Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
What? It's always worked for me.

I'd say that USAA is the absolute best in terms of their web and app, but I'm not sure why you can't deposit checks.

My second favorite is Bank of America.

Same here (second generation member, non-military). I don't think I've ever actually tried to use the app-based MobileDeposit, but it works like a champ via the website (plus scanner).

I love the USAA app. I wish the budgeting tools were a bit more robust, as I could probably drop my monthly budget app and go 100% USAA. But the ability to manage accounts (USAA and non-USAA), transfer between accounts, pay bills, etc. all from the phone are incredibly simple.

I'm excited to see what they do for iOS 7. :cool:

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I haven't had a bank account in over a decade. Don't know why anyone uses them anymore with all their ridiculous fees that they need to charge to pay for all their retail locations and the overhead that comes with that.

I have three different accounts: Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard. I use Fidelity for my retirement accounts, Vanguard for my savings accounts (I make passive investments into their index funds), and Schwab is where I do my "banking". With Schwab I get a debit card that has zero transaction fees - Schwab covers all charges I get from ATM machines.

All three have great iOS apps and I have linked up all three accounts so I can easily transfer money between them. All three of them have mobile photo check depositing.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
One of my banks app is atrocious and I just use the webpage.
The other one is good, but they went overboard w/ skeus instead of more functions. Is good, but not amazing.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I use Chase, Wells Fargo, and American Express. I can't speak for the others, but Chase is my favorite.

What I like most is transactions are posted immediately. If I'm at a restaurant, and give the server my card, within 10-15 seconds of the server swiping it I get an instant notification that I've had a charge on my account.

American Express would be my next favorite.

Wells Fargo is my least favorite, can't stand it. It's just a mobile site within an app. Doesn't feel like a native app at all compared to chase and American Express.

Yeah, I actually use WF for my business account, and I do use their mobile deposit which is nice. However, I hate having to log in every time I use it. Like someone else said, it's basically a mobile site wrapped in an app. Now that I have the Touch ID stuff, I want to be logged in always so I don't have to log in again once I'm through the fingerprint stuff. Who knows if they'll ever update it.

I do have my AmEx card linked to the Passbook so it is nice to see a message pop up when the card is used.

----------

I haven't had a bank account in over a decade. Don't know why anyone uses them anymore with all their ridiculous fees that they need to charge to pay for all their retail locations and the overhead that comes with that.

I have three different accounts: Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard. I use Fidelity for my retirement accounts, Vanguard for my savings accounts (I make passive investments into their index funds), and Schwab is where I do my "banking". With Schwab I get a debit card that has zero transaction fees - Schwab covers all charges I get from ATM machines.

All three have great iOS apps and I have linked up all three accounts so I can easily transfer money between them. All three of them have mobile photo check depositing.

Yeah - I actually signed up for Schwab earlier. I was about to sign up a Chase account but saw the various fees which are annoying. However, USAA actually has the same policies as Schwab in that they refund your ATM fees and give you an interest earning checking account.

I've heard about the other two but haven't expanded my investments yet. Darn shiny things keep popping up.

As for USAA, their old policy was that you could not use Mobile Deposit unless you are military or is related to someone with a military background. I actually just tried again due to the responses above and I was able to setup Mobile Deposit now - I guess they must have changed policies... so it looks like I can stick with them for now since they're on par with Schwab and the only thing I was missing was the mobile deposit part.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012

As a college student Chase has an awesome student checking/savings option. I like their overdraft redemption plans too, I've never been hit with that stupid $38 fee because they give you about 48 hours to bring your account back to positive. Anything $5 and below will not be counted as an overdraft which is useful as a college kid lol! Other than that the rewards I get for banking with them are pretty sweet and their representatives are always first to contact me when anything looks weird or suspicious. I love Chase!

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
As a college student Chase has an awesome student checking/savings option. I like their overdraft redemption plans too, I've never been hit with that stupid $38 fee because they give you about 48 hours to bring your account back to positive. Anything $5 and below will not be counted as an overdraft which is useful as a college kid lol! Other than that the rewards I get for banking with them are pretty sweet and their representatives are always first to contact me when anything looks weird or suspicious. I love Chase!
Chase knows college students don't have much money. They're going to treat you well so that you stay as customers. Once you graduate into the real world and start applying for mortgages, more credit, and you start getting a real income, THEN they won't be so kind.

And then your opinion of them will change.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I'm very happy with Natwest's app, it works perfectly you can transfer fund to contacts (phonebook etc) everything instant couldn't ask for more really.

Although they haven't adopted the iOS7 design but who cares the functionality is still there :) who cares what it looks like

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I only have one bank so I've only used the BOA app. It does work well and meets all my needs. It hasn't been updated yet for iOS7.

Same here. The mobile deposit feature in the app works great since I don't live near a BOA branch.

To the OP, I have only used BOA, so I can't comment on the other banks. However, the BOA iOS app does what its supposed to, for me at least.

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I use B of A, and it works just fine for what I need to do, which is just check balance and transfer funds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.