Pro. You could buy 3 dimms (to utilize your triple channel memory) at 4 or 8 GBs per dimm giving you 12 or 24GB or ram.

Everything will be more likely to work well if you have a matching set of ram modules: Same size, same manufacturer.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
KINGSTON

I'd buy this, use it on its own and you should be okay. Just return it if it doesn't work. It should just down clock to 1066MHz. IBM and HP RAM is just the same RAM you get from Apple. If you can get 1066Mhz or 1333MHz cheaper get that.

skoobey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
KINGSTON

I'd buy this, use it on its own and you should be okay. Just return it if it doesn't work. It should just down clock to 1066MHz. IBM and HP RAM is just the same RAM you get from Apple. If you can get 1066Mhz or 1333MHz cheaper get that.

Oooh, it's about ECC, I'll check which of those has ECC... if any... In the meantime I found this, but it says it's for IBM? Lol:D

I don't want it to mess up my computer.

At it's price, I could get 3 of these, and if they work well and all, sell my 3x2gb and have enough memory to last me for quite some time.

KINGSTON
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Reg for IBM Desktop

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It might be prudent to play it safe and just buy a new set of Ram. OWC sells ram that is guaranteed to be compatible with the 2009 Mac Pro. You could buy 3 dimms (to utilize your triple channel memory) at 4 or 8 GBs per dimm giving you 12 or 24GB or ram.

Everything will be more likely to work well if you have a matching set of ram modules: Same size, same manufacturer.

Earlier in the year, I installed three 8 GB dimms for a total of 24GB in my 2009 Mac Pro and I bought them from OWC (Other World Computing - MacSales.com). It's very simple to install the RAM and I can recommend buying from OWC.

Note - For the quad core (single processor) 2009 Mac Pro, they recommend using 3 dimms (not the forth). As mentioned, they also recommend matching (same size / manufacturer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.