Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
. This isn't just some "ain't we cool" campaign...

This ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQl2FjaKCAQ

The one that opens like the intro to '2013 : return of the 2001 obelisk "?

The one that doesn't even show the computer functioning? The one that shows fire wiping around the edge of the top (36s). Followed by morphing into other circles of nice to look at round things.

The whole thing short of the "coming Fall 2013" looks more like opening intro to a James Bond movie ( or Sci Fi monster action flick ) than anything informative about buying or evaluating the usefulness of a computer. The whole computer isn't even on the screen for more than a couple seconds. Amorphous close-ups of sleek, black aluminum have more screen time.

Or the "Can't innovate my ass quip" ? From this article

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/13/4423844/cant-innovate-anymore-my-ass-apple.

" .... Design is how it works. ...."

Ad show that ? Not at all. Similar the choice of 'Mavericks' as the code name for OS X 10.9. Apple has done alot more posturing that doing over the majority of 2013.

Does Apple want to sell Mac Pros ? Yes. Are Mac Pros getting these uncharacteristic highlight moments purely for Mac Pro sales purposes ? No.

As usual you overstate your case - I say "Mac Pro will sell a lot" and you say "oh yeah, well Apple's going to spend more money promoting iOs devices."

As usual folks invent what I'm saying. The "mainstream appeal" aspect in this ad and in much of the Mac Pro hype is for Apple not the Mac Pro. Your "sell a lot" is relative to the current Mac Pro's Osborne effect depressed levels. Frankly, Apple would be lucky to get back to older historical Mac Pro class unit numbers. Your spin is that this is new push for Mac Pro to be a major player in the Mac desktop line up. It isn't either in pricing or in numbers sold.

The notion that folks with more money than sense will fill in the sales gaps for the folks that don't buy who have real work requirements is the same disconnected from "Design is how it work" and coupled to "isn't it pretty" ghetto that the Mac Cube sailed into. Does it work at a good value proposition would do far more to actually sell the devices than these posturing events coupled to the Mac Pro so far. Same posturing as opposed to value prop had Apple cutting rMBP 13" prices several months after release also.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The more I look at the design, the size, and the components, the more I am beginning to believe the base model might be $1999.

Digging through my old 1,1, I see how much was put into the older Pros and how much it costs in materials alone! The design of the new Pro is so simple and compressed that it might be quite inexpensive--no hard drives or cards or expansion slots, etc. etc. In essence, the 2013 Pro is a ProMini-type computer... entry versions might be surprising inexpensive ($1999) with more impressive models costing much much more.

I'm betting there is a clunker-huge power supply box coming alongside the computer.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
The more I look at the design, the size, and the components, the more I am beginning to believe the base model might be $1999.

Digging through my old 1,1, I see how much was put into the older Pros and how much it costs in materials alone! The design of the new Pro is so simple and compressed that it might be quite inexpensive--no hard drives or cards or expansion slots, etc. etc. In essence, the 2013 Pro is a ProMini-type computer... entry versions might be surprising inexpensive ($1999) with more impressive models costing much much more.

I'm betting there is a clunker-huge power supply box coming alongside the computer.
Compressed, but what material is it made out of? More carbon = more expensive. I guess we'll have to wait and see on Tuesday. :)

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
for some reason i think it is going to be cheap .. well the base model being like 1999 or something .. since i decided not to get one and just upgrade an older mac pro ..

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It is all internal.

If it is all internal and uses that little electric power, it would be amazing. It would also keep the price lower and lower. Components to build large power supplies, like the old Pro towers, are very expensive. Getting rid of those brings production costs lower.

I'm getting more convinced of a possible $1999 entry-level tower.

Hopefully the entry level is the "30k" benchmark on Geekbench. If the computer performs well, $1999 would be a worthy price for success among producers/professionals/etc. I doubt it could ever be cheaper than $1999, and I still suspect it will start at $2499.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
dunno if 30k would be for the lowest config .. which would be a quad or a hex core ..

edit

how would one connect a 30 acd to the tb ports .. cuz if i do decide to sell my mac pro tower and pick up the new one I would need to use my current acd

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country

Hope you didn't bet too much money, because we already know the answer to that one.

macpropower.jpg

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
dunno if 30k would be for the lowest config .. which would be a quad or a hex core ..

how would one connect a 30 acd to the tb ports .. cuz if i do decide to sell my mac pro tower and pick up the new one I would need to use my current acd

They were registering around 24K, if I remember, then they reportedly saw a 30k model. Probably 24K for a lower end and 30K for higher end.

I'd assume there is a cable-adaptor on Apple's website for the old 30s to get into TB or HMDI or something... isn't the mini-display port compatible with TB ports?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

Something like that, I think. I have a 30", but I don;t want to dig around to find what it is. :p

Hope you didn't bet too much money, because we already know the answer to that one.

"Remaaaaaaarrrrrrkable," to quote Little Rascals.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
If it is all internal and uses that little electric power, it would be amazing. It would also keep the price lower and lower. Components to build large power supplies, like the old Pro towers, are very expensive. Getting rid of those brings production costs lower.

I'm not sure why you are attributing so much cost to the power supply. It certainly isn't cheap, but it's not one of the main factors in the overall cost of these units. Hell, the chassis probably costs more.

And those 24k reported geekbench scores were for an 8-core. No chance that's entry level.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm not sure why you are attributing so much cost to the power supply. It certainly isn't cheap, but it's not one of the main factors in the overall cost of these units. Hell, the chassis probably costs more.
The chassis and power supplies are a lot of money. I'm not hinging price only on power supply, just not typing about all the points I realize can bring price down on the newest Pro.

Apple has brought the size down, eliminated a lot of hardware, and made a less-complex device. The major expense is still in the processors and memory, but the housing and surrounding architecture is now heavily trimmed.

We'll see (in a few days, I hope).

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia

edit

30,000 geekbench will be about as high as the top end model gets. There are 32 bit results up already for this processor.

Just take a look at the Windows geekbench scores for similar IB V2 Xeon CPUs that have already been released - it will give you a good idea of what we can expect.

In regards to the 30" ACD DVI monitors yes you can use them with adapters - HOWEVER there is this annoying little thing called HDCP which means that a lot of content you purchase on your APPLE iTunes account to play on your APPLE computer with your APPLE monitor won't play back.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
30,000 geekbench will be about as high as the top end model gets. There are 32 bit results up already for this processor.

Just take a look at the Windows geekbench scores for similar IB V2 Xeon CPUs that have already been released - it will give you a good idea of what we can expect.

In regards to the 30" ACD DVI monitors yes you can use them with adapters - HOWEVER there is this annoying little thing called HDCP which means that a lot of content you purchase on your APPLE iTunes account to play on your APPLE computer with your APPLE monitor won't play back.

Hmm everything so far plays fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.