Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS 7 adoption rates may have been slower than previously thought, according to a new report from mobile advertising firm Millennial Media, which suggests that iOS 6 adoption happened more rapidly than iOS 7 adoption.

According to the report, iOS 7 impressions on Millennial Media's advertising platform climbed an average of 185 percent each day during the seven days following the September 18 launch of iOS 7. One week after launch, 16 percent of total iOS traffic came from devices running iOS 7.

Comparatively, Millennial Media saw an average of 264 percent growth per day following the seven day release period after iOS 6 was launched on September 19, 2012. A week after launch, 35 percent of total iOS traffic came from devices running iOS 6, suggesting users adopted iOS 6 more rapidly than they adopted iOS 7.

ios6vsios7.jpg
Millennial Media hypothesizes that some consumers may have been hesitant to download iOS 7, given the major interface changes associated with the update.
What's behind these patterns? We can't say for certain, but we have a couple hunches. When comparing iOS 7 to iOS 6, we think that it is very telling that impressions were the same on Day 1, and iOS 7 slowed down significantly after that. Because iOS 7 was such a major update, it seems likely that early adopters downloaded it as soon as possible, but for other consumers, there may have been hesitation after reading about how radical the changes were. The internet was abuzz with iOS 7 reviews, and people may have decided to wait some time before adopting the new OS.
Millennial Media's data seems to directly contradict earlier reports on iOS 7 adoption, which indicated users were downloading and installing iOS 7 much more rapidly than iOS 6. Back in September, just a day after iOS 7 was released, mobile analytics firm Mixpanel reported that 36 percent of active iOS devices were already running iOS 7, while ad network Chitika estimated iOS 7 adoption at 18 percent, putting both estimates far ahead of Millennial Media's own estimates.

As of today, Mixpanel's data suggests that iOS 7 is now installed on approximately 72.5 percent of devices, with adoption continuing to climb steadily. In the past, Apple has emphasized the rapid adoption of its newest operating system upgrades as a major strength of the iOS platform comparative to competing platforms such as Android, which is plagued by fragmentation.

Article Link: iOS 7 Now on 73% of Devices, But Adoption Rates 'Much Slower' Than iOS 6

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I hate iOS 7

I loath iOS 7 :mad:
Sure, iOS 6 needed some pizzaz, but iOS 7 UI is just garbage! Steve would fire Tim if he could!
Switching to Android asap.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Does this factor in the fact that there are more iOS devices now than there were then?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I hate it. It's just ugly. Why can't we install themes that we like and want?
Apple really messed up. Simplicity in the hardware - sure but at least make the interface interesting. Yes it needs more eye candy. What I want now is a way to get it off my iPad. :mad:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I upgraded my iPhone 5 immediately but have not and probably will not upgrade my iPad 2. iOS 7 is not so great on older hardware or on iPads generally. Definitely seems like it was designed with the iPhone 5/5c/5s in mind.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
People freaked out about iOS 7 and warned other people about its "problems." It probably started off fast with the people that couldn't wait to update and slowed down when other people heard it wasn't good and didn't update.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
iOS 7 has potential, it just needs to be optimized. I will not update my iPad 3 to 7, not now, not ever. I still prefer the iOS 6 look. Wish the 5S came with iOS 6.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Myself and mostly all of my friends love iOS 7.
Even my mum loves it, and she's turning 65 this year!

Surely the huge increase in iOS devices is a big factor of this too?

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I installed the iOS 7 beta shortly after it was announced. Apparently I'm in the minority who really likes it.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
People are more knowledgeable these days, and probably will wait until 7.1 or maybe 7.2, assuming this point release are more stable.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I much refer iOS 7 to iOS 6. Is it possible the percentage of people who haven't upgraded can't upgrade due to the phone their using not being compatible?

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I'd run iOS 6 on my new 5C if that were a readily supported option. I hate that I'm counting to the "installed iOS 7" demographic.

aperture01

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Washington, DC
I'm really liking it too. I have a lot of friends who seem to figure its the end of apple. Not quite sure what that is about.

I have to admit I was skeptical at first too but I saw iOS 6 the other day and it looks quite dated.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Does this factor in the fact that there are more iOS devices now than there were then?

I think it would be more interesting to see what the percentage of devices such as the iPhone 3GS and 4th Generation iPod touch is, the latter still on sale by Apple, which aren't supported by iOS 7.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
no surprise, iOS 7 sucks.

I love it. Pretty much all of the changes make my life better day-to-day, Control Center being the best example. And frankly I really like the visual changes as well.

Honestly, this is like Facebook changing its layout. Everyone gets really upset at first and then they learn it and love it and then get upset if it changes from that. Basically, people love to complain and fear change.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
im the only one among my friends and family to have iOS7. a few got it on their iPad and they hate it so much they dont wanna update their iPhone now.

i still like it tho :) (not so much on the iPad)

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I really like iOS 7 and couldn't really imagine going back. It'd feel really clunky and fat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.