Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Someone mentioned known logic board issues on the 2011s with the AMD discrete graphics. Any known issues with the 2012 and the discrete 650M?

I am in the same boat and I am debating adding it to my 2012 15" i7.

I bought it on our first two iMacs in 2007 and it paid off as both internal drives died right around 2.5 years. I also added it to our 2011 iMacs. Though the price on AC for the iMac is considerably less.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
I'm pretty sure there were no issues with the 6XXX series graphic cards.

The 650M is perfectly fine. Issues were present in older MBPs that used Nvidia 8600GT GPUs due to the soldering process.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
It has been pretty rock solid for me. *knock on wood*

Though now that I am playing Civ 5 with it, the temp gets up to a good 160-180F with fans maxed. I am going to try and disable it and run the HD4000 and see if the game plays fine still.

Wife plays it on her MBA with HD5000 and her's doesn't get nearly as warm. Yes the CPU is way under clocked as well when it doesn't need it, so that may impact it as well.

As long as the Main boards don't fail, I am comfortable changing out other components if needed.

Was hoping the SSD would drop the heat some, but I really didn't do much gaming before. She did play Sims3 on it before. NOt sure what the temps were then.

Still may get it for piece of mind from B&H though... still debating. As it did save us with the first two iMacs

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If your computer is working great, I see no reason to buy AppleCare.

That said my Mac Pro died a week before my AppleCare expired.

Why is it cheaper here? What are the disadvantages of buying it here instead of the more expensive on at Apple?

There are no disadvantages. The only advantage of buying at Apple is if you have the education discount and automatic registration. Since we're past the point of purchase, you want to get it as cheap as possible and don't mind waiting a few days in the mail (though you can also do in-store pickup). I would avoid other channels like Ebay which are not authorized resellers.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
If your computer is working great, I see no reason to buy AppleCare.

That said my Mac Pro died a week before my AppleCare expired.

There are no disadvantages. The only advantage of buying at Apple is if you have the education discount and automatic registration. Since we're past the point of purchase, you want to get it as cheap as possible and don't mind waiting a few days in the mail (though you can also do in-store pickup). I would avoid other channels like Ebay which are not authorized resellers.

I have purchased to date 4 Apple Care (15 inch retina for $250, 13 inch Air for $180, and two 13 inch rMBP for $180 and $150) and 3 have been out of Ebay (4th one B&H auto enroll @ $180), no issues whatsoever. So, would not rule out Ebay as it will depend on the vendor reputation.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I always find AppleCare threads amusing.

Sensible people usually bag extended warranty schemes as being a complete rip-off. But when Apple offer one suddenly it's "essential".
:)

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
I always find AppleCare threads amusing.

Sensible people usually bag extended warranty schemes as being a complete rip-off. But when Apple offer one suddenly it's "essential".
:)

I wouldn't say its essential but its less of a rip off now than before.

In the past when repairing things was easy. You can live without Applecare, unless can't use a screwdriver or have no IT friends.

The only thing you couldn't replace was the motherboard and battery. By that i mean order part for it. Even if the ram and hard drive failed you'd still come out ahead buying them on your own, possibly you could end up replacing it with a bigger drive and more ram than what came with.

But now with the Macbook air and retina macbook pro its down to just the ssd and lcd panel. The iMac is now increasingly harder to disassemble. Parts are increasingly becoming proprietary too.

Only thing left is classic macbook pro and mac mini. that has user replaceable parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the classic gets dropped and the mini's ram get soldered and proprietary ssd is used instead of a 2.5 drive.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
Applecare is just a gamble. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes you don't need it and you end up spending 180-300 bucks for nothing. Applecare not only saved me from paying for two logic board replacements, but it also gives you peace of mind and sometimes that can be priceless if the machine is your life.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Applecare is just a gamble. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes you don't need it and you end up spending 180-300 bucks for nothing. Applecare not only saved me from paying for two logic board replacements, but it also gives you peace of mind and sometimes that can be priceless if the machine is your life.

I bought Applecare for my son's Ipad 2 and got it replaced within the Applecare period. Since then, 3 out of the 4 laptops home have it, including 2 retinas.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I know amex has the +1 year warranty, so if I bought the computer and applecare with my amex, do i get an extra year on top of applecare?

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Just putting this out here.

I have an iMac that is 2 years old as of this month. I didn't purchase the Applecare or a square trade warranty.

My hard drive is going back so when I go get it repaired I am going to pay double to triple the cost of the warranty to get it repaired.

I am kicking myself for it.

When I got my 13 rmbp I bought a 3 year square trade warranty since I have been happy with their service over the few years plus I wanted the spill and damage protection that Apple care does not provide.

Either way get something unless you are comfortable with repairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.