Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_ota-250x287.jpg
After iOS 7 was released, some iOS 6 users discovered that as much as 3GB of storage was being used up by an automated over-the-air download of iOS 7.

For many users, this was handy because they didn't need to wait for a large download to complete before updating -- but for those who wish to remain with iOS 6, they have found multiple gigabytes of storage used up by a software update that they will never use, with no way to free up that space.

One user, Mark Menacher of Poway, California, has filed suit in small-claims court against Apple CEO Tim Cook, alleging in a statement that "Apple's disregard for customer preferences in relation to iOS 7 is corporate thuggery".
Steve Jobs was reportedly rough on company employees in pursuit of happy customers, but Tim Cook apparently cultivates a culture of contempt for customer satisfaction in pursuit of corporate profits. It is a policy that will eventually fail.
According to CNET, Menacher asks for a way to delete the iOS 7 installer from his iOS 6 device, plus an additional $50. He has filed a similar complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Article Link: Apple Sued Over Automatic iOS 7 Downloads to iOS 6-Powered Devices

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i wonder if thats why i couldn't rid the 'other storage' on my iPad.

it was over 3 gigabytes.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
This is a reason I left California. Everyone sues anyone over the stupidest things. Way to go America this is what freedom is all about.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I get his point, but could he seriously have made it in a more over-dramatic way?

I have my doubts.

We live in a litigious time, I suppose.

Last edited:

fenlyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
Atlanta
What prevents this dude from just restoring the phone from backup? The backup doesn't contain this pre-download.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Simple solution: Install the iOS 7 download and get over yourself. iOS 7 is great, live in the now and not in the past.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
what a bunch of whiney ***********. Why don't they just install iOS7 like most of the world? You're going to have to do it eventually, legacy support never lasts long. Everything that works in iOS6 works in iOS7 except for jailbreak. The only difference is that iOS7 has a ton of more and useful features which is hard not to like, but aesthetics. If you don't want to upgrade based on aesthetics, that's just vain and silly.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Or just update to iOS 7 and get over it...

Exactly this. People insisting on sticking with iOS 6 really get under my skin. There's no need for it, regardless of what bonkers statistics and things you can come up with for why it's better than iOS 7. Update and live in the current.

Shellbo6901

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
FL
i wonder if thats why i couldn't rid the 'other storage' on my iPad.

it was over 3 gigabytes.

yep, I got the same thing on my iphone, definitely bigger than the 752mb listed.

for new phones & ipads, they should have to have usable space for the size stated, ie 16GB should be just that, needs to take in effect the unusable space and make up for it

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Some people are just addicted to bitching and complaining. This guy probably had a low data cap for his home internet connection and it used up his quota over night, so he's pissed.

99% of US Home internet plans do not have data caps. If they do, the cap is usually 100GB+. I seriously doubt he's suing for this reason. He's suing because he doesn't like colors.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
But then his phone would 'restore' to iOS 7, or not? The point is that you cannot get around this. If you have an eligible device with iOS 6, then iOS 7 will be downloaded. That's the whole point.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
How is anything in that quote relevant to what's happened here? If anything, the point here is customer satisfaction. A faster and more painless upgrade since it's already cached. Don't lash out about something completely different just because you're angry. :p

I'm in no way defending this decision though, but let's attack them for things that are at least relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.