Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is cutting iPhone 5c orders from its suppliers by 35 percent according to analysts at NPD DisplaySearch (via AllThingsD), echoing prior reports from The Wall Street Journal and Reuters.

However, the new report goes further, claiming that iPhone 5s production has been boosted by 75 percent. This would seem to be promising news for Apple because increased sales of the 5s would lift its average revenue per iPhone sold.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg
While the fate of the iPhone 5c is still to be determined, the iPhone 5s is doing quite well, indicating that Apple still has a strong hardcore base for its premium devices. It is worth mentioning that iPhone 5 production is scheduled to end Q3 2013; iPhone 4s's end of life is still to be determined, as it still receives orders of 1 to 2 million units per month and only recently started selling in Indonesia.
The iPhone 5s has been in somewhat short supply with shipping lead times of 2-3 weeks from the Apple Online Store.

Apple recently began a new print ad campaign for the iPhone 5s, the first advertisements we've seen for that device after several weeks of a sustained and prominent television campaign for the iPhone 5c.

Apple CEO Tim Cook warned earlier this year about looking at any particular rumor out of the company's supply chain because, even if one is accurate, they do not paint a full picture of Apple's operations.

Article Link: Apple Increasing iPhone 5s Production by 75%, Cutting iPhone 5c Orders by 35%

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
surprised ... not.

why buy a year old device in a cheaper to produce package if u can get the most recent one for 100€ more

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
5C sounded like a weird idea to me before it was even announced.

Not cheap enough to be the phone they want it to be.

Most people would rather just pay the extra $100 and get all the cool new features, when you think about it $100 over 2 or 3 years isn't much.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
It's not surprising to me. It's just last years phone repackaged and they made it cheaper to produce in order to squeeze whatever money they could out of it while they still could. Since sales are low(er) it looks like they can save more money by cutting production.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
This would seem to be promising news for Apple because increased sales of the 5s would lift its average revenue per iPhone sold.

Uh, not unless they're changing the pricing. The term you're looking for is gross profit.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
The iPhone 5C addresses no market so it's not too surprising to see it floundering.

You can't inculcate in everyone that they should only settle for the best-of-the-best phone and then expect people to get the overpriced gimped version. Equally, you can't inculcate in everyone the idea that plastic is cheap and then instantaneously change everyone's mind.

If you're gonna drop hundreds of dollars/pounds on a phone, you might as well go whole cow.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
It doesn't surprise me at all. Apple bluntly stated that the 5c was a redesigned 5. Saving $100 isn't enough to shift people towards the 5c. We all want the latest and greatest. There are a minority of people who want just colorful options.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Axe the 4S, downgrade the 5C internals to the 4S's, slap it into a 3.5" plastic body and price it crazy cheap. Now that'll sell like hot cakes Lol

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
This just shows how much people love Apple's hardware. Plastic is just not the same.

I respectfully disagree. Plastic is fine but the price was not justifiable. They cannibalized sales and resources from their own product line... and for what?

They could have made the 5c a very inexpensive phone for emerging countries and off-contract folks but they chose to price the thing almost the same as their flagship phone. That is why it is failing... has nothing to do with plastic.

Amazon has been selling Kindle's for cost, or below, for years now. Why? To get into people's homes and push their closed OS and content system. Apple could have sold the 5c for cost and reached 10's of millions of new people all over the world and made "bank" with iOS/iTunes revenue.

Tim Cook failed miserably on this one. The only people stupid enough to buy a 5c are the ones that are not aware of the millions of colored cases you can add to a 5s :rolleyes:

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Sorry, wrong thread! Original left here for embarrassment...

I'm fairly sure that iOS5 also did this, so why no lawsuit when iOS6 was released?

If you really want your 3GB back, then I suspect that erasing the device and restoring from an iCloud backup would give you back the space. Then block the Apple software update server on your wi-fi network - or fill your device until there's less than 3GB space left, which will also stop the download.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'm fairly sure that iOS5 also did this, so why no lawsuit when iOS6 was released?

If you really want your 3GB back, then I suspect that erasing the device and restoring from an iCloud backup would give you back the space. Then block the Apple software update server on your wi-fi network - or fill your device until there's less than 3GB space left, which will also stop the download.

Wrong thread!

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
People don't seem to get it on these forums. iPhone 5C is an awesome gold mine. If it is sold, they make a good margin. If it isn't, it is still pushing people to get the 5S. LET ME REPEAT THAT... The 5C sells the 5S. Why would they lower the price to $300? That makes no business sense.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

lol

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Still can't trust this report. Who really are the source(s)?

Apple is still going to sell every 5c it makes. If people prefer the premium 5s and Apple can sell all it can make of them it's still good news.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
This just shows how much people love Apple's hardware. Plastic is just not the same.

Weren't the first 3 iPhones made of plastic, or some sort of plastic/ceramic composite? I think Apple goofed by making the phone itself colorful. The 5C would look great if it were black or white, but these look like iPod touches for kids. I'm holding off to upgrade my 4S next year, but if I had a 5C I'd want to get a case to cover up the loud colors, and definitely not Apple's goofy, swiss-cheese case. I bet people don't like advertising the fact that they have an expensive phone to criminals by holding a bright piece of plastic to your head either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.