Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Cupertino City Council today posted a video of the press conference it held yesterday, announcing its approval of Apple's Campus 2 plans. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer spoke during the conference, thanking the community for green lighting its plans and providing some additional details on the campus.

This is a very special moment for us at Apple. We have put a tremendous amount of love and energy into this campus, and we can't wait to get started building it. Cupertino is Apple's home. We love Cupertino, we're very proud to be here, and we were thrilled that Apple Campus 2 will be a part of Cupertino.

We're going to build the best office building ever built in the world and we're going to put it in a hundred acre park, returning the site to its natural beauty. It will be a place for the best team in the industry to innovate for decades to come.

We're very grateful to the city council, to the city staff, and most importantly, our neighbors and the citizens of Cupertino and the surrounding communities who supported us last night and along the way to get to this point.
Oppenheimer went on to say that Apple's new campus will be the most environmentally friendly building of its size, using water and landscaping efficiently and garnering 70 percent of its energy from solar and fuel cells with the rest coming from green energy sources within California.

During a question and answer period when he was asked about the use of the campus should Apple vacate, Oppenheimer noted that Apple is excited about the future products it has in the pipeline, which are going to surprise and delight customers, keeping Apple at its Campus 2 location for decades to come.

apple_campus_2_sept_13.jpg
The Cupertino City Council unanimously approved Apple's "spaceship campus" on Tuesday. Provided no petitions for reconsideration are filed within the next 10 days, Apple will be able to break ground with ancillary permits later this month. A second public reading, which will result in a full set of permits, is scheduled for November 19.

Apple's first building phase will include the construction of the 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped structure along with multiple parking facilities, a fitness center, and an auditorium. During a second phase, Apple will construct offices with an additional 600,000 square feet of space and will also continue to occupy its current buildings in Cupertino and surrounding areas.

Article Link: Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Speaks About Apple Campus 2 at Cupertino Press Conference

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
During a question and answer period when he was asked about the use of the campus should Apple vacate, Oppenheimer noted that Apple is excited about the future products it has in the pipeline, which are going to surprise and delight customers, keeping Apple at its Campus 2 location for decades to come.

Looking forward to the renders of a deserted, post-apocolyptic Campus 2.

Tim Cook is LEGEND. :D

Catalyx

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
Jokes and insults about the Apple Mothership are going to going to be de rigueur

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Wait...

Why not wait a few years and see if Apple can still fly on it's own once Job's momentum runs out?

eyebex

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Less emphasis on building mansions for yourselves, more emphasis on product innovation, please.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Why not wait a few years and see if Apple can still fly on it's own once Job's momentum runs out?

Yeah, because the whole of Apple's hardware design, software design, business, financial, marketing, and legal teams were all directly run by Jobs—a one-man company.

:rolleyes:

hjandersen

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Is this guy completely retarded or just briefed poorly? :confused:

"We are making the most environment friendly building that has ever been build... Beginning with energy... ..70% of the total energy consumption will be produced on site by solar power.."

Fun fact: Hundreds of thousands of buildings in the world are producing energy surplus - some by 50 to 100%..

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
It would be cool if all those trees around the campus were apple trees, just like Steve Jobs house's yard.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

"We are making the most environment friendly building that has ever been build... Beginning with energy... ..70% of the total energy consumption will be produced on site by solar power.."

Fun fact: Hundreds of thousands of buildings in the world are producing energy surplus - some by 50 to 100%..

To be fair he started off with "We think..."

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

"And when we do take off from this planet in our spaceship, you can set aside the land as a park."

What an idiotic question. I wonder how Steve would have responded or if he'd just looked at them like, "Did you really just ask me that?"

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
So, Sir Jonny Ive isn't content with making iPhones out of atoms that naturally occur in this corner of the Multiverse, and Tim ( I'm well rich ) Cook builds him his own personal particle-accelerator???

An iPhone made of pure Higg's Bosons is going to be well heavy!

----------

Hard to imagine a more impressive building anywhere else in the world. Very unique.

Notice there are no doors on the outside perimeter?
The only employees will have to sit in the trees while they build it around them, or get born in there.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand

As the CFO of the richest company of the world, I think he is far from retarded. What I do think is you're just nitpicking on small details. People don't have to speak like a legal document all the time. :rolleyes:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I bet Steve would of loved to have been at that press conference.

I'm sure Steve is there; just non-corporeal.

----------

It would be cool if all those trees around the campus were apple trees, just like Steve Jobs house's yard.

Actually the plan is to plan most of the common orchard trees in Cupertino. That will include apples but mostly peaches.

----------

What an idiotic question. I wonder how Steve would have responded or if he'd just looked at them like, "Did you really just ask me that?"

I do see buildings along Green Valley and further down De Anza like the City Center complex moved out and into the Mothership. Yes, if they like it or not, this new campus is called "mothership" by many already.

My take is they will never leave The Loop for historic reasons. First, Steve Jobs last office on the 4th floor of Inifinte Loop One is scheduled for preservation like Walk Disney's office. Was told that the Jobs family and the board are the only ones with access to it now.

Hell, I can see them make The Loop a Registered Historic Landmark in a decade or so. "This is the lap the first iPod / iPhone was built in." and other spots of historic worth. This is already happening over at Intel.

Thus, The Loop becomes a "newly bread and nearly dead" building like many Frank Lloyd Wright office buildings. That is the nostalgic, good looking building seats new recruits to awe them and becomes an "away from the BS" retreat spot out of the Mothership when that is in full swing.

----------

"And when we do take off from this planet in our spaceship, you can set aside the land as a park."

Last edited by a moderator:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Actually the plan is to plant most of the common orchard trees in Cupertino. That will include apples but mostly peaches.

I thought they were going to plant drought-tolerant native plants and return the site to its natural state? I liked that idea. Seemed suitably forward thinking for a tech company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.